What is the allure of the 1911 for you?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Shocker2000, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2016
    Something I've thought about from time-to-time. What is the allure of the 1911 to me?

For me, I like mechanical things. I also have a high attention to detail I can't turn off.

I don't like polymer guns, and I don't like striker fired pistols. I tend to like all metal guns with a hammer - Sigs, CZ, revolvers, and of course 1911s.

My first 1911 was a bubba'd up piece of doo-doo. I took it to a reputable gunsmith and he quoted me $1300 to FIX it. That was several years ago, and a great learning experience. The smith spent a good hour inspecting the gun with me, and showing me what to look for in a 1911, and how to do a proper inspection.

The trigger and accuracy drew me to the platform. I've always liked cars that required constant tweeking - think classic VW's and classic Mini Coopers. Manually adjusting valves, oil leaks, and Lucas wiring all come to mind. I suppose it's frustrating, but rewarding.

So, with that mindset, I like the 1911 in that it can be a work of art, a mechanical marvel, simple, yet complicated, puzzling, and can be improved in various ways. When it becomes boring reliable, it's fun, but can become boring in some regards because I like to tinker. My wife also likes to shoot 1911s, so that's a plus.

What's YOUR draw to the 1911?

2. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky Supporting Addict

Jun 14, 2013
    I was drawn to them by ipsc competition. I like the history and lines of the platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

xerts1191, Mike A, Blue Ridge and 4 others like this.

3. WHEELS

WHEELS 1911ADDICT

May 12, 2015
    It was the looks of the gun that attracted me.
    It just looks like what a gun is suppose to look like.
    IMO anyway.
    You can have a room full of guns and I'll be drawn to the 1911 just like the best looking girl in the room.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    1L26, Chief1297, xerts1191 and 14 others like this.
  4. WWB

WWB Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Trigger, accuracy, way they feel in your hand, and of coarse how they look nothing else comes close IMO.

1L26, Weiker, Grouchy and 16 others like this.
  5. WHEELS

WHEELS 1911ADDICT

May 12, 2015
    Very well stated.
    I want to change my answer to this.:p

Crpoc, xerts1191, Slapshot and 7 others like this.
  6. sigmanx

sigmanx Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2016
    I love the feel, weight, and smoothness of the action as well as the .45.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

xerts1191, Mike A, Blue Ridge and 5 others like this.
  7. FWoo45

FWoo45 The whole world is about three drinks behind. Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2017
    The 1911 is dead sexy. The weight, the trigger, the look, the history. My favorite. Sweet wheel guns are second for now as far as handguns go.

8. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’ve been a watch guy since I was 8. My Dad taught me to shoot with a Gold Cup. Those two things just came together perfectly for me. It’s the precision Swiss watch of the gun world and it has history for me. Thankfully they also are fantastic shooters.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    UBOATDOC, xerts1191, Slapshot and 8 others like this.
  9. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    A really nice revolver is also like a nice clockwork. I like them too. Precision mechanical devices are a turn on for me. I went down the high end lighter hole a while back. I need to sell those.

xerts1191, dcsundog, Mike A and 3 others like this.
  10. Andyd

Andyd Member

Jan 25, 2018
    For me this is the epitome of an American fighting handgun.

11. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I always shot a good bit. The one range my dad always took me to when I was a kid started doing bowling pin shoots while i was off playing GI Joe. I came back and they'd done a bunch of these metal bowling pins on chains for practice. I came home on leave at 20 and dad took me shooting. He had this kimber something or other that i was shooting and it just kept knocking the 25yrd metal pin back and back again and back again. I kinda liked shooting it.

xerts1191 and Shocker2000 like this.
  12. Hardball

Hardball Active Member

Oct 19, 2017
    For as long as I can remember, I had seen 1911s, and revolvers around. My dad, uncle, and grandpa all had the same make/model. When dad knew that I was ready for centerfire pistols, I got to try his, I had no problem "keeping them in the black" at about 15-20 yards. I've always liked that Springfield, even though it's not as nice as the 1911s that I now own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things! Supporting Addict

Nov 18, 2014
    Don’t know, just feels right, in your heart, you know the feeling!

14. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    amazing piece of firepower which is very accurate,ease of trigger use(single action, crisp) the way they feel in the hands( especially the way Wilson rounds the edges...) ,easy of adding options. Iam older, I like things that are older.,like cars--older is all metal and better in my book.. the 1911 has 117 years of older behind it..it is a work of art and genius all in 1

15. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Granddad had a 1911 gov't in 38 super. I didn't know what caliber it was when I was a kid. I just wanted one cause granddad had one. Uncle Sam granted that want when I was in the service. I had never fired one before qualification day. Revolvers? Sure, SAA's, S&W, snubbies, 4 inch, 5 inch. .38 special up to .45 Colt.
    First shot with the 1911, an old rattle trap with a worn out barrel and tiny sights I cut an X. Been in lust/love ever since. Been through budget and major brand name 1911's. All of them have worked, all of them have felt good in the hand, most have had good triggers, and with a touch of work great triggers. Then came 'the one'. It is an extension of my hand, points naturally, feels lighter and slimmer than any other even though the scale and measurements say they're the same.
    I consider them to be elegantly simple, yet complex beyond my ability.

16. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I share your interests and made them a part of my career. I am a weapons technician in the Canadian Army so wrenching on firearms and armoured vehicle armament is my bread and butter. The 1911 is a great platform for anyone who loves to tinker or develop skills in tuning or adjustments on actions. The interaction of moving parts in sequence to create a reaction ( firing a shot ) is fascinating. See some high speed imagery of a gun firing to see the whole thing shaking as it fires!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. azguy1911

azguy1911 Collection Complete Supporting Addict

Oct 22, 2015
    It feels right in the hand ;)

Chief1297, july19, xerts1191 and 5 others like this.
  18. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Besides the mechanical and ergonomics already mentioned, there's also something intrinsically American and iconic about the 1911 that part of the addiction. Like Baseball, Jazz, or the Constitution, John Browning designs are worth retaining and celebrating.

19. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy Supporting Addict

Oct 5, 2012
    Liked the look of the 1911, since I saw one as a kid.

It just feels right in my hand.

Pretty simple for me.

Grouchy, cwoods, xerts1191 and 6 others like this.
  20. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    It was the looks for me! Growing up and loving guns I always got the "shooters bible" every year for Christmas. All those beautiful guns! And Top of my wish list was always the 1911s. Back then it was mainly just Colt and Springfield Armory. Also, Growing up loving military movies the 1911 was the sidearm that looked so intimidating. Even in it's holster!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted