close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the allure of the 1911 for you?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Shocker2000, Feb 10, 2018.

1. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Never really thought about owning one till I stumbled across another web site that touts the 1911 as the best thing to ever grace the face of the earth. They had a picture thread of, "show us your bbq gun"! Yeezus I said to myself, glad my first was a series 80 that the previous owner incorporated a lot of Wilson Combat internals, still my favorite pistol!

Shocker2000 and Mike A like this.
  2. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    I like the history of the design. Not the story history but history like the age and lineage. I like the physical design. It matches all my rock n roll fantasies of driving a V8 with a 45 and a bottle of whiskey.

Dwe, sigmanx, limbkiller and 2 others like this.

3. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 11, 2017
    Being a rifle guy for many years I always wanted a 1911 but never took the step. Owned many pistols in semi-auto and revolvers. Got really frustrated with the semi autos when they went out of production and found it hard to get spare parts.
    I made it my mission to find a pistol that had a long history and the 1911 is it. Was astounded to look at a Brownells catalog to find 100 pages of 1911 parts. That in and of itself sold me on the platform. My first was a Ruger SR1911 full size and shot it very well. Loved it enough to buy 4 more Springfield 1911's.
    My favorite thing about the platform is you can customize it however you please. In that vein you really make the pistol "yours". Would not have it any other way.

4. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    the more I shoot the newer glocks with aftermarket triggers and sights though the more I like them.

5. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    the crayons will still work. They'll distract any Marine.

6. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2016
    Some good stories here. I like hearing about parents and grandparents shooting their 1911s as you grew up. I didn't have that pleasure. My 1911 addiction was a slow evolution.

I personally grew up on a farm in Nebraska. Our family never owned a pistol - dating back to great grandparents. Shotguns, rifles, no handguns. I suppose it came down to whatever would put food on the table, and shooting predators.

I grew up shooting BB guns, then pellet guns of various types (ending with a Benjamin .22 cal pump), 22LR, a variety of shotguns. I pretty much shot anything that moved when I was a kid - birds, rodents, badgers, snakes, bunnies, etc.

With wide open spaces, owning a pistol never even occurred to me.

Shift forward 30-40 years, and I'm in an urban area. I have flipped 180 degrees, and never shoot the types of guns I grew up shooting. It's pretty much pistols only, and started primarily for home defense. I took the whole family to a firearms safety & training class before even owning a pistol.

It started with my first pistol purchase, then the hobby aspect kicked in. I rented a Nighthawk at the range, then tried a buddies custom 1911. Suddenly, I was on the search for that perfect 1911 - either through upgrades, trades, or outright purchase.

blitz45, mikemac and FNFAN like this.
  7. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus New Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Iconic American symbol of perfect functional design and superiority in battle. 45 ACP. Clean lines, all steel, solid but not heavy. Single action trigger with a straight pull and the natural grip angle make most anyone a decent or better shooter. Slim enough to carry even a Government model easily.

A Kimber 1911 was the second pistol I ever purchased (should have been the first) and I learned to shoot with it. Showed it off to my dad and he bought one months later. Let my brother shoot it and then he bought one as well. 1911s just feel right in your hand. Your testosterone levels increase just holding them, not to mention shooting it.

Shocker2000 likes this.
  8. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    It’s History, rugged simplicity, accuracy, trigger, appearance....It’s feel, smell after shooting...
    Should I keep going?

1911 dawg, Mikey421 and Shocker2000 like this.
  9. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Iconic design
    .45 acp (and other calibers)
    The trigger
    The fit to my hand
    The weight of the all steel 1911
    The history
    and so on...

blitz45, Mikey421 and Shocker2000 like this.
  10. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER

Apr 5, 2015
    They are lovely handguns. The curve of the dustcover and how the trigger guard blends into the grip. The solid mechanical movement as it slides home when you unlock the slide on another full mag. Though I have several in stainless, my favorites are the 3 I have that are blued with wood grips. And they shoot like nothing else.

blitz45 and Shocker2000 like this.
  11. Chief1297

Chief1297 Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I will go with all of the above....

12. jrj

jrj Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    My first handun was a SA XDm .45. I like it, carried it for years before I got my SR1911. To me, the XDm feels like a gun you take with you to do things. The 1911 feels like a gun you take with you to get things done. The feeling in the hand, trigger, look, and history just make it seem so perfect.

13. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    I like them because they are like the Chevy small blocks of firearms, IE the best design EVER.

George

14. pistolpete

pistolpete Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't know why I like them. It's a sickness of some kind , must have caught it at the gun club. I just bid on number 8.

Dwe, blitz45, Shocker2000 and 2 others like this.
  15. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    I also wanted to add that when people know you carry/own a 1911 via conversation they treat you differently. All of a sudden you are an expert marksman, a super collcector, a gunsmith, a cowboy, a spy, etc. I noticed when I am talking to people no one cares about if you own/carry Glock, M&P, “popular gun.” A 1911 brings out a different reaction. Makes me feel cool. Dumb reason but we all know we love how it looks, handles, and shoots.

16. rk1911

rk1911 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2017
    I have large palms and the fit, balance of the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power are perfect for me.

My first 1911 was a Delta Elite. Next wasa Bob Chow National Match then a Swenson Gold Cup both of which I still own.

I collect custom 1911s when discretionary funds are available.

blitz45, Shocker2000 and Mikey421 like this.
  17. Crewchief

Crewchief Member

Sep 7, 2017
    For me, it's 3 main reasons:

1 - It was the first handgun I ever shot, at age 18 in the US Army. It was a very easy firearm to learn (even if those poor old 1911's we were issued in basic training rattled like rattlesnakes).

2 - I've got very small hands. I saw rk1911 above saying that he had large palms and the 1911 fit him well. I can barely span an octave on a piano, and I think I've found maybe one double-stacked striker fired handgun that fit me well enough to be comfortable. But a 1911 just fits.

3 - I've looked inside some striker-fired handguns, and there's no way I'd ever consider doing more than popping off the slide and barrel to clean. Little tiny clips and springs and whatnot just waiting for a chance to crawl under a workbench when you release tension. On the other hand, I've taken my 1911s down to their component bits on several occasions, and never had a concern about getting them back together. And, along those lines, the way JMB designed for field expediency is just beautiful to see, even more than 100 years later. The way the front of a standard GI magazine can be used as a bushing wrench. Or, the way, in an emergency, an empty shell casing can be used for a plunger. Or the way that, if you have standard, flat-tipped screws on the handgrip, you can do a full disassembly of the handgun with no additional tools or parts. It truly is a weapon designed to be used an maintained on a battlefield by soldiers. Not many other firearms can make that claim.

My $0.02.

CC

18. Grouchy

Grouchy New Member

Apr 5, 2015
    As a kid in the 40s I was always admiring handguns in catalogs but Dad was a shotgunner, a meat hunter, no rifles or handguns. When CMP offered them for sale in the 60s I bought one for $12 + $4 shipping. The grip fit, the grip angle was right, the lines were appealing, controls were well-placed, the trigger was OK, and the feeling of recoil and return to battery turned me on. A dozen 1911s later my favorite game to play with 1911s is Wild Bunch Action Shooting, an offshoot (no pun intended) of Cowboy Action Shooting. Access to a private gun club nearby means lots of shooting with the ultimate semiautomatic pistol. I several Glocks, Berettas, Rugers but the 1911 is THE ONE! I should be buried with one to use in the 'afterlife' as were the pharaohs of Egypt buried with their equipment.

19. Time Exposure

Time Exposure Member

Mar 4, 2017
    I began shooting about a year and a half ago. Researched advice and determined 9mm was the caliber for me, and shot everything the range had for rent. When I exhausted that supply, I decided to rent a HK USP .45 to see what that caliber was like. I loved it. Followed up with a SIG P220. Loved it, too.

I avoided 1911's because I didn't understand the intricacies between different manufacturers and their lines, calibers, prices, sizes, etc. When I discovered I liked the .45 in the HK and SIG, I rented a Springfield Mil Spec at the range. I was blown away by the perfect heft and feel of the grips in my hand, how manageable the recoil was, the feel of the crisp, short trigger and reset, and how accurate my shots were.

The rabbit hole manifested itself in the quick acquisition of three Wilsons, five Nighthawks, and a Springer Pro TGO-1. When the fever subsided (sorry, but it did), I realized the 1911 was for me a range gun only, and that I preferred the government/full size. I do not like the single action as a carry or defense gun because I don't trust myself to remember to sweep the safety off, and I don't want to train for it.

I'm down to the Springer and one Nighthawk T3 (officer size, which I do not prefer). When I get organized, both of those will be sold like the other seven. Sacrilege I suppose, but I decided to consolidate to guns I like for defense. And my HK45 is as accurate in my hands as any of the fancy 1911's I have had the pleasure of shooting.

Apologies to those who threw up a little in their mouths at the thought of using a plastic gun in place of a 1911. Don't get me wrong, I still love the 1911. I just don't see any reason to tie up the funds with one that I'll never carry or keep beside the bed.

20. Brent

Brent Avid 1911 Shooter

Apr 12, 2017
    Everything has been said. Group hug and then let's go to the range. :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted