1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1911 Totin' *******!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, sorry for the crappy cell pics. I can't seem to find my digital camera since I moved.

I noticed this when I first got my Kimber(bought it used) and didn't really think much of it because it was only a little spot but it has gotten worse. I tried getting it of using the Hoppes #9 that I use to clean all my guns with but it didn't come off. What is it and how do I get it off?

·
1911 Totin' *******!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the fast responses! It doesn't appear to me to be rust, but I could be wrong??? It almost looks more like oxidation or something. Again I could be wrong but I have had guns start to rust before and this does not appear to be rust. I wish I could get some better pictures.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Google "kimber barrel rust" and you'll find plenty of examples, some of which are brand new guns.

·
1911 Totin' *******!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Google "kimber barrel rust" and you'll find plenty of examples, some of which are brand new guns.
I have heard of the problems with Kimber's barrels rusting before. It may be rust, you all are probably right. I'm gonna wait it out and see if it starts pitting. If it does will any 5" 1911 barrel just drop right in or do I have to get a new Kimber barrel? This really pisses me off. I have had zero complaints with my Kimber thus far, and thought I lucked out and got a good one but this makes me have second thoughts.

·
1911 Totin' *******!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can try some rust remover to see if it works.
Thanks, I think I will try that. What can it hurt?

I'd say keep it oiled and run it... Ron
Just got done oiling it up and detail stripping and cleaning it getting it ready for the range tomorrow. This was my first time detail stripping a 1911 and I must say it was easier than I thought it was gonna be.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Just pulled my three Kimbers out to check for rust. They were all as shiney as the day I bought them. Put a little extra oil on them anyway.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts