1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I'm wondering what kind of ammunition people use when they're at the range and also the kind of ammunition that load up in their mags for the proverbial "situation gone wrong." I'm actually kind of surprised that I didn't find a thread discussing this already, but I'm going to chalk it up to my poor searching ability. I'll get the ball rolling.

For range ammunition, my choice is affected by what the best prices are. I keep telling myself that I'm going to buy from Ammoman or the like, but I can never seem to sway my preference for immediate gratification. In the last few months, I tended to mass purchase from Wal Mart. At first, it was 100-round boxes of Winchester White Box. Wal Mart restocked their shelves with 50-round boxes of Federal Champion and I bought all those. It looks like they've now moved to Remington UMC, but the prices are getting to a point where Ammoman is likely my next choice.

Regarding defensive ammunition, I want to preface this by saying that I in no way tested various lines of ammunition before I made a selection. My decision was strictly based on numbers and what seemed to make the most sense to me composition-wise. In .45 ACP, I selected Cor-Bon DPX. I believe that this ammunition is currently the hardest hitting, speaking from a strictly numbers perspective. The solid copper composition seems like it would be more effective than the conventional hollowpoint. In 9mm, my selection is Winchester Ranger +P+. Again, looking at numbers, these seem to be one of the best. In .357, I selected Speer Gold Dots. This line of ammunition seems to be the standard to which all others are based. However, I must say that I didn't research .357 nearly as much as I did 9mm or .45.

I could get into rifle and shotgun ammo selection, but I just wanted to get things started, especially since I posted in General 1911 Talk. If the conversation steers towards that direction, I'd happily say what I keep "for a rainy day."

Rgds,
PRPV

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Range- Reloads. 200gr LSWC and hardball.
Defense- I tend to go with the heaviest weight available. A rounded contour for autos. In .45 which is my nightstand gun, I use hardball for feed and function reliability and liability issues associated with my location and it's political climate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For range ammo I use the most economical ammo I can find, usually WWB. For carry ammo, I have been using Winchester Personal Defense since it is easily available.

I don't want to step on any toes here but I think people stress too much about carry ammo, and range ammo for that matter. As long as it works reliably, it's good enough for me. My focus is more on getting the round -- whatever it is -- on target.

Max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Max, you raise a good point. I value shot placement the most. Oddly enough, the one handgun I carry the most right now would be my Browning 1910 in .32 ACP with S&B FMJ (it's all I could find at the time). Now that it's getting colder here, I can carry bigger handguns, but the pocket shooter is so convenient. Most people wouldn't go smaller than .380, but I don't think a common mugger, burglar, etc, who probably isn't wearing anything but the standard fall coat, t-shirt and jeans, wouldn't be able to withstand a well placed .22. Of course, this is all speculation because I never had to use deadly force and I don't hope to any time soon.

If you'd ask me why I pick the ammo that I do, I would have to think hard about it, but what it would come down to is peace of mind, illfounded or not.

·
Pulling my hair.
27,379 Posts
For range ammo I use the most economical ammo I can find, usually WWB. For carry ammo, I have been using Winchester Personal Defense since it is easily available.

I don't want to step on any toes here but I think people stress too much about carry ammo, and range ammo for that matter. As long as it works reliably, it's good enough for me. My focus is more on getting the round -- whatever it is -- on target.

Max
Can't add to that.:thumb:

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
Well... I actually prefer federal American Eagle 230rg FMJ for the 5" 45, but I've been running 115gr FMJ Blazer brass in the 9mm.. I'll shoot most anything that'll run at the range..

For PD, it really depends on the pistol. Winchester Range is loaded in the 5" stuff and Remington Golden Saber is in the 4 1/4" stuff. I have some other stuff that runs on in the 4 1/4" pistols like Federal HS barnes short pistol stuff. 380 is a lot more picky and I have pretty much a mix of stuff that's known to run for me. One thing I don't have is Speer Gold Dot.. That stuff hates me and I'd have better luck just throwing it at somebody.

The old WWB HP runs well for me in the 5" pistols too.. Ron

·
Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year
385 Posts
Range: WWB (9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP, .223)

Defense:
9mm: Ranger 127 +p+
Speer Gold Dot 147

.38 Special: Buffalo Bore LSWCHP 158 +p

.45 ACP: Ranger 230 +P
Speer Gold Dot 230

5.56: Lake City 62 Penetrator

·
NRA Life Member
3,794 Posts
Range: Whatever is in stock at Walmart
Carry: Golden Sabers

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm currently a plastic-only guy, when it comes to pistols :oops: (Quack told me to come here, so that I can learn before I buy :thumb:), so y'all have to pardon the 9mm talk. :tongue: I favor the heavier 147 gr. rounds for SD/HD, and of these, I like the Federal HST and the Speer GDHP, both in standard loadings.

For range ammo, my XDms eat practically anything I throw at them, but I like WWB's 115-gr. FMJ offering, and also Speer's "Lawman" 147 gr. FMJ. I'll pick up whatever's cheap, though, and store it as "backup" for when I run low on WWB.

In my 870, my chosen HD ammo is Federal's 12-ga. 00, with the Flitecontrol wad. For the range, again, it's pretty much anything and everything - it's a pump shotgun, what won't it eat? :grin:

For the AR? I have no clue. :rofl2: I've got a bunch of various ammo to test out!

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Range: American Eagle( 9mm 124gr,45acp 230gr )

Defense:(TIE)
1ST CHOICE:185gr Critical Defense or Hornady 185xtp (45acp.)

(TIE)
1st CHOICE:124GR Ranger 124gr+p+ or 124gr Golden Sabre +p Bonded( 9mm)

DAT85

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,921 Posts
Range: .45 - WWB 230 grain or Atlanta Arms sold by indoor range

10mm - 180 grain Atlanta Arms, Georgia Arms or PRVI JHP

.357 and 44 mag - Atlanta Arms

PD: .45 - HST 230 grain

10mm - Double Tap 180 grain Saber tips, or possibly SwampFox 200 grain XTP

357 - 158 gr XTP

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Range: My reloads. Both 9mm & .45.
Carry: Gold Dots or PDX. Both 9mm & .45. I also carry my on SD loads in .45 sometimes.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Range ammo
9mm - currently Federal American Eagle 115 fmj, working on switching to Black Hills Remanufactured 115 fmj because Black Hills is some great ammo
.45 - currently Federal American Eagle 230 fmj, also working on switching to BH Remanufactured 230 fmj

Carry/defense ammo - I am not against carrying fmj in .45, it makes a pretty big hole already and feeds reliably
9mm - Black Hills 124 jhp (I believe it is a Hornady XTP bullet from the looks of it, though you can't confirm that anywhere because BH won't disclose the brand of bullet)
45 - BH 230 fmj, currently building up some BH 230 jhp for testing and use

I thoroughly respect Black Hills ammo, I use their rifle ammo for hunting also with great success. I also like buying my jhp ammo in boxes of 50 instead of puny boxes of 20.

Andy

·
Low capacity, low tech...
4,303 Posts
Range is whatever I have in the bag or can find at Wallyworld. As for HD, anything JHP that has ran thru the gun; Hydrashok, Golden Saber or Critical Defense. And all of them ran thru without any issues.

·
What No Delete Button?
348 Posts
9mm Range ammo-Reloads
9mm Defense ammo- Federal HST's

.45 Range ammo-Federal AE 230gr fmj
.45 Defense ammo-Winchester Ranger RA45T's

I haven't purchased the caliber conversion kit for the .45 yet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts