What is your draw technique for Milt Sparks SS2 type holsters?

Discussion in 'Training' started by B81, Mar 30, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I really like my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster. It's the most comfortable IWB I've ever used. I am, however, having a little trouble establishing a good shooting grip when drawing from this holster.

The problem stems from the fact that it holds the guns grip tight to my body. This is a huge advantage for purposes of concealment, but it makes it difficult for me to get my thumb around the back of pistol while the gun is in the holster. I often find myself needing to readjust my grip after I draw.

For those of you who carry IWB at 3/4 o'clock, what draw technique do you use?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    The SS2 is my favorite IWB as well, and I use them for both 1911s and a Glock 26.

Particularly with the 1911s, I find myself pulshing the grip forward once the the gun is holstered, almost to the point that the grip is parallel with my side if that makes sense - i.e., the mag floorplate is parallel to the ground. I’ll see if I have a pic to better illustrate or, if not, I’ll take one later. For me, this helps with concealment and enables me to get away with just an untucked T-shirt as a covering garment if I want to. It’s one of the things that made the SS2 my favorite.

That’s said - I haven’t really had any issues gripping / drawing the gun or having to readjust once drawn.

B81 likes this.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ll try to take a new pic tomorrow. Both of these are close-to-but-not-quite what I’m talking about.

In the 1911 shot - I’d push / tilt the holster farther such that the rear sight was nearer to if not touching the belt.

E8CD6B13-B6CE-487D-A0BE-EE635B580D37.jpeg 80DAD456-0394-42AA-96E2-31E5ACC3E6F2.jpeg

Journeyman1234 and B81 like this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Everything's a trade off.
    The better the concealment, the more deliberate the draw stroke.

In a perfect world my carry/concealment holster would allow a draw like my Ghost range holster, while concealing the gun with a T shirt.
    Nope.

With my carry holster that holds gun "high and tight", I have to be fairly deliberate about my grip on the gun before presentation- or I end up with a handful of shirt and a crap grip on the gun.

Having my T shirt/undergarment tucked in well helps.
    I sweep cover garment, come DOWN on gun-establishing proper grip- and clear the holster.
    Rapidly.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is a large part of the requirement for concealed carry.
    If I see a problem coming and am prepared for it, I am not behind the curve.

5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    I usually use my SSII and 5-Shot IBS at the 3 o’clock, or just in front of the pant loop. I don’t split the loop. I dont have any issues with the draw, but the 17ish degree cant of the holster can take some time to get used to.

Make sure when you’re clearing your shirt, that you kinda lean your torso to the 9 o’clock (opposite side), to give your hand a clear shot to grip the gun. That small torso movement will put your firing hand and arm at a straight angle to the gun and hopefully prevent you having to readjust your grip once you’re clear of the holster.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback.

I currently carry the holster such that the holster loops are just behind the belt loop on my jeans, putting the gun closer to the 4 o'clock position. This is where the gun seems to conceal best on my body and ride most comfortably. But, it also puts the upper part of the grip and slide hard against my torso.

I'm going to try moving the holster forward to the 3 o'clock position, which is what you guys appear to be doing. It looks likes Jason Burton also carries his SS2 at 3 o'clock.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Jollyroger1 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  7. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Practice, practice, practice. Jolly's advice is spot on as well.

Jollyroger1, WhoIsJohnGalt? and B81 like this.
  8. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    When I go for the gun I lean slightly to the left at the waist. It clears a little space between my torso and the holster and provides for a more straight-line presentation. Travis Haley demonstrates what I'm talking about in this video. He seems to use the term "small of the back carry" interchangeably with "4:00 carry" but the technique is still the same. Jump ahead to about 1:10.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Perfect! This is what I needed. Thank you.

10. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    @Jollyroger1 talked about the same thing above but I thought the video might add something.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  11. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    It’s all good sir. Travis is who I got that info from as well. :)

B81 and InstiGator like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted