1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I am in the middle of customizing a few of my own pistols. 1.) is an Emp4 which I have fast backed and did some multiple upgrades to, and still plan on doing a few more cosmetic thing, as of now gun shoot amazing, and functions flawlessly. 2.) is a Kimber TLE Ultra SS II again with quite a few upgrades.. And 3.) is a Kimber Pro Carry II SS in 9mm .. All of these have had barrel flushed and crowned. Extended slide catches, Tuned and fitted, trigger jobs, countersunk slide catch and flush...Flared magwells, custom grips.. So, my question is geared more towards Carry cuts, bevel cuts, top of slide serrations, porting, French borders etc.... Also if you are fond of multiple please share. For instance if you like Top slide ribbing, rear slide serrations, Beveled edge slide, dehorned frame so forth. I have seen some tastefully done 1911's with just a few cosmetic upgrades, and then I have seen ones with multiples that look good, but also have seen some I considered to be overdone... So, looking for tasteful but, not overdid... Top and rear of slide serrations were the first things that come to mind for me... Pics if you got em?

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,737 Posts
AE14A821-2F9E-4020-8163-AB55E0F5B12B.jpeg
598BEBBA-5B9C-483E-9098-EFA87537A60C.jpeg

Ball cuts, carry cuts, heavy chamfer, flush cut & countersunk slide stop, flush cut & crowned barrel, ball mills top of slide, extended thumb safety, beaver tail grip safety added, lowered & flared ejection port w/live round clearance, one piece msh/magwell blended, carbide textured grip!!
This is my work in progress and I started with a standard GI ATM in 45 acp still planning to undercut trigger guard and change out sights.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 81619 View attachment 81620
Ball cuts, carry cuts, heavy chamfer, flush cut & countersunk slide stop, flush cut & crowned barrel, ball mills top of slide, extended thumb safety, beaver tail grip safety added, lowered & flared ejection port w/live round clearance, one piece msh/magwell blended, carbide textured grip!!
This is my work in progress and I started with a standard GI ATM in 45 acp still planning to undercut trigger guard and change out sights.
I do like the ball mills on top of the slide, was considering this for one of my slides. And was wondering about the carry cuts with a bull barrel, seems to be it wouldn't be wise in the case where a conical barrel is using the slide for an actual bushing so to speak. Or is it so minor that it doesn't matter? I see them on conventional Bushing barrel guns, but don't recall seeing them on a bull barrel set up.

·
Never Forget
8,984 Posts
I do like the ball mills on top of the slide, was considering this for one of my slides. And was wondering about the carry cuts with a bull barrel, seems to be it wouldn't be wise in the case where a conical barrel is using the slide for an actual bushing so to speak. Or is it so minor that it doesn't matter? I see them on conventional Bushing barrel guns, but don't recall seeing them on a bull barrel set up.
I've seen a bull barrel with carry cuts on a Wilson. Matter of fact, I may be crazy, but I think saw them on a Tactical Elite. Also consider, any Professional or Compact Wilson will have a bull barrel unless it is the Commander specific model. I've owned two Professionals with carry cuts.

·
Make it a double
16,663 Posts
My top two would be flattened and grooved top and ball cuts. Other things are functional therefore not included here.

Some would argue a flattened top is functional but that is up for debate.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts