What is your favorite base gun for customization?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by B81, Feb 9, 2019.

Tags:

What is your favorite base gun for customization?

1. Colt Series 70 (mil spec)

2. Colt Series 80 (basic Government model)

3. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec

4. Dan Wesson A2

5. Springfield Armory Range Officer

6. Dan Wesson Heritage (RZ-45)

7. Other Colt

8. Other Springfield Armory

9. Other Dan Wesson

10. Other unlisted brand or model

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm interested to here what you guys think is the best base gun for customization and why?

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Depends on the type of build. You intend to do a fluff and Buff then a Dan Wesson will work great Full Build either a Springer Mil Spec or a Colt Series 70.

3. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Sort of like 'resale red' in the classic car market, if you plan to off-load it one day and want to get as much as you can for it, might as well go with Colt. If you want the legacy, might as well again go with Colt. If you don't much care about either of these things, than nearly anyone else is fine. I had Dan Wesson build me a custom VBOB right from the factory, liked that approach quite a bit, and would follow a similar approach with Springfield. I sent a couple Colts to Nighthawk for a gut and rebuild, and am very happy with how they turned out. And I dumped a bunch of money into a DWA2 to have it done up by Evolution Armory, for which I have no regrets. If I had to sell, I have no doubt I'd get more money out of the Colts, but I never intend to sell. If you have no intent to sell and you mostly want cosmetic work done, I'd recommend the DW solely because you wouldn't have a need to swap out all the internals for quality concerns, so it would save you a few bucks.

4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm not really sure yet. I've got a Baer that's getting some work done right now, I'm sure I'll love it and never let it go. My DW CBOB is going to get some lovin here shortly. Recently snagged a 9mm Pony that is destined to be my unicorn in 38 super but that's a ways out. A Springer loaded half rail to bubba up myself (not really, just hand checkering and some sort of coating). As stated above, Colts hold their value the best but if you're looking at custom guns as a money maker you're wrong.
    Edit to add: if I wasnt hobbled by this damn roster it would be a 70 series. Springers hold their value second to colts or full one off builds. DW makes a fine production gun that you won't have to completely gut. This has all been stated above and I'm in a different position than most of you because my state is retarded. YMMV. Enjoy the ride.
    Double edit: I only voted 80 series because that's what I have.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    simonp, tac45, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  5. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    @FWoo45 what work are you having done on the Baer - and which model?

6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Its a custom carry with deleted FCS. Not sure about all the work yet but she's at the best spa in Nebraska under the watchful eye of some dude that lost his razor.

cwoods, tac45, boatdoc and 4 others like this.
  7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  9. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    WMG

It needs nothing as is, but can be fully customized with as much or as little sizzle you want.

10. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    If you don't want to put in a Barrel and a ton of work DW's are the best bang for the buck.. If you want a fresh new build Springfield GI, Milspec, or a Colt. DWs have the most that can be used, with only really having to tweak, and change a few things around to your personal liking, Open to a good deal of Cosmetics if you use Stainless. That is the pitfall to the Duty Treat guns and another good reason to go with the GI, or Milspec, or Colt plenty of cosmetic work can be done, and various finishes.

11. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I voted Colt Series 70 because I love that classic Colt aesthetic. That's the starting point for the look I personally would want, particularly if I could find one with clean rollmarks.

I got a deal on a Wiley Clapp stainless commander that needed some attention, and then sent it to Evolution Armory for a little spa treatment. Nothing too extensive, but I've been very happy with the result. At some point I'd love to get Dave rolling on a basic S70 for a more involved project. That's how I'd do it.

cwoods and Steve Owens like this.
  12. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Series 70 Colt or the builder’s in house frame

cwoods, boatdoc and Colorado Sonny like this.
  13. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    The old ORM Colt 1991A1s make great base guns - forged frames and slides (with all the holes in the right places), accurate barrels, they made a bunch of them and they can be found cheap. I have three custom ORM 1991A1s, one in each size.

FWoo45, simonp, limbkiller and 2 others like this.
  14. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I have 2 times (maybe more :/) the amount of the purchase price put into a 19. Still looking for that perfection..

wcanterbury and GIJoke like this.
  15. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I know this is off topic a little, but for the life of me have never understood why folks would send a $400 Glock in for a $1,000 or so of customization. For crying out loud it's a "GLOCK". A semi disposable gun that is of minimal value. If you are going to end up with $1,500 - 1,800 in a Glock just take your money and buy a real gun to start with. Different folks, different strokes I guess.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    cgff, simonp, Jollyroger1 and 5 others like this.
  16. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Because it's cool... Mall ninja cool.

WC145, Colorado Sonny and GIJoke like this.
  17. GIJoke

Aug 28, 2018
    Probably for Janks like this (although I still have reservations about dumping a grand into anything...well, maybe two grand...ok, three is the limit bra!!!)

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/john-wick-combat-master-package/

upload_2019-2-10_15-19-47.png

wcanterbury likes this.
  18. GIJoke

Aug 28, 2018
    I always wanted to be a ninja when I grow up...even the mall variety with the most tacticool janks!

wcanterbury and UBOATDOC like this.
  19. GIJoke

Aug 28, 2018
    And why no love for the Jennings? I’ll have a solid $1500 in this one when I’m done!
    upload_2019-2-10_15-26-19.jpeg

20. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    With a closet full of grunt style shirts, over sized Oakleys and a bumper covered in magpul stickers that dream may just come true some day..

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted