1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to a buddy the other day about how night sights have kind of out lived their popularity~! I for one don't see a use for night sights on a gun unless 1.) Your carrying it and you know you will be out at night with it. Or 2.) A nightstand home protection fire arm..

I personally have become very fond of a blacked out rear and FO front, between age, eyesight and a lot of sensitivity to sunlight. I have found the fiber optic "Red" specifically much easier to see, and aim with..
I am also a fan of rear adjustable as I prefer to shoot poa=poi rather than just regular combat style sights~!

What does everyone else prefer. Not talking style so much, as I am configuration.. But, style of sight will work as well. Let me here it, and also what kind of shooting and a little bit as to why you like the sights and the configuration you do...

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
23,187 Posts
Gold bead front for carry.
Night sights for bedside.

I prefer a light on the railed bedside gun but I like the night sights just to see where the gun is in the dark.

If you need it, time is of the essence so not having to fumble around for it in the dark could be a life saving plus.

All that said I've been wanting to try the BEC white ball sight.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have two prefered set ups for sights, first one is a gold bead front, blacked out rear ledge style or a night sight front/(mega dot) and a blacked out rear ledge style, These 2 setups seem to work very well for my aging eyes and bifocals. With the rear sights a wider notch is also prefered for me, these Make for quicker acquired and clearer sight picture.
A few years ago I happened to take a dynamic shooting class with a G19 setup with a warren tacticle rear sight and a night sight front, with varying weather and lighting conditions compliments of early spring in eastern NC, (lol) they just worked and I’ve gravitated that way since. First exposure to the gold bead was a similar situation but was running some mags through a coworkers 1911 and in low light that gold bead just popped.
Bedside or challenging lighting situations handheld light or WML

·
Registered
760 Posts
I prefer black (u-notch) rear, brass bead front. I can pick em up quickly. I use hand held light for low light shooting.

-main reason is eyesight: presbyopic and color blind
-I can pick up FO quickly, unless background is green or red. I run blue stick on Colt competition which helps
-lot of range use and woods/ranch carry

Good thread.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,797 Posts
I really like the stock single rear in-line night sights that came on my Dan Wesson VBob.

However, most of my guns have traditional 3 dot sites and I did testing recently and found that I pick them up better, and more rapidly than the VBob’s in line.

So, pressed, I would say that Trijicon HD’s with the orange outline front and smaller green rear I pick up the best in both full light or low light conditions. I am moving to these on all of my non-1911’s (read SIGs)

Edit: Steve, I reread your OP and would disagree that night sights have outlived their usefulness. I often go to the movies with my wife and while I dont typically need full night sights there I prefer to be able to see my sights when I go for my gun. Thus, I think they retain their usefulness.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
I like the gold bead front sight with a V notch rear like the one on my Red hawk. I have not seen a V notch on a 1911 but this is the
hunting sight for the Red Hawk & does not cover what you are aiming at.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just installed a gold bead front sight on my GCNM. The bead and the stock rear works for me. For my carry gun I like night sights (std. on S&W 640 Pro). For HD weapon I'm thinking maybe a shockwave, mini shells, and a lazer sight.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Heinie ledge straight 8s or U notch black rear with gold bead front.
This is what I specify on all of my builds----have been for many years. Night sights are useless to me. PIA when they go dead plus are not good at least for me in bright conditions outside where I do all of my shooting (do not shoot at ranges).

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Night sights allow me to shoot at shadowy figures. Use of any other type of sight would require me to make sure that my target is properly lit before shooting. That would slow me down, because then I might feel compelled to identify my target before pulling the trigger. :eek:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bedside pistol generally has a night sight setup and WML. I like the NS for quick reference to where my pistol is on the night stand.

I've started transitioning my carry pistols to a fiber front and black rear, but also been getting back into an RMR setup. Either way, both work well for me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
For precision pistol I prefer black on black or Red dot where approved.

For EDC I prefer night sights. Always carry a Stream Light!

Inside 7 yards defensive shooting, no sights!

For some forms of competition F/O front, black rear. Some matches I shoot allow Super Seniors to use Red Dots.

So I guess it depends :)

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
FO FS, prefer green rod with black RS blade. Preference for adjustable RS (BoMar/clone) on range or game gun.

OK with proper Tritium FS (see-able white outline), FO or plain black Patridge on carry gun.

RS in carry gun can be adjustable/BoMar or ledge/Novak on carry gun.
Fixed rear preferred, but Zeroing with carry ammo can be light years more difficult (dicking with FS height) than adjustable RS.

Reactions: Integrity Arms
1 - 20 of 47 Posts