• A different semi-auto

Votes: 124 31.2%
  • A revolver

Votes: 15 3.8%
401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,203 Posts
Either the EDC X9 or X9S is what you will typically find on my hip in a JM Custom Kydex holster. I do have a Milt Sparks holster on its way here for my Nighthawk Thunder Ranch that will be my special occasion carry.
Do you carry your X9S in the X9 holster or does JM offer one for the X9S? I don’t see the X9S listed on their sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you carry your X9S in the X9 holster or does JM offer one for the X9S? I don’t see the X9S listed on their sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I carry it in the X9 holster. It fits good and snug and I don’t mind the little extra length of the holster.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My main is a Glock 23. I'm looking for a 1911 commander size and or other nonplastic guns. I have a auto ordnance "Trump" 1911 but it's too big to conceal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carry a factory Glock 19 with Heine sights, but recently fell into the rabbit hole of 1911s and am debating carrying since I actually shoot better on this platform than with my Glock!

·
He's a large "member"
1,336 Posts
I carry based on a lot of things. Weather is the usual factor. What am I wearing that day. I have never had hips. I am triangle shaped. It makes concealed carry difficult.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm always a little surprised when 1911 enthusiasts don't actually carry them. Nothing wrong with that of course. I'm just not one for safe queens or range guns I guess but I am curious how the numbers fall.

What do you carry most of the time?
Springfield RO Elite in 9 Mike-Mike. Commander sized 1911 a1

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Do a lot of people feel a full size 1911 is tough to conceal. I’ve been carrying a full size appendix in a JM Kydex wing claw 2.5 and I carry with shorts, pants hot cold. 3/4” doesn’t really make that big of difference to me.

Being 6’3” maybe that helps me. Did carry a shield this week appendix and was comfortable but I prefer a larger grip. Took me a while to appendix comfortably. If I carried on the hip my sciatic pain was always apparent and making carrying a discomfort.

Just wondering on some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
551 Posts
Do a lot of people feel a full size 1911 is tough to conceal. I’ve been carrying a full size appendix in a JM Kydex wing claw 2.5 and I carry with shorts, pants hot cold. 3/4” doesn’t really make that big of difference to me.

Being 6’3” maybe that helps me. Did carry a shield this week appendix and was comfortable but I prefer a larger grip. Took me a while to appendix comfortably. If I carried on the hip my sciatic pain was always apparent and making carrying a discomfort.

I bought a colt defender because I thought it would be easier to conceal. For me it didn't make a lot of different compared to a commander or govt. The extra barrel length presses against my hip and kicks the top of the pistol in towards my side better than the shorter barreled defender. I carry 3'oclock

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I carry a Les Baer 5 inch until the weather gets over 100 degrees then I switch to a Springfield Hellcat or S&W 638 snub nose. It’s tough to conceal a 1911 in shorts and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I don’t necessarily find it harder to conceal than my older SW 3913 with a shorter barrel. I’m a skinny 6’ tall guy, though, so maybe that helps. I don’t know. But for me it hasn’t been so much the issue of concealment as it has been the weight. I find I have to cinch my belt a bit tighter given the weight of my fullsize, all steel 1911. Even so, I still prefer carrying my 1911 because I’m much more familiar with the 1911 platform.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a colt defender because I thought it would be easier to conceal. For me it didn't make a lot of different compared to a commander or govt. The extra barrel length presses against my hip and kicks the top of the pistol in towards my side better than the shorter barreled defender. I carry 3'oclock

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Interesting. I had been contemplating a smaller Colt Defender thinking it might be easier perhaps because it would be lighter. Anyway, have you tried a wedge or a wing to help press the grip in more?

·
Registered
127 Posts

Can't speak to the full size 1911, as I carry a commander sized one, but I have carried the glock 17, full size, without issue.
5'8", 190#

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I believe it’s still relevant. I’m 6’3” as well, and I carry a full size all steel 1911, 365 days a year. I keep it in a Milt Sparks summer special, and it has never bothered me. As long as you’ve got a good belt, it shouldn’t be a problem. Sometimes when I go to check the mail in my PJ’s I just grab my P-22 and put it in my pocket, but that’s about the only exception. The only time I’ve ever got caught printing, I was trying out an OWB holster for a friend, and the manager at our regular gas station saw my pistol holding my shirt partially up. Not really a fair assessment though, as she knows I carry. They have a “No Open Carry” policy in that store, and she thinks that if she sees a lump in my shirt that it constitutes open carry. Arguing with her about gun laws is like having a jump rope contest with a leg less man… I love her to death, but damn.

Eric

·
born in the wrong century
5,285 Posts
Ordered this UTC a year ago...almost a year ago...something like that.

It's been boring-reliable since first round through my last range session.

It's become my most carried gun and was the only semi-auto taken on a recent week long road trip. A J-Frame also was stashed in the console.

The only gun that is even coming close to challenging it for saddle time is a P365 that I finally caved in and added.

The little pocket rocket has only been through a few range sessions...but it's been boring-reliable, too...with two carry loads and 115gr & 124gr target loads.

Don't know if I will lose cool points on a 1911 haven such as this for admitting such about the poodle shooter plastic fantastic piece......but since I've already fessed up.....I should go ahead and confess to toting it in a MIls Sparks SS2 of it's own. Sucker is stupid comfortable.

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,203 Posts
Ordered this UTC a year ago...almost a year ago...something like that.

It's been boring-reliable since first round through my last range session.

It's become my most carried gun and was the only semi-auto taken on a recent week long road trip. A J-Frame also was stashed in the console.

The only gun that is even coming close to challenging it for saddle time is a P365 that I finally caved in and added.

The little pocket rocket has only been through a few range sessions...but it's been boring-reliable, too...with two carry loads and 115gr & 124gr target loads.

Don't know if I will lose cool points on a 1911 haven such as this for admitting such about the poodle shooter plastic fantastic piece......but since I've already fessed up.....I should go ahead and confess to toting it in a MIls Sparks SS2 of it's own. Sucker is stupid comfortable.
What belt is that?

·
born in the wrong century
5,285 Posts
What belt is that?

One of the most comfortable, lightest and easiest to adjust gunbelt I've ever used.

You order it long....then trim the end with a pair of scissors to the size you want....attach the buckle and let it ride. The tag end has a really wide range of adjustment with the track system.

The buckle releases by triggering the release that is on the lower righthand inside of buckle. Insanely easy to adjust....lets say you are sitting down in car and want it loosened...super quick & easy.....easier still when you get out of car....simply pull on tag end and hear the ratchet tighten to desired spot.

I bought that one for normal EDC and black & brown leather ones with a "traditional" looking buckle for less causal needs.

I can't stress the comfort enough....so dang light, yet stiff. I carry steel 5" & dual spares with zero issues.

EDITED to add pics.

401 - 420 of 460 Posts