close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of person carries a 1911?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by someguy744, Jul 11, 2017.

1. iviax

iviax New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Large guy I guess. I would never carry my UTC, just too big for me to conceal carry one.

2. someguy744

someguy744 New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    You don't have to be a large person to carry a full size 1911. I am 5"3, 135 lbs, with 30 - 31 inch waist.

I am using Milt Sparks VM2 carried at 3 - 3 1/2 o'clock.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blue Ridge and Kip like this.

3. iviax

iviax New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    I am 6'1 and 175lbs. I use R.grizzle iwb to carry a p938, it doesn't print when I move around.
    Although you wears a loose T shirt, When you move around that full size 1911 is going to print on your shirt... I think one needs have big waist area to prevent the printing

4. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Negative ghost rider. Small waist and slightly bigger shoulders is best for concealment. That way you can pack a lot on the belt and the shirt hangs straight.

Blue Ridge and Kip like this.
  5. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Back on topic. A person of discerning taste carries a 1911. A person that appreciates quality and has pride of ownership. An object has meaning to this person. The same man might carry a good knife and wear a quality watch. He loves his mother and father. He is a solid citizen. He will sell every 1911 in the world if he needs to, for his children's well being.

Mike Meints, Blue Ridge, Kip and 4 others like this.
  6. someguy744

someguy744 New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Iviax, loose T shirt does print when moving around. But I have noticed that black (or dark) shirts, and shirts with patterns show less printing. Also, in CA, CCW is so rare, that people just don't notice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. iviax

iviax New Member

Nov 14, 2015
  8. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    "Printing" is overrated. Perhaps Jason Bourne goes around looking for printing, but 99.999999% of the world will never see it. And is it a gun, or a cell phone?

Anyone scared of printing can just get a CCO.

Sneaky One and Kip like this.
  9. colt45acp

colt45acp Active Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Somebody who likes old good traditional things.

Kip likes this.
  10. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Oh, OLD PEOPLE! :alien3:

:sorry:

11. studenygreg

studenygreg Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Me

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Kip and 1911wheelsnomore like this.
  12. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards New Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I love 1911's! I think they are the best gun to carry, and also the safest.

13. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Somebody who is ready to put in the time and effort to understand and master his gun, because he knows that he can achieve more with a good tool.

I love quality. I don't mean that all 1911s are quality firearms, far from that, but the platform lends itself to outstanding quality when a dedicated pistolsmith uses his art on it. A pistolsmith who has spent years refining his skills and understanding gun design and function. Unlike some other guns that require a full one day course to receive the coveted award of an "Armorer" certificate...

someguy744 and Kip like this.
  14. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 3, 2011
    I carry a 1911. In an expensive leather holster. And it's comfortable. I'm 6'1 and 205 and it's on my hip every day while I sell pet products to people who have no idea it's there. I'm from North Carolina, 48 years old, typical right-leaning libertarian white male and have owned guns my whole life. I get into phases where they are my favorite hobby -and where all of my discretionary income goes for a few years at a time. Then I seem to have phases where something else is my passion. Besides guns over the last 30 years, my money has gone to saltwater reef aquariums, exotic reptiles, exotic girlfriends, and for a short time a Triumph motorcycle. I like having things that are not exactly like everyone else's. I hate the motto, "This is my weapon, there are many others like it but this one is mine." Because I want a weapon that's just mine. Even if it's just particular sights I want stuck on it, I have to change something on every gun out of the box.

I never wanted to become a 1911 addict. Didn't think I liked them and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. And the price! How is a pistol worth thousands?!?! When I was shooting polymer guns, I often said things along the lines of "For the price of a semi-custom 1911, you can buy two Glocks, send them to Lone Wolf, and have everything customized to your liking on two stellar handguns." And I wasn't wrong. Though little did I know that I would find myself selling those "custom" guns to fund 1911s. All I had to do was shoot a great 1911, and I hit targets better than I ever have. At that very moment at the gun range, I knew I was buying one.

There are a couple of oddball handguns I just love and will never sell. I love my Walther P99s, my H&K P7, love the crap outta my CZ's. But if you bet me that I can't hit a bottlecap nailed into a tree stump between 20 feet and 20 yards -my 1911's represent 4 of the first 5 pistols (well, without optics) I'd grab to take your money. Part of that is the grip angle and part is the trigger. But part is customization. As you shoot things and realize what you like, you can make guns operate better for you. Must have been ten years ago I shot a Ruger .22 with a fiber optic front sight and now I'm getting them on everything. Tried a flat trigger, ditto. On the 1911 I've figured out the slimness of grips that work best for my hand, everything. And it makes you practice more when you buy a great instrument. But I digress. Let me summarize by saying that the person who likes variety and options would be a good candidate to carry a 1911.

Shocker2000, TexasBB and Kip like this.
  15. lamont

lamont Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Well my mutual admirer of the 1911 platform, I am a Senior Citizen, don't use a Zippo, but have a few gas torches laying around. I like your critical observation with clarity. In terms of a side arm, you're spot on.

someguy744 likes this.
  16. lamont

lamont Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Don't use a Zippo, but have a few gas torches laying around. Read your input and greatly enjoyed the Metaphors of appreciation to other things we all have. Every Born American that would want to own a side arm/pistol, the 1911 is the Gold Standard in my humble opinion. This is our Samurai Sword in Modern Times. This is my own personal issue that changes. This is a VIP from STI. slightly modified by Millenium Custom/Derek Janowikze in Lake Worth Florida.

Attached Files:

someguy744 and Kip like this.
  17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2016
  18. apipeguy

apipeguy Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I smoke a pipe, shave with a straight razor, what other gun could I carry.

cwoods, TexasBB, Kip and 3 others like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider the Signature Line before replying . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
  20. azguy1911

azguy1911 Active Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I smart one, I've EDC for 11 years, always a 1911

Kip and Jollyroger1 like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted