Featured What lubes suck?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Badabing11, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    If you want a real slick as owl poop lube, mix some synthetic oil with that red grease . Apply sparingly . It comes out as a very thin grease depending on the ratio of oil to grease . I have tried it on rails only.

I tried something new on my 22s a while back . I tried the Hornady One Shot spray cleaner lube . It is dry to the touch after application . But my 22 s never ran better and the stuff seems to repel dirt . I didn’t trust it for the longest time. The stuff really works great on a finicky 22 semi auto .

Rick McC. and Mike A like this.
  2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Jeff this is a lube for cases, Imperial Sizing Wax.
    We all tried different ways to lube our cases, but
    any with petrol could kill primers.

Like the wax that protects our guns, this wax
    is extremely slick & will not kill primers.
    My point is that of the many case lubes I
    bought over the years. Only one worked so
    well I took it alone for a my only case lube.

I have not found any cleaners, lubes or
    treatments for guns. Any that would keep me
    from believing that any Synthetic grease or Oil
    would not work to protect my guns from wear.

1 qt. oil & 1 tube of grease would last a longtime.

Think of the money we could save, save for
    more ammo :happy:.

Badabing11 likes this.

3. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    mike,

Hornaday actually makes two spray lubes, and one is for cases. The other is for cleaning and lubing of guns . It’s very confusing because they use the same label in the can and the use is called out in less than obvious print . They are so similar in look , you have to read the description on the directions to know the difference . The guys on RFC brought that to light for me . It’s really poorly done by hornaday .

I can actually feel less resistance in the action and the guns cycle smoother using it . 22 is so dirty, I find the Spray runs much cleaner

I’m hesitant to use it in my 1911s , but I have used it on semi auto shotgun and it ran very well .

On my break open shotguns I use the red Mobil 1 grease and it works great . When I run out of fp 10 and ewl I’ll go over to Mobil 1 . A quart costs less money than 4 oz of ewl, and will last the rest of my life!

4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I find that using Mobil 1 Red synthetic grease works great on
    everything I need grease for. As for the 1911 or other semis they stay cleaner
    using your mix of Red grease, & synthetic oil. Grease stays in place, oil washes
    parts clean, so lighter is better like that dirty little 10/22, it lives for oil.

How many times have you pulled your dip stick from your car & lubed a dry gun?
    Not your gun, some newbie who asks for lube at the range.

I believe the only complaint that could be said of using Motor oil is, the additives.
    Just remember we are trying to do is not biodegradable, so lubes that break down
    are not going to protect our guns. Remember the old oils that stunk so bad?

They are still there after long term storage, like products brought in from overseas.

Badabing11 likes this.
  5. jeffpro66

jeffpro66 semi-wadcutter

Oct 3, 2012
    Hahaha! I read "clitoris" twice before the "L" went away. Pervs indeed.

Badabing11 likes this.
  6. GIFS-1911

GIFS-1911 Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Gun oil sucks. I'm now exclusively using CLP type lubes like One Shot.

Badabing11 likes this.
  7. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Frog Lube has to be one of the worst products for a firearm ive ever personally encountered. If it gets cold or old that crap just becomes a sticky mess you have to submerge in mineral spirits over and over again then scrape it off. Ive actually seen it on night quals when its cold slow down the hammer on a sig so much that it would fail to fire.

8. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Anything with Chris Costa is a great way for me to walk the other way and do the exact opposite. I can't stand that guy he may be the biggest douche in the gun world.

9. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Frog Lube is meant to solidify somewhat when inert. Its meant to stick to the surface of materials that will go in and out of water, without running off. That's why its called frog lube. If you warm it up by shooting, it will liquify and become slick again. If someone has to scrape it off, of if its slowing down a hammer, to much lube was applied. AR's and most rifles in general don't need much lube to operate, especially the FCG area.

I don't think it was ever advertised as a something that would perform better than a standard CLP in cold weather.

Badabing11 likes this.
  10. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Just received a sample from Cherry Balmz: https://www.cherrybalmz.com

Interesting aroma. Somewhat like a cross between bearing grease & edible panties.

11. Bigkracka

Bigkracka New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Frog lube is crap. Cherry balmz has a good marketing campaign.

Badabing11 likes this.
  12. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Requested one of those $9 Free Samples from Cherry Balmz. Feels like slippery stuff, for whatever that's worth. Their 22LR Lube & Winter Lube sound interesting.

Badabing11 likes this.
  13. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate sucks. Bad.

studenygreg and Badabing11 like this.
  14. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Aint that super glue?

15. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Why do you say frog lube is crap

Badabing11 likes this.
  16. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    @Mike A can attest to its efficacy when applied properly.

He has pointed out in his posts much earlier in this thread that most people do not follow instructions properly and over apply . I’m guilty of this mistake . I have since tried it per Mikes (and FLs) instruction and the stuff does not gum up in the cold .

it’s quite interesting.

I think a lot of us might tend toward generous application of lube. In most instances there is no real downside to function . Not so with FL.

17. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015

Have been using it about 5 years and will attest to the efficacy as well, the bushing/barrel/lug wear on my 1911’s with FL is noticeably less than with reg CLP. Also after 200-300 rounds , the guns don’t feel like they are slowing down on the frame rails as much as other lubes I have used

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. Bigkracka

Bigkracka New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    I applied it per the instructions, on my AR i could not shoot nearly as long as with Slip2k.
    Froglube runs when hot then pooled in the bottom of my lower. Was unimpressed to say the least. Shouldn't have to bake your gun for it to work.

Badabing11 likes this.
  19. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    so it was not working when your gun was cold?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted