What says..."That Guy Has A Gun"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I have had / heard a lot of discussions on what we (ccw folks) wear. Some say that certain brands / styles of clothing scream "That Guy Has A Gun". Then there are those that say it’s just "gun people" that think this. And let’s not forget to add the infamous fanny pack.

While I am not interested in starting another similar discussion, some light cleaning the other day got me thinking....

As winter approaches here in NE Ohio, I dug out my favorite winter attire...Hoodies & Sweatshirts!!! I came across on old 511 sweatshirt and a hoodie given to me by a friend from my LEO days that reads "FBI" (a gift from a trip he took to Quantico).

I understand what some say about "tactical looking clothing" and somewhat agree...but where do we draw the line? Dose the comfy "FBI" hoodie scream gun? Or does it make me just appear to be a wanna-be poser...LOL

What say you?

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Who cares, nothing mean someone has a gun besides a gun. No one knows,and honestly I could care less if some one thinks, I possibly, might, may, have a gun. Also the FBI sweater screams poser, but if you like it who cares?

3. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I honestly think only other gun people would know if you are wearing attire designed for concealing a weapon. The average person isn't going to give it a second thought. I wear American Eagle clothes 90% of the time, so I guess I am just not tacticool. LOL

4. dirty barrel

dirty barrel ( . Y . )

Oct 30, 2011
    Most people have there noses buried in there phones and are to self absorbed to notice. I would say that unless you dress like a Operator or a SWAT sniper most people won't give it a second thought.

The only thing that screams "that guy has a gun" to me is if I see his/her gun. There are a lot of people that CC that you would never guess are armed. I was at a mall with my family last year on a very busy day. There was a older woman who slipped and fell. I was right next to her when she fell. I saw as she laid there a small frame revolver in a IWB holster. I quickly helped her up after making sure she was OK. She knew I saw her gun. I acted like I didn't. Maybe other people saw it but if they did no one said anything or made a big deal about it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, the FBI shirt might be a little "poserish." Unless of course it says "female body inspector!" I don't think I dress like I have a gun. I just dress in my normal every day clothes, that happen to have already been big enough to hide a gun, pants at least. I still wear the same shirts, I just got one size up for the extra length at the bottom. Now my winter clothes are all baggy and slightly oversized anyway, so it's really easy to conceal with those.

6. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :lol: Can not BELIEVE I got beat to that joke! I have nothing to add, except 511 tactical khakis, etc. would make me suspect someone probably has a gun. I just don't know non-gun folks who wear that kind of pants. I have a couple of pair, and they sure do carry a firearm well.

7. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Nothing says, "that guy has a gun" better than just holstering that sucker up and carrying it out there for the whole world to see. Like they do in Arizona.

8. Siggyboy

Siggyboy Member

Sep 17, 2011
    511 khakis. I think only gun people wear them. Also, photographer's vests.

I once wore a black HK polo shirt to a steak restaurant with some relatives. There was a man showing people to their tables. After he called us, he said "right this way" and then in a lower voice towards me, "one of the best tables for a gun guy".

9. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    What an avatar there siggy. In KY open carry is legal though few do. Old women here are more prone to open carry. Go granny LOL

10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    With the caveat that I have never had any law-enforcement/security experience, I found this article to be pretty interesting:

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...citizens-legally-carrying-a-concealed-weapon/

For me, my father's sage advice of "don't worry about it, nobody's paying any attention to you, anyway," has yet again borne out.

I'm relatively new to "The Gun World," but I'm even newer to concealed-carry. I obtained my Ohio-CHL in late March of this year. At first, I indeed was quite self-aware, but I did a lot of homework prior to carrying, and that prepped me well - both to make sure that my support gear would allow me to conceal well, as well as to curb me from constantly "checking my gun."

To-date, I have yet to be made. And ironically, aside from my few "gun friends," no-one knows that I carry, or for that matter, are involved, at all, in firearms as a hobby.

The only thing that really makes me stand-out in a crowd is that I'm a big, fat, ugly, and often loud Chinese guy. :lol:

11. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    As a cop, I do my best to not look like a cop when I'm not working. The best compliment I ever received was one day when I had to stop by the DA's office on my day off and his secretary said "you look like you just came off of the street".

I usually wear loose jeans, a tshirt, sweatshirt, and a baseball hat. I avoid everything 5.11 when I'm not working as it's a dead giveaway to anyone who knows what 5.11 is. I also avoid wearing anything else that may remotely resemble being related to law enforcement. I do my best to blend in.

All that being said, most people are completely oblivious, including most bad guys.

12. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

Good Read... Thanks for sharing....

13. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Gear topic to discuss.
    I see a lot of 5.11 wanta bees out there, and during hunting season you can get away with a lot. It used to boil down to are you a survivor or a victim. How do you profile your self when out in the public.
    In doing street work in my other life, the whole concept is to blend in to the street or local your in. I dont mean you have to be like a smelly homeless person (unless that is what you want) but blend in with others is the best cover. Your demeanor is the best defense in the street awareness. CCW users have to make sure of the print, although people carry a cell phone on the belt alot nowadays so possibly a moot point. Just do a look over in the mirror and practice your knee bends if you go to bend over to pick up or load your car with groceries.
    The good thing in our US of A we can dress pretty much as we feel, Its our street awareness that gets us by, some have more than others. LEO's look at everyone as a potential criminal, those that have been a victim one time or another look at everyone as the mugger/thief, bad person.
    Timing is another issue, do you really need to go to the ATM at 11pm? or get that bottle of JD at 1am? or do you plan your trips in mid day to make the odds in your favor. Bad guys enjoy the night. We carry to protect our family and ourselves, avoidence is a good thing, trust me, less paperwork and hardship.
    Some folks out there have a bit more street smart awareness and it goes with the terrain you operate in. If your CCW ing you owe it to your self to develope some street smarts/awareness to avoid getting into trouble. The old saying " Be aware of your surroundings" is still good today.
    Great topic that can have more input but the GOV course was 6 weeks plus for covert area fam ops so not enough space.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  14. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Most people that can spot 5.11 clothing are gun people, so it doesn't matter. Common non-gun people don't know what 5.11 is. Hell I'm a gun person and couldn't pick out a 5.11 pair of pants. People wear cargo pants all the time.

Only clothing that screams gun to me is clothing marked with gun manufacturer logos or tactical this tactical that. Hats included.

15. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Right on deadguy, tactical is way overused IMHO.

16. cdunn

cdunn Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2011
    ever since I had a snap break on a pair of 5.11 shorts, and called to ask for a new snap,I was told all 5.11.stuff has lifetime warranty,they emailed me a call tag shipped out old shorts and shipped me new shorts for free,I find myself buying more of there stuff.
    I was at the mall the other day and 6 guys with big bulging suits and ear pieces surrounding one guy walked by,I stopped and went the other way,that was a sign to me.that they were armed.and I didn't need to be near they guy that needed 5 body guards.

17. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I gotta get me an earpiece so people will avoid me

18. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Idaho 1911er

Aug 19, 2011
    And Idaho:nod:

19. ca survivor

ca survivor Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    most people don't even see a car coming down the road these days, they have their noses down in the phone.

20. din

din Member

Aug 26, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted