1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
There are 4 springs on a 1911 that need grease. These are the recoil spring, slide release/thumb safety spring, main spring, and sear/trigger/disconnector spring. Grease will lubricate them as well as keep moisture away. Every other place that needs lube can be oiled.

A quart of motor oil will provide a lifetime's worth of excellent lubricant for your new pistol. Unless you are a pretentious ass. If you are a pretentious ass, something as pedestrian as motor oil simply will not do.

· Premium Member
23,726 Posts
Go here 1911 Auto Magazine, 7 round
Buy a couple dozen of these and use them for training and range work. Don't let the price fool you.They are good quality mags. Load them while watching TV so that your range time will be spent shooting instead of repeatedly jamming the same 2 or 3 mags.
Ahhhh there are far better and more well known magazine makers Iike Wilson, McCormick and so on. I won't do business with Sarco.

Besides 9mm usually come with 9 round magazines

· Premium Member
23,726 Posts
There are 4 springs on a 1911 that need grease. These are the recoil spring, slide release/thumb safety spring, main spring, and sear/trigger/disconnector spring. Grease will lubricate them as well as keep moisture away. Every other place that needs lube can be oiled.

A quart of motor oil will provide a lifetime's worth of excellent lubricant for your new pistol. Unless you are a pretentious ass. If you are a pretentious ass, something as pedestrian as motor oil simply will not do.
OP has a duty coat Dan Wesson. DW is real specific about lubes to use with Duty Coat.

In 40+++ years of using 1911s and uncountable number of rounds fired, never greased anything on one of them.

· Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Get training specific to the 1911 so you understand how to carry and use it correctly.

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Take some time to explore the resources here and other places online to understand the inner workings of the gun. It's different than a Glock - and understanding how it works will help if you run into issues.

Get used to the gun before you decide to jump in and do a lot of “upgrades”…there are lots available, but I think you’ll find it’s a pretty awesome gun right out of the box.

Spend the money to get quality magazines: Wilson, Chip McCormick, Tripp, Dan Wesson. A large percentage of gun “issues” can be traced to cheap magazines.

Get a second job…it’s an expensive addiction!! 😄

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Buy good magazines.. 👍🇺🇸

· Premium Member
879 Posts
1: Don’t slam the slide home on an empty gun-it’s hard on the internals.
2: Don’t drop a round in the chamber and close the slide-it’s hard on the extractor.
3: Lube your gun-it’s not a Glock.
4: Use reputable mags-Wilson mags are my go to.
5: Look up “Wilson combat channel” on YouTube and watch the Do’s and Don’ts and how to clean/lube. Bill Wilson took the time to make them and his name is all over them.
6: If your DW is Duty coat- Use what the manufacturer recommends. They took the time and money to add that to the manual. I use Kroil and Militec. Surprisingly, I now use those two strictly on all my guns with zero problems.

· NRA Life Member
4,639 Posts
Dont listen to all the haters.... aftermarket parts just drop right...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Just kidding. If you want to modify your gun, send it to a professional or get ready to break some parts on your path to learning!

Hilton Yam's 10-8 Performance Patreon page is a great asset to anyone looking for knowledge.

· Registered
71 Posts
Really helpful thread, I am also a newer 1911 addict and looking to not make too many mistakes. I had not realized that the Duty Coat required you use special cleaners to avoid damage. Luckily I think I already have some of the Kroil.

· Premium Member
657 Posts
Really helpful thread, I am also a newer 1911 addict and looking to not make too many mistakes. I had not realized that the Duty Coat required you use special cleaners to avoid damage. Luckily I think I already have some of the Kroil.

Smart!!!

Reactions: 1911inmd
1 - 20 of 94 Posts