1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Is it okay to pull the brush back through the barrel when the brush is fed from the rear?

Or is it necessary to unscrew the brush each time it emerges from the front, retract the rod, reattach the brush, and then feed it back through the same direction each time?!
I usually pull it back before it exits the muzzle end. But, like Bob says, a brass brush is safest.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Magazines that did not come from the manufacturer of your gun may not fit your gun! Buy ONE first, and try it out.
This +1, I shoot a box or so through a mag to make sure it’s reliable. My one Baer only likes Tripps, and hates Wilson,Ed Brown, and Chips. Very picky eater.

Also learn about extractor tension. Jason Burton has a video on YouTube that is very helpful.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Back when I was a young 1911 shooter.. 1911 was my first gun. Yup very first.. had to learn a lot.. started with Colonial Jeff Cooper book.. Principal of Defensive Shooting.. that was the big start for me.. so… 1911 books.. 👍🇺🇸

· Premium Member
23,726 Posts
Is it okay to pull the brush back through the barrel when the brush is fed from the rear?

Or is it necessary to
And know them by handle, lest you dismiss them as clueless hacks with incorrigible manners when they chime-in on other threads! :p
Jason Burton, Karl Beining and Greg Derr are on here in their own names. All are exceptional smiths.

· Registered
Staccato P, Staccato C2, Dan Wesson Vigil 45, Dan Wesson ECO 9mm, Dan Wesson Vbob 45
450 Posts
You should know that you should have bought a 45acp as your first 1911. You would have been content with just one for a little bit longer.

Once you have shot your 9mm 1911, you will soon realize that the only thing that could make it better would be more capacity, and you will quickly find yourself opening up your wallet for a 9mm 2011. Then, you'll decide you appreciate the platform and want to expand your collection with something more "classic" and will be right back to the 45. Hey...it could be worse.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I usually pull it back before it exits the muzzle end. But, like Bob says, a brass brush is safest.
I’ve always been under the impression that reversing directions while still inside the barrel was bad practice and ruined the brushes. I’ve always pushed all the way thru and then back. I’m not really sure where I heard that or if it’s even true but that’s how I learned to clean a barrel.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
I’ve always been under the impression that reversing directions while still inside the barrel was bad practice and ruined the brushes. I’ve always pushed all the way thru and then back. I’m not really sure where I heard that or if it’s even true but that’s how I learned to clean a barrel.
It might be. I don’t know. I certainly haven’t had that happen from experience. But I don’t use my brushes that often on my 1911s.

· Registered
261 Posts
Reversing does tend to make the brush not as tight (aka less friction and less cleaning). However, its also really good at getting stuck on junk out of the barrel. Funny enough, I believe Atlas said you should never have to clean a pistol barrel (though they also stated shooting a jacketed bullet should "clean" the rifling if you shoot other types) - would need to look it up to confirm exactly what they say

· Registered
414 Posts
It might be. I don’t know. I certainly haven’t had that happen from experience. But I don’t use my brushes that often on my 1911s.
Reversing does tend to make the brush not as tight (aka less friction and less cleaning). However, its also really good at getting stuck on junk out of the barrel. Funny enough, I believe Atlas said you should never have to clean a pistol barrel (though they also stated shooting a jacketed bullet should "clean" the rifling if you shoot other types) - would need to look it up to confirm exactly what they say
Nothing like a good barrel Bikeshedding!

The old Kimber manuals from the 90s absolutely admonished the user for not brushing the barrel after every use (maybe they still do!).

· Premium Member
23,726 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
1) read the owners manual,you have a pistol that has specific notes about it's care from Dan Wesson and the duty coat
2) Buy this book, it'll give you a better understanding of the 1911 platform.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

· born in the wrong century
10,823 Posts
Best overall 1911 finish… HARD CHROME.. you’ll love the look..👍🇺🇸

I agree. It has a luminescence that is very appealing.

Had an awaited gun arrive earlier this month....hard chrome frame.

It's an awesome look. So far I only have hard chrome on a few frames.....I'd like to get an entire gun done in it.

I'd better get my arse in gear....

· Turgid member
742 Posts
There is a lot of temptation to modify your 1911, resist it for now. It can be improved but that takes patience and willingness to develop the skills.
YouTube has some good stuff and lots of absolute crap.

Reactions: McDXD

· Premium Member
295 Posts
I agree. It has a luminescence that is very appealing.

Had an awaited gun arrive earlier this month....hard chrome frame.

It's an awesome look. So far I only have hard chrome on a few frames.....I'd like to get an entire gun done in it.

I'd better get my arse in gear....
Yeah, an Alchemy Prime Elite Commander in full hard chrome has been whispering its siren song in my ear for a while now. I've been within a hair's breadth of placing an order a few times now, but I just can't bring myself to choose between an optic plate and proper irons. I'd just order one and send it to Nighthawk for an IOS cut but the slide would have to be refinished and Nighthawk doesn't do hard chrome at this point. Alchemy also won't do the dual caliber setup I want, which is frustrating but I suppose understandable considering their business model. So I'm putting my Alchemy hard chrome dreams on hold for now and instead I just finalized an order with Jess for a Marvel 9/38 in smoked nitride with IOS and some other special tweaks. Over twice the wait, but to me IOS is worth it, the Marvel is a fantastic design, and Austin Lehr is going to do the build. So overall a big win even though I still won't be able to check hard chrome off my list.

Anyway, apologies for being somewhat off-topic for the thread, but that's my screed.

· Registered
67 Posts
The shop manual book above is a really good book for you. I has really nice detailed pictures of the parts to help you reassemble. It covers building a gun from parts, fitting part, and adjusting springs, etc. Great book.

· Registered
146 Posts
keep the insides and outside lubricated/rust free

you can modify your slide stop to prevent/help with idiot scratches, I used diamond hard files but you can likely buy one already done for you, honestly if you do have one... it's not a huge deal if you actually shoot/use the gun

you will get scuff marks if using a holster. make a decision whether you want it to never be drawn or drawn a lot

putting a 1911 down on gravel when doing drills gives people heart attacks, but it's a tool if you want it to be

DO NOT CARRY IN POURING RAIN or soak the gun in water. If the internals get wet, you might be better off stripping it down and drying out the pieces by hand with paper towels or microfiber towel.

Mark your magazines and toss the unreliable ones into the range only/practice pile with clearly marked as so. I've had great luck with Wilson Combat and Chip Mc from long ago.

And there is nothing wrong with Glocks, especially in 9mm. They are excellent work tools and IMO are better at being "defensive usage" guns than 1911s. But they're not nearly as fun to shoot, own, play with.

and don't let people that don't know what they're doing with a 1911 handle it. if you do, tell them not to move the slide and hand it to the hammer down

41 - 60 of 94 Posts