1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
OP has a duty coat Dan Wesson. DW is real specific about lubes to use with Duty Coat.

In 40+++ years of using 1911s and uncountable number of rounds fired, never greased anything on one of them.
This is exactly what I need to know. Should I buy FP-10 oil? I have Hoppes 9 for my Glock but I have a feeling that won’t work here.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Sell it now while you have a chance to avoid the ruination of your finances :)

My only real advice is to not go cheap on mags, and keep it reasonably clean and lubed.
It came with 7 10-round Tripp Research Mags (9mm). I’ve read a bit on them and they seem solid. What is the general consensus on them? I plan to carry a spare mag when my holster arrives, should I just pick up 2 Wilson Combat mags?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Take some time to explore the resources here and other places online to understand the inner workings of the gun. It's different than a Glock - and understanding how it works will help if you run into issues.

Get used to the gun before you decide to jump in and do a lot of “upgrades”…there are lots available, but I think you’ll find it’s a pretty awesome gun right out of the box.

Spend the money to get quality magazines: Wilson, Chip McCormick, Tripp, Dan Wesson. A large percentage of gun “issues” can be traced to cheap magazines.

Get a second job…it’s an expensive addiction!! 😄
I also bought a Girsan 1911c in 9mm that hasn’t arrived yet. The goal is for that to be my “learn how to do stuff/make mistakes” gun. I’ll probably try my hand at polishing once I’ve done enough research to do so. The goal is to learn the ins and outs without damaging the DW!

· Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
4,327 Posts
This is exactly what I need to know. Should I buy FP-10 oil? I have Hoppes 9 for my Glock but I have a feeling that won’t work here.
Hoppes number nine is tried and true and I use it on my Dan Wesson finishes without any problem.
The problem with any finish like they use on the Dan Wesson pistols is solvent. I never use solvents on any of my firearms because I don’t have to . I clean them after every range trip and that reduces any carbon buildup that you will encounter if you do not clean them after every range trip and go extended periods between cleaning your firearms you are going to have excessive carbon buildup and are going to need to use a solvent to break it down and get it off.

solution clean your guns every time you shoot them you’ll never need to use a harsh abrasive solvent.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
1: Don’t slam the slide home on an empty gun-it’s hard on the internals.
2: Don’t drop a round in the chamber and close the slide-it’s hard on the extractor.
3: Lube your gun-it’s not a Glock.
4: Use reputable mags-Wilson mags are my go to.
5: Look up “Wilson combat channel” on YouTube and watch the Do’s and Don’ts and how to clean/lube. Bill Wilson took the time to make them and his name is all over them.
6: If your DW is Duty coat- Use what the manufacturer recommends. They took the time and money to add that to the manual. I use Kroil and Militec. Surprisingly, I now use those two strictly on all my guns with zero problems.
This is really helpful thank you!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
keep the insides and outside lubricated/rust free

you can modify your slide stop to prevent/help with idiot scratches, I used diamond hard files but you can likely buy one already done for you, honestly if you do have one... it's not a huge deal if you actually shoot/use the gun

you will get scuff marks if using a holster. make a decision whether you want it to never be drawn or drawn a lot

putting a 1911 down on gravel when doing drills gives people heart attacks, but it's a tool if you want it to be

DO NOT CARRY IN POURING RAIN or soak the gun in water. If the internals get wet, you might be better off stripping it down and drying out the pieces by hand with paper towels or microfiber towel.

Mark your magazines and toss the unreliable ones into the range only/practice pile with clearly marked as so. I've had great luck with Wilson Combat and Chip Mc from long ago.

And there is nothing wrong with Glocks, especially in 9mm. They are excellent work tools and IMO are better at being "defensive usage" guns than 1911s. But they're not nearly as fun to shoot, own, play with.

and don't let people that don't know what they're doing with a 1911 handle it. if you do, tell them not to move the slide and hand it to the hammer down
Thanks for the tips! I live in WA State and do work outside sometimes. I’ll keep that in mind, to carry my Glock, on those days. I came to 1911 because of the slim profile and general attractiveness of the platform, so I plan to keep it in relatively good shape. That said, I have no problems with holster scuffs and the like. I only buy firearms I plan to carry, so that comes with the understanding they may get a little beat up!

· Turgid member
742 Posts
...should I just pick up 2 Wilson Combat mags?
Why??? Don't the supplied mags work?

I’ll probably try my hand at polishing once I’ve done enough research to do so.
Polishing what? The feed ramp? Why?
If to polish the innards to reduce parasitic friction, you can make a nice gun even nicer.
One guy with trustworthy, competent videos is NicTaylor00. He has a series of videos on tuning up your 1911. Without messing with the mating surfaces of the sear and hammer, which require deeper knowledge, he will teach you how to improve the trigger pull.
Here's one.

· Registered
46 Posts
Watch some Youtube videos, how to clean, disassemble, and shoot. There are books but videos are easy to watch. I agree on the Bill Wilson videos. He is such a calm person explaining the proper needs of a 1911. What better source than himself?

I clean my 1991 after every 300 rounds. I like doing it. I also clean the the safe queens once per year, just in case.

These guys know what they are talking about when they stop or you will be in hock buying 1911's. I started with a Sig 1911 .45 12 years ago. Now, in addition, I now have 6 WC, Stealth (2), ACP, CQB, CQB Elite, Tactical Elite, an Ed Brown Kobra, and a Les Baer Custom. Keep in mind I only needed 1 pistol. I am in hot pursuit of a WC Supergrade. I work for pistols and range time. My wife has no clue!

· Freedom Is Not Free
7,345 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
First of all congrats on buying a real handgun! And as Eastwood says, get a bigger safe!

#1-Avoid dropping the slide on an empty chamber.
#2- Get a bigger safe, they tend to multiply.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
The Tripp magazines are great mags. I use Slip 2000 EWL(extreme weapons lube) on my Dan Wessons with no issues.

I also live in New Kalifornia aka Washington State. Know your CPL laws and where you can/can't carry. Mostly federal buildings and music events.

Check out the Hilton Yam videos. He explains things in a really easy to understand manner. Sometimes he's even fumny..:) He has several videos, start with the basic one. But here's an example..

Think this is first video in the series.

Fyi..you can buy his video series, armor tools and more here.. but think all the videos are online?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The Tripp magazines are great mags. I use Slip 2000 EWL(extreme weapons lube) on my Dan Wessons with no issues.

I also live in New Kalifornia aka Washington State. Know your CPL laws and where you can/can't carry. Mostly federal buildings and music events.

Check out the Hilton Yam videos. He explains things in a really easy to understand manner. Sometimes he's even fumny..:) He has several videos, start with the basic one. But here's an example..

Think this is first video in the series.

Fyi..you can buy his video series, armor tools and more here.. but think all the videos are online?

This is great, thank you! These videos are exactly what I’m looking for and I look forward to digging in. I’m also in Washington, which has made purchasing things for other guns very frustrating.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts