1911 Firearm Addicts banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
If you have been into polymer pistols until now, the one thing I would say is yes, keep it well lubricated. I have Glocks and I really like them, but where too much lubrication can cause a Glock to fail due to accumulation of crap caught in the oil, it will be your friend on a 1911.

· Registered
24 Posts
There are 4 springs on a 1911 that need grease. These are the recoil spring, slide release/thumb safety spring, main spring, and sear/trigger/disconnector spring. Grease will lubricate them as well as keep moisture away. Every other place that needs lube can be oiled.

A quart of motor oil will provide a lifetime's worth of excellent lubricant for your new pistol. Unless you are a pretentious ass. If you are a pretentious ass, something as pedestrian as motor oil simply will not do.
😀

· Premium Member
23,726 Posts
Just picked up my 9mm Valkyrie Commander today, and could not be more delighted with how it feels. I’m trying to do my research on the “do’s and dont’s” of 1911 ownership before taking it to the range. What should a Glock refugee know about picking up 1911’s?

I understand you shouldn’t let the hammer fall on a naked frame and how to avoid the “idiot scratch”. Any other tips or links would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Read Dan Wesson on cleaning and lubing Duty Coat.

· Registered
404 Posts
I once read an article about a fellow who had two 1911s he sent to a known gunsmith. He said he wanted visible sights, a factory chamber, beaver tail mainspring housing, a solid bushing fitted to the barrel and a long trigger (I might be mistaken on that). He also stipulated he did not want it so tight that it needed special care or lubricants. He wanted it to go bang regardless of the condition of the pistol or the environment.

Sounds like something we should all ask for.

Kevin

· Registered
107 Posts
1: Don’t slam the slide home on an empty gun-it’s hard on the internals.
2: Don’t drop a round in the chamber and close the slide-it’s hard on the extractor.
3: Lube your gun-it’s not a Glock.
4: Use reputable mags-Wilson mags are my go to.
5: Look up “Wilson combat channel” on YouTube and watch the Do’s and Don’ts and how to clean/lube. Bill Wilson took the time to make them and his name is all over them.
6: If your DW is Duty coat- Use what the manufacturer recommends. They took the time and money to add that to the manual. I use Kroil and Militec. Surprisingly, I now use those two strictly on all my guns with zero problems.
All great but 1&2 are the most important, it’s the sign of an amateur or his cousin bubba

· Registered
21 Posts
1: Don’t slam the slide home on an empty gun-it’s hard on the internals.
2: Don’t drop a round in the chamber and close the slide-it’s hard on the extractor.
3: Lube your gun-it’s not a Glock.
4: Use reputable mags-Wilson mags are my go to.
5: Look up “Wilson combat channel” on YouTube and watch the Do’s and Don’ts and how to clean/lube. Bill Wilson took the time to make them and his name is all over them.
6: If your DW is Duty coat- Use what the manufacturer recommends. They took the time and money to add that to the manual. I use Kroil and Militec. Surprisingly, I now use those two strictly on all my guns with zero problems.
Great info.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts