1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the slim bushings shown in the photo below VZ universals? They are installed on a Valor, but I'm not 100% sure that they're original. I'm needing to swap the bushings out for a set of Challis standard bushings, but I understand that most tools are not compatible with VZ bushings.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,016 Posts
You need this tool, don't try a screwdriver. The Challis bushing removal took sits in those slots and then a screw is threaded into the grip bushing and you can easily extract them.

They make a slim and a standard removal tool

Grip Change_5.jpg

Grip Change_4.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need this tool, don't try a screwdriver. The Challis bushing removal took sits in those slots and then a screw is threaded into the grip bushing and you can easily extract them.

They make a slim and a standard removal tool

View attachment 456969

View attachment 456971
That was my plan, but the Challis tool supposedly isn't compatible with VZ bushings. I know that Dan Wesson used VZ universal bushings on many of their Valors. Just concerned that if I purchase the Challis tool that it won't fit.

·
6,016 Posts
No, the Challis tool will 100% work, no problem

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
I agree.... I have removed DW bushings from at least a dozen guns with challis's tool.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Good deal...ordering a slim tool and bushings now. I have a set of Macassar Ebony grips on the way from Woodcaliber and don't want to risk damaging them by using slim bushings.
Note........ I have also removed many standard size slotted bushings with the slim tool as well.

Reactions: jcc7x7 and CHL82

·
6,016 Posts
Note........ I have also removed many standard size slotted bushings with the slim tool as well.
I agree, I bet you could, they should sell both heads together with one breaker bar and just make life simple

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I agree, I bet you could, they should sell both heads together with one breaker bar and just make life simple
I've only got the slim bushing removal tool and just used it over the weekend to remove standard size bushings from Bubba Colt. They were even HARD CHROMED standard size bushings, and the Challis slim tool fit just fine . . . . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I used the Challis bushings for the first time a couple of months ago.
They are really nice. Well designed and made.
Going to have to get the tool now.

·
6,016 Posts
@CHL82 you're welcome, now changing bushings/grip thickness is fun and hassle free, right ?

Reactions: CHL82

·
14,799 Posts
I've been putting this off for months. Wish I'd have taken the plunge sooner.
You're on a slippery slope.

Bushings are the "gateway" part. Next it will be a new slide stop. Then the mainspring housing, maybe with a magwell. Soon to follow will be the thumb safety, then triggers . . .

Get help now before it's too late. Check yourself into rehab. @TheCollector runs a fine program . . . .

Reactions: CHL82

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts

Bushings are the "gateway" part. Next it will be a new slide stop. Then the mainspring housing, maybe with a magwell. Soon to follow will be the thumb safety, then triggers . . .

Get help now before it's too late. Check yourself into rehab. @TheCollector runs a fine program . . . .
Aaaaaaaaaaah! ............ the adrenaline rush we get from small improvements we make ourselves to the guns we love.
*****he asks himself, "I wonder if I could do this task myself if only I had the right tool?"*****
AND SO it begins!!!!!

IMG_3530 (2).jpg
IMG_3531 (2).jpg
IMG_3532 (2).jpg
IMG_2216 (2).jpg
IMG_2224 (2).jpg
IMG_2265 (2).jpg
IMG_2267 (2).jpg

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Just the grip abyss is concern in itself !

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
Just the grip abyss is concern in itself !

Whatever you do, never, and I mean NEVER, search for @Joe C 's "Barrel Fit Challenge" thread . . . . .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luke is fairly handy, and if he can't do it most likely Caleb can LOL
Unfortunately I wasn't quite as blessed with mechanical acumen as him, but I get by. That boy has been turning wrenches on stuff since he was little. He's an even better mechanic than he is a bubba smith.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts