What Smith?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by FWoo45, Oct 21, 2018.

1. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    After being inspired by @WhoIsJohnGalt? A few moments ago I have decided that I really need to add a new revolver to the stable. I have a 686+ that was my first big boy wheel gun. It is a pretty nice gun for what it is. Problem is that after I picked up my python a few months ago, I don't really shoot it and my feelings for it have waned. I really want a pre-lock s&w to compare it to. Problem is that I'm in komifornia and they're hard to come by and command a premium. I really don't know too much about them and don't know anyone who does. I'm not looking to spend registered magnum money. Looking for something that qualifies as a c&r gun around $1200 or less. I can stretch that a bit if necessary but it would cut into the 1911 budget and we all know that isn't good. Thanks for the input. Looking at you miss @Joni Lynn. -Frank

2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    It’s been a few weeks since I browsed Gunbroker to gauge current prices - and not knowing what the California angle may do to the pricing scale - but I wonder if a nice Model 28 / Highway Patrolman might fit the bill?

Edited to add - I initially overlooked your mention of C&R - I don’t know if a 28 would qualify as that.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Not sure where in this hell hole state you are but I’d start checking the local gun stores, look for a nice M27 or M28 personally, they are some of my favorites at reasonable prices. The M19 is sweet gun as well but its the smaller K frame, I prefer N frames. Smiths frankly are like Pringles or 1911’s, hard to get just one, I had a safe full at one point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm up north. Butte county. I've been looking and calling around but there's nothing. I should state that I think I'd like to stick with .357.

5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Will look for a m27 on the gunbroker. I've got a kitchen table guy that will receive guns for free, unlike the stupid boushey range that wants $85 to open a box.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  6. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I'd say in part it depends on how you might use the gun. If it's every going to be carried much the K frame is a "sweet spot" gun, but if it's just a range gun, occasionally hunting, or household sort where the extra size/weight doesn't matter much the n frames are really hard to beat. unless you use lightweight/hot loads both can be shot more than most of us can afford to shoot without any issues, but the weight and feel of the n frame makes a day a the range nicer.

Good luck in the search. I for one hate the idea of buying revolvers w/o being able to inspect them, but a lot can be judged from the external condition. My own experience suggests that a small to medium premium for a light turnline and good looking forcing cone/ breach face is worth it.

FWoo45 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  7. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Back when I carried a 1006 daily, I was jonesin' for a 610 to go with it.

[​IMG]

I'm outta 10mm now, but if I ever come across one, and I have a fistful of dollars to spare...

FWoo45 likes this.
  8. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm searching for a m27 or at least an n frame. Not having too much luck on gunbroker. I would also like a k frame but am a bit hesitant as I won't be able to carry it because komifornia sucks. Basically I can't cut out a 1911.

9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    So I'm having a bit of a time finding a m27 no dash. There are a couple pre27 guns on gunbroker that are in my price range. There are also some m27-2 guns that I'm not sure are old enough to get as a c&r gun. My search for a timeline of when different "dash whatever" guns came out has come up blank. Anyone have any insight into this? Also thoughts on the post registered magnum, pre m27 guns?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted