What sort of springs for a 9mm Commander?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by 45dotACP, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 45dotACP

45dotACP Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    I have a new Colt Combat Commander in 9mm, but I also suspect I'll wear out the springs before too long and I have absolutely no clue as to what spring setup I'll need for mainspring and recoil spring. Any thoughts from you guys? It's stupid fun to shoot.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

3. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    My GI uses an 11 or a twelve.

4. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Call Wilson Combat and get what they say.....I just ordered springs for my S&W pro series Officer Size and they knew what was needed.

Karsten

5. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    A 12 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound mainspring. If you run 124 or 147gr rounds regularly, a 14 pound spring might be better but you might find that 115gr 9mm might cycle slower with weaker ejection with a 14 pound spring. I find that many factory 9mm guns are over sprung. I'll usually start with a 12 pound spring for a Commander and a 10 pound spring for a full size and adjust up or down if needed.

605atthe wheels, cfl4rat and Kip like this.
  6. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I think you can get Colt springs through Brownells or Midway but the Wolff Gun Springs link above is great and I have found Wolff spring to work well.

7. ForesterPumice

ForesterPumice Not a Gunsmith, but learning more everyday.

Sep 23, 2016
    Slide weight and smoothNess must play a part, only explanation I can think of for no standard spring weight.

I

8. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    My DW Guardian 9mm runs the best with a 13# spring. 12 and 14 and it sometimes doesn't lock the slide back on an empty magazine. This is with 124-147gr ball ammo.

9. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    The Wolff site shows in notes the Colt factory ratings for Commander and Government Models in the various calibers. When you go to the drop down individual recoil spring selection menu; all the springs are shown as .45 in either reduced power (RP), extra power (XP) or standard power.

I find it interesting that the Wilson Combat recoil spring selection philosophy is at odds with the Wolff. WC says use the heaviest which insures reliable function. Wolff says use the lightest which insures reliable function.

There is no question: ammunition for many calibers varies considerably in bullet weight and muzzle velocity. That gets our buddy Newton involved.

I have found in 9mm and .38 Super; I get reliable functioning with both extremes of factory ammunition and everything in between using the Colt factory recommendation.

Another consideration is recoil impulse as it applies to recoil recovery. This can be where the lighter than standard springs really shine. You can gauge this performance anomaly watching the front sight and/or using a timer. The reduced power calibration pack can facilitate experimentation along those lines. I have done this in another couple of different calibers. It is interesting.

41 Charlie and william adams like this.
  10. redsoxwa

redsoxwa Member

Jun 19, 2013
    I tried the WC #18 spring in my 9mm CMD.

Had way more recoil and I'd get some light strikes on the
    primers.

Well, I went back to the stock spring, and now get softer recoil.

The light strikes seemed to be the fact that my firing pin was dragging.

I cleaned the firing pin area and spring, but didn't oil it.

Whereas //it would catch at one point when depressed..I works back and forth fine now when I depress it with a punch.

Will see how it runs at the range.

Even thoughI like this for a range gun, it's still a little big for me to carry
    8-10 hours a day.

The Kimber MICRO 9mms look very good right now as the glowing reports come
    in.

A Miro would take the place of my Ruger 1911, and my PPS M2.

Small and light, with 9mm +P power.

I'm thinking that I can always buy the Target 9mm or .45 later in the
    new year. Those adj. sights sure are sexy looking:)

Anyone else have a hankering for a Kimber Micro 9?

11. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Kimber micro 9 is a close copy of the sig 938, no? base model has no night sights, yes? costs the same? maybe. Early on when new, the kimbers were overpriced in my area. 700-1050 depending.

Ive had a Sig P238 .380 and now a P938 9mm. Both reliable, and should be able to found for slightly less than the Kimber, especially used.

Although lately I have seen 938 prices higher than they were a year to 18 months ago. They were 550-600 new. Umm, buy whichever you can get cheaper... I suppose. As long as you don't want ns on the Kimber. Otherwise I think the sig is still a slightly better value (includes ns), if bought right.

decent price in the Kimber? http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...mber-micro-9-two-tone-9mm-with-rosewood-grips

12. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Your experience with the WC supplied recoil spring is an excellent example for others. The felt recoil impulse seemed enhanced due to the extra movement of the front sight. The slide slamming home harder than required created a sensation of additional recoil.

Now, hopefully, the cleaning and degreasing of the firing pin and tunnel will square away the light strike anomaly.
    If not, perform the pencil test.

A pencil will shoot out the barrel towards the ceiling very well if nothing is impeding the movement of the firing pin. Insert pencil eraser end first in the unloaded pistol. Point pistol at ceiling and pull trigger. If the pencil just comes out and stalls; you need to inspect the firing pin and the plunger for interferance marks.

rod442 and Kip like this.
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Good tip with the pencil EXFI. Super easy way to check!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted