1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thing has seen some decent use, and while taking a break in a 1991A1 rebuild, I started thinking about this neglected beast. I’ve probably put about 5000 rds through it since I bought it new 12 or 13 years ago. External extractor slide. Several years ago, got a burgeoning gunsmith friend (now famous in the NFA world, apparently) to do a bobtail on it. It wasn’t pretty, but I was fine with that, was going to do the final blending myself. Never cared for the bobtail mod when it came to actually shooting the thing, however. Lost interest in it, did my first ground up govt build, had a kid, yada yada yada.

So what do I do? Thinking a checkered front strap and undercut, blend the stock grip safety. Egw regrets MSH or just blend in a new bobtail? Maybe do some weird chop job and blend on an officers sized MSH and magwell? Anyone else regret the bobtail and do something nuts?

Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Sounds like Phineas C. Zoid has competition . . . .

He's been King since Forester got lost in the forest . . .

Reactions: cpt. obvious

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so my thinking leads me to two main options.

1.) EGW regrets MSH, and use grips that extend over the where the msh pin would normally be, fit wood inserts underneath the grips to fill in the gap between the grips and the new full size mainspring housing. Alternatively, use a govt size MSH and drill a new hole higher up, fill cavity below new pin hole, do grip panel modifications as stated. This option would be the easiest overall.

2.) shorten frame some, use officer size MSH w/ magwell and blend to frame. This would also require some grip panel modification, as I can't relocate the grip bushing any higher up. This option would be more difficult, require a lot more work, and is also a bit on the nutty side, and therefore, more fun (probably).

this would all, of course require getting the frame re-anodized, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts