1911 Firearm Addicts banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

· Premium Member
Springfield Fanatic
1,540 Posts
I had always wanted one and I went to my LGS around 2010 with the intention of buying a Glock in .45. But there was a used Springer GI staring at me. I had recently got to enjoy my buddies 1911’s so I bought it. I took it apart and put it back together too many times to count then hit the range. Instant love despite the shitty GI sites.
For the long time addicts that remember the raffle I won, that GI became the base for my Joe C, Chuck and Lou collaboration. I just wish I had known more about them when Joe asked what features I wanted. I would have added a few things while keeping it as close to a plain Jane as possible. Still shoots tight groups, never has failed or even hiccuped, even after thousands of rounds fired. It is a true Family Heirloom.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Thank you Joe , Chuck and Lou for this amazing weapon. @pistolwretch @Joe C

· Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Nostalgia for my long gone Colt LW Commander, serial# CLW024650.
I had to sell it in the early 80s.:cry:
Wish I could find it again.

· born in the wrong century
10,823 Posts
What was your first 1911 that got you into collecting them?

The first one for me was my TRP.

I was set up to run right out of the box. It's been a great gun and one that I'll never part with.

I subscribe to the theory that a solid carry gun & knife need solid backups.

I picked up this Loaded .45 new and have carried it quite a bit. It's been great and other than the checkering, the config is very similar to the TRP.

One of these days I'll send it off to a smith for some interesting work. Until then, I'll carry it and shoot the crap out of it.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
First 1911 was a NRM Colt SS. Traded it off after about 1 years of ownership for a Sig NSW P226 Navy. The original ones. Traded that for something I can't remember off the top of my head. The one that stuck and I still have is a Dan Wesson CBOB I bought at Gander M.ountain in VA for $799

· Registered
45 Posts
My first 1911 was a Kimber Stainless II, but I did not start collecting until I was blown away when an Atlas Athena melted into my hand like a glove. What a day and night difference on slide racking between Atlas and Kimber.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
This was my gateway drug to the addictive world of 1911s. A Colt Gold Cup Trophy in 2014. Still one of my favorites.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

· Registered
324 Posts
In reflecting back many years, the first 1911 pistol I can actually remember firing was a GI .45 while I was at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, in 1975. After we had completed our training with M-16's, they brought out a half dozen or so 1911's and "familiarized" us with the ole war horse. We lined up in columns, and each trainee was instructed on how to load the pistol, then fire a magazine of ammo, then make the pistol safe, and return it to the table.
The first 1911 I personally owned was a Colt Gold Cup that I bought in 1981. That pistol is now in the possession of a family member.
My real liking of the 1911 came about when I bought a pre series 80 Combat Commander. I became enamored with the beautiful polished blue steel. My like of the 1911 only grew when I got my hands on my first Commander chambered in .38 Super. Nothing much else will do these days.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts