What was your first 1911 you purchased? First impression after shooting it?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Troutman27, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Troutman27

Troutman27 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    My first 1911 I purchased was a Kimber Eclipse Target II. The older version with the darker grips. I remember giving 960.00 for it got it home and felt kinda sick thinking I just blew a grand on something that probably would not shoot. So just dropped it in the safe for about 6 months till one day decided to get it out and see just how sick I was about to be. Set up a big gulp cup about 20yds away, give or take. Loaded up a 7rd mag racked the slide and added 1 more for a total of 8 rds. First shot knocked the cup over n thought pure luck. Second shot the cup jumped and I thought hum. Third shot it flipped again and I flipped the safety on to see if there was a sniper shooting at my cup as I knew it couldn’t be me but no sniper. Fourth shot missed low about an inch and thought well here we go, accuracy is starting to fail. Fifth and six shots the cup jumped and it almost broke apart. Now I’m smiling ear to ear and squeeze of the last two with another hit and a near miss. Both misses was my fault of course.I still have that old Kimber and that started my 1911 addiction with no end in sight. Never have worried about spending 1k or much more on any 1911 since then. 1911’s are very accurate for me. Anyone else feel the same?

xerts1191, azpoolguy and ZoidMeister like this.
  2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I too fell for the Kimber advertising:cry: but happily really like my first 1911, a Kimber Custom II 45acp and I think it was $809 otd five years ago or so.

I bought it and a 22/45 for the wife and we started on a Thursday night shooting league just for fun. I got pretty good with it on Thursdays to where the wife and I won the season for most improved. I was hitting those little cheddar snack crackers and tic tacs at 50’ by the end of the season, we started the first week with paper plates and the final target each night got smaller until we got to tic tacs on the last week:) Got up to 6 shots to hit them start out two tries one handed (100points) then two tries two handed (50points) then finally you could bring it in to 25’ and shoot two handed (10 points)
    Then I used it to train and take all my cow training and certification, I out shot our instructor with it out to 75 yards! After all our trading and certification was fine we did this just for fun!! The whole class started out at 10 and moved back each round until we got to 75 and he and I were the only two left. He was shooting a Glock in 40s&w and I was using my 5” kimber 1911 in 45acp shooting head size target and bowling pins. I hit 5/6 at 75 yards (not feet) and he hit 2/6 so I was pretty excited but I was just shooting Thursday competition for the last few months so....

Anyways that’s my first and I will not sell it, ever even if it is as a guy from work says that shitty Kimber!!

Oh and by the way
    Welcome from NW Ohio

3. Troutman27

Troutman27 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Thank you and thanks for your first 1911 story.

4. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Dad let me shoot up a refridgerator with grandpas colt when I was 8 or 9 years old. I think that smile was on my face for a year!

FWoo45, xerts1191, WHEELS and 2 others like this.
  5. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    My first 1911 was a Norinco 5”. Think I paid between 329.00 & 379.00 for it,this was back in the early 90s. (Long Island NY) My best recollection of wow those sight are small, That and I was able to keep all rounds fired at the 10 yard line into a 6” target. It Also fed my reloads
    200 gr Semi Wad Cutters over 5.0 of 231. Carried it in a DeSantis Tripple agent shoulder rig.
    Back then the NY permit was too and from range, hunting or in the course of employment only.
    The 5 Burroughs of NYC were prohibited.

xerts1191 and Troutman27 like this.
  6. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    My first was a slightly used SS Springfield TRP. I just got an itch to buy a 1911 45 for my 44th Birthday (I couldn't wait for the 45th!), so I bought it instead of the grill my wife was planning to buy for me.

For years, my fellow SWAT guys were all "gaga" about the platform. I had shot a few of theirs, and wasn't overly impressed. However, the moment I took my new to me TRP out for its first range session, I was "ADDICTED"!! That ignited a fire inside for the old slab side. I could never shoot my issued Glock 22 that well! From that moment, a 1911 (or 2011) occupied my holster, with the Glock's being regulated to back up status. Been thru probably a hundred 1911s since, down to just under 10 at the moment.

7. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    SA A1 a heavy trigger and bad sights .But I was hooked .I still have it love that ole gun.

xerts1191, Babboonbobo and Troutman27 like this.
  8. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    DW heritage 45 acp. loved it day one. still miss it. traded in for $$ for the first WC

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Bought my first for myself on my 21st Birthday. I had a choice between .45 ACP and .38 Super. Don't know why I chose as I did, probably because I already had a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 LC.

Now I have a couple of them.

Twins Colt .38 Super-003.JPG

10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I bought this about 6 years ago when I got the bug to build a custom 1911 myself.
    View attachment 222271 I took it to the range one time stock just to see if it worked. The gun ran fine but had a 10lb trigger pull so it was very hard for me to get any consistency and the small sights sucked. 39AD8308-8C6D-443E-8D89-522026839EF5.jpeg The finished product worked a lot better and built my love of the 1911.

gaijin, FWoo45, Otherside and 3 others like this.
  11. brucebulluck

brucebulluck Member

Nov 23, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Heres my first one. Used Silverback from Dan Wesson custom shop. $1450 otd. No regrets, a real shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. brucebulluck

brucebulluck Member

Nov 23, 2018
    [​IMG]
    And heres my second one. Nighthawk Custom Classic 9mm. A real beauty. Unfired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    My first 1911 purchase was a brand new Colt Series 70 MKIV in satin/nickel. A friend of mine was a Bail Enforcement Agent had one. I decided I needed it for a "Go to Court" gun. Another friend had a FFL so he ordered it for me and I received in a week later. Damn it was/is pretty. Shoots smooth and accurate. I had never fired a 1911 until I bought this one in the mid 1970s.

Crappy cell phone pic... Sorry! Nickel on the flats, satin on the round angles.

upload_2019-2-14_11-34-21.jpeg

14. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Jumped right in the deep end didn’t ya!

15. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    I bought my first 1911 about twelve years ago...it was a Springfield, can't remember the model, but it was not just a basic GI model. I had not fired a .45ACP handgun before, so that was a first on both counts. I remember thinking how well it felt in the hand and the trigger...awesome. I just very recently got back into 1911s and in fact bought a nicely customized Springfield from a member here and I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend. I had a Les Baer from another member, but I decided I didn't need one that nice, oh, yes and then there is the Ruger SR1911 Commander I got from a member here...but then I bought a STI 2011 and ... wow.

16. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    My first 1911 was this Para Ordnance P-12 .45 I bought from my L.E. neighbor about 10-12 years ago. It was his duty gun. It remains at the ready for home defense to this day. My first New 1911 was bought 4 months later. Kimber Grand Raptor ... I had it until 3 weeks ago when I sold it to a friend... His first 1911!!

View attachment 222499 IMG_1773 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Buck Buck, 1L26, cgff and 4 others like this.
  17. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    A 70 series GC/NM, right around '84 IIRC. It looked bone stock, but it was a tack driver and smooth as butter compared to the armory crap I had to qualify with in the Corps. Wish I'd kept it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    gaijin and xerts1191 like this.
  18. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    IMG_0450.jpg I just got my first 1911 from my wife this past Christmas , I have shot a few Colts , I like how mine shoots , I need to get used to the grip etc ... I've carried S&W , Sig and Glock for many years ,

19. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Colt National Match Gold Cup - 1967. At the time it was my dream gun. I foolishly sold it when my active duty assignments didn't give me the time to compete in bullseye shooting anymore.

wrmiller, xerts1191 and Troutman27 like this.
  20. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Mine was a Kimber Custom II. From the first mag I ran through it I have been hooked on the 1911. I've heard a lot of "Mimber" hate but that one was a tack-driver and never gave me any trouble that I can remember, other than that Kim-Pro finish that flaked off if you gave it a stern look.

I learned a lot messing around with that one, but ultimately it was one of the guns I sold to fund my first Dan Wesson.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted