1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been talking to a guy that I am going to do some wild hog hunting with down here in the Houston area. He tells me that he never goes bow hunting any more without a pistol on his hip. He told me of at least 3 times that he was chased by a wild hog, 1 time he came very close to a very serious injury and had to kill the hog with a knife he had on his side while lying on his back. Certainly a hair raising situation.

For a while I knew I was not going to bow hunt without being armed with a pistol. I figure I would be best served with the pistol I am most familiar and comfortable with, my Colt 1911 Commander or NRM. I don't have a dedicated hunting sidearm like a Ruger Blackhawk or something similar.

I'd like to know what you all would recommend I load it with. At first I thought it would be fine enough to use a good Home Defense type load, but now that he told me those stories and how these hogs can get to 300 pounds or more, it might be better to get a good solid bullet. I don't know if such a round would be ok to use in a factory Colt 1911.

What would you all load your 1911 with in a situation like this? The only other pistol that I have that would be close to my 1911 in stopping power is my S&W Model 65 with a 3 inch barrel in 357mag. Do you think that would be the better choice?

Opinions and thoughts please.

Thanks for your time and any help you can give me.

Nalajr

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
All it requires is a heavy recoil spring.. All the factory parts can be used in a standard quality 1911.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
I wouldn't carry a .45 acp to shoot a hog.

Whatever caliber I did choose I'd want a hardcast round for max penetration.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
Also, I personally wouldn't want a .357 either.

I'd want heavy hard cast.

minumum for me would be 10mm.

Underwood makes a 220 hardcast.

.44 mag even better.

·
Enabler
3,498 Posts
What about one of the 50 GI rounds?

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
OP,

IMO, you don't have a handgun (of the two you listened) that's adequate for hogs.

What's the old saying?... "Use the right tool for the job!..."

·
Super Moderator
13,835 Posts
You guys are over thinking this. There's a bunch of good, cheap loads that'll take a hog out. Shot placement is key, no matter what you're using. I've shot a bunch of hogs and there's not been a more potent hog stopper, for me, than the .44 Mag 180gr JSP. Which isn't a load that most hog handgun hunting conversations are centered around. But, they drop like Thor's hammer hit'em or skid to a pile of dead pork, if they happen to be running, when hit by this load. Trust me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,835 Posts
Also, we have quite a few hogs taken each year with 230gr FMJ .45 ACP and multiple .357 Mag loads. It's all about shot placement, but the above mentioned 180gr .44 Mag load will whack and stack a pile of pork. ;)

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
Fast forward to 1:25

Air rifle! .177! 1600 fps

·
Go Ahead, Make My Day!
1,725 Posts
What would you all load your 1911 with in a situation like this? The only other pistol that I have that would be close to my 1911 in stopping power is my S&W Model 65 with a 3 inch barrel in 357mag. Do you think that would be the better choice?
With a 3 inch 357 you are way undergunned. Use a 1911 with 5 inch not commander to achieve more velocity/more energy and use something like the Winchester SXT 230 HP. Best choice for
then 1911 size package would be a 10mm. If I was to pick a 1911
just for this task, it would be a longslide in 10mm

·
Get off my lawn...
15,816 Posts
With a 3 inch 357 you are way undergunned. Use a 1911 with 5 inch not commander to achieve more velocity/more energy and use something like the Winchester SXT 230 HP. Best choice for
then 1911 size package would be a 10mm. If I was to pick a 1911
just for this task, it would be a longslide in 10mm
10mm is probably best for this task...

Be safe!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts