1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pistol is a Garrison.
Having issues when firing. The slide will move back, but not reach the ejector.
Spent shell remains in the ejection port.

Drop the mag, remove the spent cartridge, but then have to bang the rear of the slide to get the slide to move foreword.

Extractor tension looks good.

The pistol hand cycles fine.

Wood Automotive exterior Bullet Asphalt Gun accessory

Revolver Gesture Trigger Finger Bumper

Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Bullet

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looking at the pics better I can see that now. Is it happening constantly or intermittently? Once jammed it stays jammed with shell and mag removed. I can think of 3 possible interference points, ejector to slide as mentioned, slide to hammer, and barrel caught between the lugs. If barrel, it may unjam if you push forward on the muzzle.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s staying locked with the jam cleared and the mag out.
Having to tap the slide to get it to move forward.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the barrel locks tight.
No movement at all when it’s jammed.
Pushing the muzzle in works, as does hitting the back of the slide.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And when you take it apart, what's got wear marks?

The fact that you say it's not reaching far enough back to hit the ejector tells me that there's probably something wrong with how the recoil spring guide rod or recoil spring itself is situated in the gun..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And when you take it apart, what's got wear marks?

The fact that you say it's not reaching far enough back to hit the ejector tells me that there's probably something wrong with how the recoil spring guide rod or recoil spring itself is situated in the gun..
Wear marks seem to be normal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wear marks seem to be normal.
I mean, that's not the most helpful reply, but ok; given that information that "wear marks seem to be normal", "it's extremely wet", and "pushing the muzzle in works, as does hitting the back of the slide", I am completely mystified as to why your gun is jamming.

If only there was a way to get more information or photographs of all of the parts, and maybe a description of all the stuff that was (or was not) done to the gun before this range trip (or, even, if this was it's first range trip ever)...

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Picture #1 looks like you slide stop pin is pushed in pretty far from the right side. Is it supposed to be a shortened & recessed pin?

Reactions: Longbow

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
8,439 Posts
Doesn't it seem like the magazine is sitting very high in the chamber :unsure:

Did you try firing it with a magazine in it to see if the magazine is binding slowing the slide.

I'd also want to try a new/differant recoil spring.

·
Premium Member
Single Stack 1911
399 Posts
Contact Springfield and return it for service. No need to mess with a new gun that's in warranty.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys…
I have been checking every millimeter of this little bugger.
Usually I test fire, as it comes from the factory, to insure smooth feed and ejection, prior to changing anything.
Like a fool, and trusting in Springfield, I did not do that this time.

I’ve been working through each of your suggestions. And like I stated above everything hand cycles fine.

So, on to what I found. The test fire and pix will come later today.

On the frame dust cover, in front of the rails, there was a raised area.
The dust cover came off the rails straight, and then there was a gentle rise up, and then back down.
This “hill” affected about 5mm in length, on both upper surfaces of the dust cover.
The “hill” was dressed down with a stone, and polished, and hit with a bluing pen, to check for rub marks after test fire.
The breach face on the slide had a rough area, opposite side to extractor window, above the ejector plate.
This was polished out.
The extractor internal face was squared off, and not chamfered, on the lower edge.
Ive had good luck with Springfield extractors, so this was also addressed, and the extractor faces polished.

I’ve been running a 16# Recoil spring, and have a number to try out if problems persist.

If she still doesn’t run this afternoon, I’ll put her back to factory settings, and try another test.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well. Nothing worked.
Still stopping in the same place.
When it’s ejecting, it ejects well. Changed out recoil springs. Still the same.
Hand cycles very smoothly, with no hitches.

Laser pointer Office supplies Writing implement Pen Writing instrument accessory

Finger Thumb Nail Tints and shades Writing implement

Air gun Bumper Carbon Material property Automotive exterior

Gesture Finger Bumper Nail Wrist

Office supplies Air gun Pen Trigger Bumper

1 - 20 of 42 Posts