What's it really like to live in California (Re: Gun restrictions)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by P J, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    One of the last air shows, guy pulled out to low in an F-18 and the pilot lived through 40G impact. Lots of surgeries, but he's still around.

Also sorry for side tracking this one. Lots of good memories.

P J, Pilot Rich and wrmiller like this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Don't they still have the law where ARs can't have removable magazines?

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    It's more complicated than that. They can, just with a bunch of BS.

P J, River runner and wrmiller like this.
  4. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Yes I vaguely remeber watching some of the solutions for this one. Didn't stick because I burnt out on ARs in the 80s. I hated working on them without all the after market goodies now available.

5. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
  6. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Maybe you’re gonna enjoy dropping a steaming deuce on the sidewalks.....

Every day, the entire time you are there.

7. Pilot Rich

Pilot Rich Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Some Americans might simply follow the Second Amendment for guidance. It is written very clearly.

1L26 likes this.
  8. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    One thing to be aware of, which could be overlooked if you’re not thorough in your research is, though you can bring off roster handguns into the state, you cannot possess a handgun with a threaded barrel. It falls under the “Assault weapon” classification at that point.

If you wanted to bring a suppressor ready handgun you would have to have a thread protector welded onto the barrel to permanently disable the threads or you’d have to put a new, unthreaded barrel in it.

P J and simonp like this.
  9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Great point although some might argue that copious amounts of red locktite could cover your arse. Or pin it. Or just buy another barrel depending upon what gun we're talking about.

P J and River runner like this.
  10. P J

P J Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks much for this. Just to make sure I'm understanding...if I were to remove the 'evil' features from a banned firearm (say a Colt AR), it still is banned? The list supersedes appearance?

11. P J

P J Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Also for anyone who has experience or anecdotal knowledge...what are the odds of getting a CCW in Riverside county?

livinthelife likes this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352777

Looks like you may have a shot in Riverside - just scanned the thread since briefly but you should read through to see the ins and outs for Riverside CCW

FWoo45 and P J like this.
  13. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    You’ll have to make sure your Colt isn’t banned by name. Otherwise changing configuration doesn’t even matter it’s banned no matter what you do.

I’ll be honest when I was there I found the maglock cheaper and easier to do to be compliant. I might have one laying around if you go that route let me know.

FWoo45, P J and simonp like this.
  14. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Riverside is fairly obtainable. It’s still a lot of work to do in California though.

FWoo45, P J and simonp like this.
  15. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I’ve only lived in California, so not sure how easy other states are. But from what I know, Riverside is probably the easiest in California to get your CCW in. You can PM me for specifics on how to go about it if you’d like.

16. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I'll be visiting my mom in Riverside in the next week. It's fairly easy in Riverside county.

FWoo45 and P J like this.
  17. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Leave your Fishing poles behind. Nearly useless in Riverside lol.

P J likes this.
  18. P J

P J Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks much for everyone's comments and advice/help...you guys are awesome!

simonp likes this.
  19. P J

P J Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Almost forgot one of my most important questions: I do some gunsmithing as a hobby. Is there any issue with 'building' an off roster handgun (say a Colt 1911) or building up a 100% off roster handgun frame that came along in a move? I know there are issues with 80% parts, but not sure about the above.

20. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    As long as you bring any off roster hand guns with you & I suggest that you bring as many as you can, think you may want or need - then you should be good.

You may want to look at the calguns classifieds to see what it will cost you for an off roster handgun if you decide at a later date you need something.

FWoo45, P J, rhsth4 and 1 other person like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted