1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Low capacity, low tech...
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! We're glad that you're here.

Lets face it, it won't be your last 1911 that you'll own. But to help you with your decision, on your first 1911, before posting the question at hand, here are a few things to think about. You don't need to have an answer for all of these questions, but it can help to narrow down the selections.

1) what's my budget?
2) what will I mainly be using this gun for: range toy, home defense, carry, car/truck gun?
3) if for carry, what's my build? Can I easily conceal a 5" barrel and a full frame? Do I want to?
4) curve or flat trigger? ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
They are a bunch of haters. I posted a pic of our family trip to Disney at TOS and I had a LowePro camera slingbag on. These clowns seem to think that equates to a man-purse. Been a running joke ever since. Hardy har har.

It doesn't matter what is in the bag, it is still a man purse...

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
It doesn't matter what is in the bag, it is still a man purse...
I disagree, I use backpacks for school to carry my books. I have a range bag to carry my guns and ammo. That's a camera bag to carry a camera and equipment.

When you choose to carry a bag because you don't want things in your pocket such as your keys, wallet, or lipstick, then you're a damn fruit. Wallets go in pockets. Guns go in holsters. Cameras... debatable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I disagree, I use backpacks for school to carry my books. I have a range bag to carry my guns and ammo. That's a camera bag to carry a camera and equipment.

When you choose to carry a bag because you don't want things in your pocket such as your keys, wallet, or lipstick, then you're a damn fruit. Wallets go in pockets. Guns go in holsters. Cameras... debatable.
Cameras are meant to go around the collar of your hawaiian shirt whilst on vacation. :grin:

·
#15 to Register!
426 Posts
They are a bunch of haters. I posted a pic of our family trip to Disney at TOS and I had a LowePro camera slingbag on. These clowns seem to think that equates to a man-purse. Been a running joke ever since. Hardy har har.

Don't tell anyone, but I hear through the grapevine that deadite wears a murse, too.

:rofl2:

deadite

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, since no one wants to talk about it, here goes:

Short version first:

Kimber - crap
Shooters Arms (Century-Phillipino) - excellent
Taurus stainless - wonderful
Colt - usually good to VG
Springfield Armory - great

Long version:

Buy a Springfield Armory for customizing/carry/fun or Taurus for a carry/fun. Avoid Kimber (as I was told by a world class smith AFTER I bought a Kimber and found out why). The Shooters Arms beat the crap out of the Kimber as far as trigger pull and out of the box usefulness/useableness and is a solid gun that works 100% for a good price. Colt is good, but you are paying too much for the name.

·
#15 to Register!
426 Posts
OK, since no one wants to talk about it, here goes:

Short version first:

Kimber - crap
Shooters Arms (Century-Phillipino) - excellent
Taurus stainless - wonderful
Colt - usually good to VG
Springfield Armory - great

Long version:

Buy a Springfield Armory for customizing/carry/fun or Taurus for a carry/fun. Avoid Kimber (as I was told by a world class smith AFTER I bought a Kimber and found out why). The Shooters Arms beat the crap out of the Kimber as far as trigger pull and out of the box usefulness/useableness and is a solid gun that works 100% for a good price. Colt is good, but you are paying too much for the name.
Not so sure about he Taurus...also, Kimbers get a bad rap, I think. I had one and it was a good 1911. Don't forget about Dan Wesson. :)

deadite

·
Banned
418 Posts
Listed Kimber as "crap" and Taurus as "wonderful"? That's debatable.
Other way around I would argue. Kimber these days is marginal, Taurus I wouldn't buy, and will not recommend to anyone even with a small budget. My advice rather than a Taurus is save some more $$$ and rethink your purchase

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Other way around I would argue. Kimber these days is marginal, Taurus I wouldn't buy, and will not recommend to anyone even with a small budget. My advice rather than a Taurus is save some more $$$ and rethink your purchase
+1
Saving for good things is underrated.

I would rather have even a Remington R1 over a Kimber or a Taurus any day.But,saving up for a Colt or something right around a Grand is worth the effort.

DAT85

1 - 20 of 20 Posts