Dan Wesson What's the best shooter I own?

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by ZArugby, Jan 25, 2019.

1. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    I saw another addict's posts about the Limited Edition end-of-run Valors that DW was producing.
    Having a color case hardened frame, and bone grip was attractive, but how would it shoot? I have had many DW's in 9mm (V-Bob, ECO, Silverback, PM-9, PM-C) and for the most part they shot perfectly. I've had other 9mm 1911's that also shot flawlessly, but that's not this discussion.

So, yesterday, I went and picked up my new Limited Valor 5" 9mm, and ran off to the range with 300 rounds of MinuteMan Munitions Blue Coats in 125gr and 115gr ready for the break-in. I had stripped the pistol to check it out, and it is very, very tight. I have had a Baer a couple years back and this one is like that. The bushing is not tight at all though, but the slide to frame rail is super tight. I had to pay close attention when re-assembling, as it won't just easily couple up and allow you to slide it home. Everything needs to be aligned or else, nothing.

Anyway, off to the range and loaded up 8 ten-round magazine, and blasted away for 30 minutes, reloading mags and switching targets. 100 of those rounds, I fired in Mozambique format and I didn't stop until all rounds were spent.

The slide and barrel were too hot to to touch, and when I turned to collect by gear I saw a small group of people behind watching the fun. A couple of them were the Range Officers and the co-ordinator for the action shooting events at the range. each one wanted to fondle this gun and feel it, nodding in agreement at how nicely it was finished and how the slide-racking action felt.

I tested the trigger pull on my Lyman and averaged 2lb 15oz over ten pulls. The POI was perfectly on POA. Not one round or casing misfired or failed in any way. This gun just fed and fired without stopping. I had a favorite shooter in my Dan Wesson experience at that was my Silverback with its smoothness, accuracy and soft-shooting characteristics. This Valor has just surpassed my Silverback by a small margin. I cannot describe what the exact difference is other than I can double-tap significantly better with this pistol than my Silverback. It could be the lighter trigger on this Valor. I had a load of fun.

I took the bone grips off and placed some burl ones in their place just to save the bone grips from wear.

Here are some pics.

First one is a 10-round mag at 10 yards.

View attachment 206943 DW_Valor_07.jpg DW_Valor_08.jpg DW_Valor_09.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Dub, ORShooter, Otherside and 28 others like this.
  2. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Nice report, shooting $ looking gun! If it was me I’d put the bone grips back on & enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dub, WC145, ZArugby and 1 other person like this.

3. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Great report and @TheCollector and @Dwe should see this too :)
    I have not shot mine in 45acp as yet (still in the gawking phase). Did you find yours to be heavily lubed from the factory?

Dub, ZArugby, Jollyroger1 and 2 others like this.
  4. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    GREAT report!!
    I'm hoping mine starts its journey to me on Monday... looking forward to doing some Mike-gawking as well. :grin: @Mike0251

5. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    No, I found mine to be pretty dry actually really dry. It was wrapped in grease-paper.
    Interested to note is that I am sure that DW had been planning this for a while. My pistol is dated 2017, and I’ll bet it was laying around in a storage facility until they decided to launch this one. I saw yours was dated 2018. Was it well lubed when you got it?

Dub, Jollyroger1 and TheCollector like this.
  6. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    It is soaking with lube and its a bit on viscous side as well. A golden amber in color. I do plan on taking it apart prior to shooting though. Its great when the folks at the range start oooing and ahhing! It is definitely one hell of a beautiful pistola from DW and I am so happy I got one too.

Dub, Badabing11, ZArugby and 2 others like this.
  7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
  8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I like the burl grips, great report ;)

The only gripe I have with DW is why not recess the slide-stop on something like this limited runs ?

Dub, Otherside, B81 and 1 other person like this.
  9. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    True, I did notice this, but it’s not something I ever had very high on my want list.

10. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Nice report
    It will be a few weeks before I get mine.

Mike0251 likes this.
  11. IowaDave

IowaDave New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Just looked at one at my local gun shop on Saturday. I might need to go back and take another look. Nice report!

12. FredZ

FredZ Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 7, 2017
    Sure looks like a really nice piece. Has DW done anything to the pistol beyond the cosmetic changes? If so what are they. I agree with your judgment about the silverback vs Valor. While the silverback is a real pleasure to shoot the Integrity custom Valors that Steve has done for me are just about perfect. IMG_4429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dub, l3uLLDoZeR, ZArugby and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted