Whats the story with selling ivory grips?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Cop_Out, May 5, 2019.

1. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi folks,
    I have a couple of sets of ivory 1911 grips. Whats the story with selling them theses days?
    Thanks,
    C

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013

3. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Can sell them in state only to a resident of your home state.

4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    What state are you in? Elephant ivory is in state only. Mammoth is gtg depending on the state of the buyer.

simonp likes this.
  5. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks, gents. I had thought it changed, but apparently not.

6. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    someone should probably @ the guy who is currently has a for sale listing of a 1911 with ivory grips.

7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well this is not exactly correct no such thing as a residency requirement you can look up the definition of "Intrastate Commerce" because it is very specific. Please see the following from Uncle. We need to be careful when advising of specific Federal Regulations. So much incorrect information out there from the internet I buy ivory and there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.. https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

For the real detail and as part of what I do am in the Federal Register frequently see this document the Final Rule neat to read but page 10 is what you want to read. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2016-06-06/pdf/2016-13173.pdf

Glock2740 likes this.
  8. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    Its ok if mounted on a gun.

9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Maybe and most likely will meet the criteria BUT always need to know -- read the FAQ from USFWS on this specific issue.
    To qualify for the de minimis exception, manufactured or handcrafted items must meet (i) or (ii) and (iii) - (vii) of the following criteria:

(i) If the item is located within the United States, the ivory was imported into the United States prior to January 18, 1990, or was imported into the United States under a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) pre-Convention certificate with no limitation on its commercial use;

(ii) If the item is located outside the United States, the ivory was removed from the wild prior to February 26, 1976;

(iii) The ivory is a fixed or integral component or components of a larger manufactured or handcrafted item and is not in its current form the primary source of the value of the item, that is, the ivory does not account for more than 50 % of the value of the item;

(iv) The ivory is not raw;

(v) The manufactured or handcrafted item is not made wholly or primarily of ivory, that is, the ivory component or components do not account for more than 50 % of the item by volume;

(vi) The total weight of the ivory component or components is less than 200 grams; and

(vii) The item was manufactured or handcrafted before July 6, 2016.

FWoo45 and zChambers like this.
  10. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    Just so I'm clear on this, grips cannot be sold even when mounted on a gun?

Last edited: May 6, 2019

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted