1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my first cousins was/is a 1911 fanatic. I believe he bought his first one around '81 or so. At every family get together he was always showing me and my other cousins his newest 1911. I really liked their feel and how they pointed so naturally. Too bad I didn't shoot any of them because I know I would have been hooked right then!

Fast forward several years...
Glock was becoming the rage and several of my friends were buying them. Mostly 9's but a few 45's. I didn't really like how they felt in my hand and I didn't know exactly why at the time. I decided it was time for me to buy something and began shopping. As I looked at and handled auto loaders I was always drawn to the 1911. I liked their feel and how they pointed so naturally over everything else. But they were out of my price range at the time so I never could decide on anything.

Around 2001 or so one of my co workers bought a XD. We were out of town working in Montgomery Alabama at the time. He wanted me to shoot it but we were working long hours and we just couldn't find the time. I remember how I really liked the feel of it. It wasn't a 1911 but it felt better in my hand than any other polymer I had ever held. It also pointed naturally, like a 1911. More years went by and I still hadn't bought a fantastic plastic hand gun. Then one day I received an email from SFA on their new XDm release. I liked the look over the plane XD. I eventually picked up my first one at a gun show and many more followed.

I can't find photos of all of them but here are a few. The middle one isn't a polymer, it's a 911 steel sub compact.
Brown Wood Air gun Trigger Wood stain

My first M&P 2.0 in 9mm along with my long gone and last XDm in 10mm.
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

After I bought my first 1911 as a birthday present for myself my plastic guns soon were all sold to buy more 1911's. 😉 Glad I'm not the only one. I did end up buying another SFA XDm, a 10mm but I sold that on GB for a $400 plus profit. Seems they are hard to come by. Now I have just two polymer's, both are M&P 2.0's. One is a 9 and the other a 10. I like the fact they come with high sights and an optic cut. I also like not having a grip safety. The thumb safety is what I really like and have gotten very used to.

So I've migrated over to the S&W M&P's and I've discovered that these are what I like the most in a striker fired plastic handgun. They feel great and have good triggers and are not over priced like many other brands. They are a good value I believe.

My only 2 plastic guns. Haven't decided on Apex triggers yet. Honestly I like the triggers just as they are but then again I haven't shot one with an Apex. If I do I might decide on getting them changed out. Seems like they are popular.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I really like my Walther PPQ .45 - it just feels good in my hands and it shoots well (for me). I used to have a P99AS which was the most “comfortable” gun I’ve ever held and this one is a close second. At 12+1, it’s my bedside gun.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

That said, I really like the feel of my H&K P30…so I would expect the VP9 would be about the same.

Disclaimer: I’m not particularly sensitive to triggers (except for the H&K USP 45 that I had…the take up could be measured with an hour glass!), so I don’t comment on how “crisp” the triggers are. I pull the trigger, it goes bang, and the round hits about where I want it to. I’m happy! 😄

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talk about travel. With the XD's you had better pack a lunch. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Lisa93 and taurn7

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My first pistol was a used Beretta 92 clone and then a Smith and Wesson 4506. I then migrated to Glocks and bought several. I avoided 1911’s because of presumed difficultly in disassembly and maintenance. Also, they weren’t the latest, greatest new kid on the block.

After a while, I determined I should have at least one 1911 in my collection, and bought a colt gunsite pistol. Well, I’m sure like most of you, I fell in love with it. The natural point ability, the superb trigger and the beauty of fine craftsmanship is everything I need. After carrying the 1911, I noticed how unnatural my Glock pointed and stopped using it.

I have a Shadow Systems MR920 now for a striker fired gun. It has everything my Glock had in terms of reliability and durability. It’s fairly inexpensive in 1911 terms and is supported in the aftermarket world. Best part is the backstrap can be changed to point like my 1911. It’s made in America, which is a plus.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Currently for carry it’s a Sig 365XL because it has a manual safety and doesn’t have a “trigger safety”.

House gun: Sig M17 mainly because it has a manual safety, can hold a white light and a red dot.

Competition gun: if it’s not Single Stack it‘s a P320 X5 Legion. Big, heavy gun with very good triggers for a striker gun.

I had a P99 as well. It was incredibly accurate. Great gun but at a time when if I wanted something, something had to go. I was a Glock fan boy for a long time but moved on. Still have some hammer HKs but I let a VP9 go that I did some trigger work that was to die for.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
High Power Fan
108 Posts
Kel Tec P-11... it's the second polymer striker fired pistol I ever bought.
It was better than the S&W Sigma VE 40, the first gun I "bought".
I will never buy another polymer or striker fired pistol.

My preference runs towards the Browning High Power or Sig P238/P938. I suppose that makes me a good candidate for the 1911 should I feel the need to try something new!

And revolvers are pretty cool because they are so clean... no brass flying all over the place.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shadow Systems DR and XR are my current favorite. Price is good for the features offered. Guns are good quality with nice upgrades without being priced way way over what we'd otherwise pay for a stock Glock. As Shadow Systems says, these guns are actually less expensive than a Glock with aftermarket parts and custom grip work.

No issues with using in various Glock holsters. Plus instant aftermarket support since whatever trigger or sights, etc for Glock should retrofit.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Well, opinions seem to be all over the place, with some having an almost visceral aversion to Glocks (me), while some love their ergonomics. I think it’s kinda like taste in food: There are “foods” that I wouldn’t look at twice, thinking they were refuse or worse, while others consider the same dish to be a delicacy.
First off, I truly believe there is no better pistol design than the model of 1911. Period. The HP is a close second, but there is not one striker fired pistol I would put anywhere close to the same zip code as those two. My one and only striker fired pistol isn’t really mine anymore, as SWMBO has claimed it as her own. An early Springfield XD Tactical in God’s cartridge, it is one of the most accurate, softest recoiling pistols I have ever shot. It’s 13+1 capacity gives me warm fuzzies, happy that my wife has it as her SD gun. She is scary good with it, and considering it was the second handgun she’d ever shot ( the first being my Ruger Single-Six in .22 LR), her proficiency is damn near miraculous.
I’ve shot lots of other striker fired guns, lots of DA/SA, and the few blowback guns out there, like the Deagle etc., and I always come back to the 1911. If I need more bullets, it’s either spare mags or a double-stack like the 2011. After a few years experience on two-way ranges, I have learned that proficiency trumps magazine capacity. The only other striker fired gun I will ever buy for myself is an XD in 10mm, and that’s just for hunting. I like the 10mm for pigs, and I will carry one whenever I get the chance to fish up north in bear country. @OldCuz , thanks for bringing up a great topic for discussion! I love that we can talk about stuff like this and not get butt hurt. I’ve seen this very topic devolve into actual fighting in deer camps!

Eric

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
3,996 Posts
Hey Cuz, I had a similar travel through the various pistols until I started buying better guns. Had a couple .40 Glocks and thought that I was the ultimate assassin if I could get a 4" group. Mag capacity was king and 1911's 'did not carry enough bullets'. I had a 45, sort of a 1911 in an old and very ugly Llama. It weighed about 5 lbs to me and was horrible so I thought all 1911's were like that. First "good" 1911 was a Kimber way back in the early 2000's and was a very nice gun. Then I discovered the different calibers and realized that from a standpoint of what I really liked to hold, shoot and look at were the originals...so I have stayed with Colts typically(1 STI, 1 Smith) now I have what I typically carry. Like you, only polymers are S&W Shields as the triggers are great for what they are. And several nice revolvers so I can really feel a trigger. LOL

1 - 20 of 253 Posts