1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering what semi-automatic firearm is your most trusted choice for a self defense weapon whether it be for carry, home, car/truck, whatever. A gun that you have NO DOUBT that will fire a full magazine without a malfunction of any kind.

And capacity & caliber NOT being a factor.

While I dearly love the 1911 & I have a bunch of high quality ones to shoot, there are others that I trust more than the 1911. I know there will be guys that have fired thousands of rounds through their 1911 without failure & that's awesome & fine by me. Believe me, I'm not knocking 1911's, they're my favorite range gun & my favorite to own.

All of that being said, I trust my Heckler & Koch's more than any other firearm, not that I like them the best, but I trust them the most. My old USP's just fire anything I put in it all the time. New, dirty, old, corrosive, any bullet weight or design, it just plain works and that guys makes me trust it with my & my family's life.

BCD 45

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
I would love to answer this question but I really don’t own any guns other than 1911s that would be used for SD! I have other firearms but they’re really range toys for the most part.
With that in mind I have never had a malfunction with my Wilson CQB that is my regular carry gun and I’ve shot every type of crap ammo to the best ammo I could find through it just to make sure it works 100%

I am seriously considering a Sig P365 yet this year to change that and my EDC X9 is on it’s way to me as we speak, so maybe in the near future that can/will change.

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,891 Posts
My vote is split between the Wilson ULCC that I have carried the last 3 years and a old Sig 220 that I carried for 16+ years. The ULCC has seen I have no idea how many rounds, been through 6 training classes with no issues. The Sig was carried for 16+ years as a duty pistol has had the barrel replaced twice by Sig and just keeps on ticking. When I retired I sent it to Sig for a refresh, came back as good as new. The Sig and I formed a special bond back in 2004 so it will never go anywhere, it provers it’s reliability that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
While I dearly love the 1911 & I have a bunch of high quality ones to shoot, there are others that I trust more than the 1911. I know there will be guys that have fired thousands of rounds through their 1911 without failure & that's awesome & fine by me. Believe me, I'm not knocking 1911's, they're my favorite range gun & my favorite to own.
M1A!
Product Brown Gun Firearm Trigger
He did say the most trusted Semi Auto 4 SD :happy:.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I don’t own unreliable guns, they are made to run or they go.

For SD it’s a 1911 every time. I’m fortunate to have a few to choose from, they have all proven to be reliable over thousands of rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Sig P226 is my to-hell-and-back gun if the SHTF.

My daily carry is a WC EDC X9 because it continues to run and run And run without hiccup.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I trust all my autos for self defense, if they didn't work I wouldn't own them. My house gun is G21, my carry autos are 1911s, a Hi Power, and a CM9. I could close my eyes and grab any one of those and be confident that it will perform as expected should the SHTF.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I could reasonably walk into my gun room and pick up nearly any semi-auto in there, including any of my 1911s, and rely on it to work without question. I have a bunch of HK USPs, a couple flavors of Sig, and two Glocks that in addition to being reliable, require very little maintenance. If the question were which would I pick for lowest maintenance, it would be the Glocks, because I know they will work just fine and I truly don't care about them, so they occupy the least amount of head space beyond their immediate utility as a tool.

About the only things that come to mind as not being that reliable are my .22lr handguns, and a Browning Hi-Power that does not like most flavors of FMJ.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I carry my Wilson ULCC (9mm) everyday and have for months which means I also shoot the hell out of it and with about 3,000 rounds through it it has never, ever had an issue so I do trust it 100%.

Recently, I have been shooting the heck out of my new Counselor and have about 1,500 rounds with 150 being self-defense ammo and have had zero failures so I'm getting there on the trust factor.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.