close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your thought s on this 1911 for a base for a custom build

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by bw210, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Check out the Safari Arms with Caspian frame, now owned and marketed as Olympic Arms 1911.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248952409

I had a chance to buy a lower Caspian with a Dela Elite upper and passed and now regret it. Loved the way it felt. I thinking about plans for a new carry gun in 45acp and was thinking about this one. Has some of what I want such as Commander size, bull barrel and no MIM parts. I like the naked slide as I don't want a billboard. Would like to change finish to Nitron, add tooled steel for control parts, some 20lpi checkering on MSH, Hennie or 10-8 tritium sights if I can, lined or scalloped top of slide and probably a few other things. I'd have to off something to get this, but I could carry for awhile till I saved up enough dough to send off for custom work. Probably your guys opinion of where to send would greatly influence my decision as there are no real 1911 smiths in my area.

Anybody have any experience with these and possibly a line on getting one besides GunBroker?

2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    That is beyond disgusting, and a disgrace. Your money though, but IMO there are a LOT more options that are much better, especially at that price.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Not a fan of Caspian frames.
    Will not own ANYTHING Olympic Arms!

While these are personal opinions, Caspian frames are cast.
    Olympic Arms has had some very serious issues in the past,.......no business from me.

4. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    No experiences with them at all... just held one and like they way it felt. Had no idea Caspian frames were cast, big negative for me though.

5. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Do some research on Olympic Arms,..........

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Mmmm, I could be wrong, but don't a LOT of people use Caspian frames, including HP? "However, in addition to Colt most any quality base gun/frame such as those from Springfield Armory, Les Baer, and Caspian will make a beautiful custom gun once we're done with it." -HP

Is there something I'm missing here?

7. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I contacted David Sams to discuss a custom 1911. He's regarded as an excellent builder, who won't cut corners on quality. His ground
    up builds are exclusively Caspian. He says they're tougher than forged frames - says he's had files break checkering them,
    but the same files go through forged like butter. FWIW.

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    re-read what he posted.

9. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Who the heJJ is David Sams? His website shows nothing special, forged is a lot stronger & more structurally stable than cast!

10. PYPER45

PYPER45 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    if it was my $ i would buy something else. buy a well known used gun and save a lot of $$$$. then have it built the way you want it. or keep it stock. i would not spend a lot on custom parts untill i see how the gun does. there are alot of choices at gun shows, just my 2 cents, good luk on your purchase. pyper45. $1000.00 will get you a real nice gun.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Goodness, that looks awful.

12. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    While Caspian frames are cast they are used by some pretty talented builders. However, they aren't as widely used as Springfield or Colt.

Here's a gun that's currently on sale on GB. I think the builder's pretty darn good. :hail:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    as for the OP's original question of how that gun looks...not my cup of tea.

14. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I would,. and did, use a Springfield GI as a base gun for half that cost.

15. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Not a very popular frame look I see... that's cool. Just looking to do a way out of the box build. I would prefer to find a used one from Safari, the picture was just a reference. Frame is really comfortable to hold even though the pics might say otherwise.

16. crlovel

crlovel New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    You want a base for a custom build, go buy a Norinco. A third of the cost of that, and built like a brick.

17. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Some builders refuse to work on Norincos,.......the steel is VERY hard on tools

18. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    So you're sayin' there's a chance...

;)

deadite

19. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    While almost any manufacture of 1911's can be used as a base gun, the outcome will not be a full blown custom gun. Reason being, that most parts is slightly under sized from the get go, due to the quick assembly line build process.
    Granted! They may be made more accurate and reliable, by tuning and modifying existing parts, but you cannot put metal back on, needed for that perfect fit, that the gun never had from the beginning.
    It's better to start with oversized materials right from the frame, slide, barrel, bushing, and buy the other quality parts. A lot of customers have found out the hard way, that there isn't any "easy" street to a discount full blown custom 1911.
    Like so many other things in life, everything has a price.....or a flip side to it when it comes to discount guns.

20. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted