1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the range earlier this evening with the 29-2, 19-3 Texas Ranger and the 66-2. The only .44 ammo I could get my hands on is this 240gr SWC lead .44 Special from a company called Grizzly. For the 19 and 66 I used Federal 130gr fmj .38spl.

Here's the 29, first rounds at 10 yards double action:

The 19, double action 10 yards. I don't think I've ever shot a revolver more accurately than this one:

And at 15 yards

Finally the outstanding 66. This time I ran various drills starting at 5, 7 and 10 yards with the target facing me for 2.5 seconds at each distance. I really really really like this revolver:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add some things. The 29 was fun, I did have to adjust the rear sight to bring the groups down to poa/poi but I ran in to a minor problem: the ejector rod loosened and ending up binding up the revolver. Easy fix and the 'smith on property at the range tightened it back up to the proper specs. Looking forward to taking it out again.

The 19 is just spooky accurate and easy to shoot. From 15 yards and out my groups opened up but I attribute that to my vision-same results with any handgun I shoot at those distances. I really got lucky finding this one, having the fill done on the sideplate and barrel markings are pure icing.

The 66, well nothing more to say than it wil probably get carried more than any other handgun I own.

Back in 1977 I started shooting regularly and most of it was with revolvers (a model 10 heavy barrel 4", then a 4" 66). The training back then included shooting out to 50 yards and my eye sight was much much better. As much as the 1911 is my favorite auto I'll never feel undergunned with a 6 shot K and a couple of speedloaders handy to get me through my sunshine years.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
When you shoot some .44 mag full loads out if the 29-2, I would interested to see if you have to re-adjust your poa/poi. I find mine changes a bit when I go from 44 special to 44 magnum loads.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 629-1 that the difference out to 25 yards (the farthest my range has) was negligible, I'd expect the same with this. I'll try some magnums next time I take it out and report back.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Always liked my 4" Mdl. 29 the best of all the different bbl lengths I've owned.

Reactions: Doc45

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 66 snub carries so nicely, I'd say you're well prepared with that riding in good leather!

Reactions: Doc45
1 - 6 of 6 Posts