When do you call it reliable enough for carry?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by vermilionbird, Sep 24, 2020.

1. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    I’ve got a small stash of silvertips, With rereading your post I caught my typo
    Should have been 185gr silvertips

2. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    break down and lube properly; 50 rounds of ball, 2-3 mags of carry HP with brands mixed, 50-100 rounds of SWC reloads. A bit of all this fired one-handed, a bit fired weak-handed.

Diagnose any failures, if they point to the gun, more of whatever failed.

Truthfully, Colts/Springfields have almost proven so reliable I'd buy one as a replacement for a stolen or confiscated gun, load it with Remington/Winchester or other quality ball, stick it in a holster and leave the store regardless of caliber.

3. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    How reliable is the well-constructed 1911 in 45 Auto? I’d guess 99.95% .. around 1 failure per 2,000 rounds. Like many, I have guns with zero failures. Some of them have 5,000 or more rounds. Most guns I personally own with over 5k have had a failure or three. Sometimes attributed to my reloads, a dry gun, a weakened spring, or a magazine problem. Sometimes (rarely, but not “never”) just WTF.

If you keep your gun in good shape, well lubed, use quality magazines, not-worn-out springs and feed it good ammo, 500 rounds should tell you if your gun is going to be less reliable than a typical 1911 in 45 Auto.

Like all autoloading pistols, it will eventually have a failure (if shot enough). I’d bet very few 1911s in 45 Auto have gone 20,000 or more with zero failures. Sure, some have, but I’d bet not too many.

Do your part, and it will perform as designed.

Cop_Out and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  4. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    I'm no expert but I shoot 50 rounds or so at the range and if its 100%, I am GTG.

But I keep taking my primary to the range and compensate as needed if failure happens.

I feel like if I have a problem, its going to happen within the first 1-2 mags.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Besides all of our reliability ideas. I like to be sure i am proficient with a new gun. Knowing how it hits as per point of aim. And being sure i can hit point of aim with the gun. Being able to work the controls without having to think about it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted