When do you take safety off?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Greg3458, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Transitioning to the 1911 platform for defense. Been doing quite a bit of dry fire practice to build the muscle memory to flick safety off. For those experienced 1911 shooters when do you take safety off in thinking about a defensive situation?

And....is it best practice to place and keep thumb on safety when firing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Safety off just before support hand meets pistol during the draw

I ride the safety

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Oh boy another chance to post this video.....

Thank you @Jollyroger1

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    joerockhead, mtang45, pcso13 and 10 others like this.
  4. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    What about in a home defense scenario. Both hands gripping gun in low ready position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm more concerned about the trigger finger than the safety. I'd rather get the safety off early and the finger on late than the other way around ;)

Tango63, Hardball, pcso13 and 12 others like this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Safety off just before support hand meets pistol

azpoolguy likes this.
  7. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Just me but if you have an Oh Crap Moment and you have to draw you weapon the safety comes off between the draw and and the time the gun is pointed at the target......You try to break your trigger finger until you are sure you want to/have to shoot.

When you are sure and have a clear target and know what is behind it take the shot, then another and another until the threat is gone.

Just the way I learned.

Karsten

Tango63, pcso13, simonp and 3 others like this.
  8. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    So a Low Ready or maybe the old Praying Mantis....The Bad Guy with the Ball Bat just broke both your arms or you Jaw either way........Holliweird doesn't work in real life.

A 1911 has 4 safeties....The one between you ears that tells you there might be a problem, the one when you know there is a problem and you grip it( Grip )

The Thumb Safety even off the gun will not fire.....The Trigger Finger is the last Safety.

Shoot or No Shoot.....You have a couple seconds to chose who lives and goes home

Just my thinking.

Karsten

Justin_Pelletier, ZoidMeister and Kip like this.
  9. Sonic Ox

Sonic Ox Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2018
    For me, if the weapon is out of the holster, the safety is off. I only re-engage the safety right before holstering. I do practice religious muzzle discipline and keep my index finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. I don't ride the safety. Just personal preference.

mtang45, pcso13, Glock2740 and 2 others like this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Safety stays on until I move the gun toward the target - as my weak hand is coming to gun - get grip and begin firing. I ride the safety when I fire.../ safety always goes back on as I bring gun back to my chest after firing....& trigger finger goes back to "high on slide)...

At low ready ....thumb safety is on ...and trigger finger is high on slide ( not near trigger ).../ I have a tactical drill my buddies & I do often. From low ready ( thumb safety is on, trigger finger high on slide - not on trigger or trigger guard )....at buzzer ...push forward ( drop safety, touch trigger ) & fire 4 rds in under 2.3 sec...shots should be center chest ( each shot over time is (-1 )...)...A zone hits are zero.

We draw from holster & rapid fire ...( draw & fire 4 shots in under 3.2 sec ) ...and we practice " Hand on Gun" in holster ...( safety on, no finger near trigger .../ Hand on Gun ...at buzzer draw & fire 4 rds in under 3 sec..../ to give you the contrast in time std's.

All of these drills represent, in my view, the proper way to execute a self defense tactical shot string ....and a time element to add stress & perform to a standard. ( 90% or above is acceptable ...). A zone hits zero / B zone -1 / C zone -2 / D zone -3 / off paper -5 .../ dropping safety too soon or touching trigger too soon are DQ's or -10 ...( meaning, leave the gun at home until you train more & carry a cell phone )...

My primary carry is a 5" 1911 in 9mm.../ and 1911's have been my primary carry gun ( in .45acp or 9mm )... for last 30 yrs...( I'm 68 now...)...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  11. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Safety off on the draw, as the gun clears the holster.

I don't ride the safety.

i keep my pistol tucked in close if I'm moving, clearing the house, etc.. I'm stronger, have better leverage and balance that way and don't have anything sticking out to be grabbed or hit.

In real life you don't get to keep both hands on your gun all the time. You might need to fight, hold a flashlight, open a door, push or pull someone out of the way, flip a switch, pick up or move something, or who knows what so I'm old school on grip. I use a strong one hand grip, supporting it with my free hand when possible, so I'm not relying on a two handed grip, it's bonus.

LHA4Assault, mtang45, pcso13 and 7 others like this.
  12. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    This...at least for me. I don't ride the safety either.

Sonic Ox likes this.
  13. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Okay if it's in my house and setting bedside the thumb safety is already off.
    But in all fairness it's also a cz Shadow 2, not a 1911 bedside.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Shocker2000 and Greg3458 like this.
  14. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Just after support hand reaches the pistol for ne. Prevents any problems in case you sweep your weak hand.

I ride the safety

15. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I practice drawing from concealment quite often when bored at work (gat unloaded). Thumb safety is snicked off in drawing motion while muzzle is still pointed downward, usually as the muzzle is a few inches clear of the holster. I practice two-handed full extension draws, one-handed full extension draws, and a shooting from the hip. I don't want to rely on a support hand everytime i draw, because I realize a real self defence situation most likely will not allow me to get into a paper-shooting stance.

I feel it's important to do this as often as possible for muscle memory. In addition, actually pulling the trigger while practicing is important (again, unloaded if not on the range). When drawing quickly and using one hand only, it will surprise a few folks how often a proper grip is not obtained that disengages the grip safety allowing the trigger to be pulled. Throw in movement off the X, and/or practicing a sweeping motion with off hand (think gun pointed at your head), and proper grip can be compromised a bit more.

I'm a safety rider. Helps with control when firing, but always having thumb on safety reminds me to snick it off when drawing.

16. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Interesting I had an AD at a recent steel match! Luckily it was forward of the orange cone so I wasn't DQ'd. I was pushing my draw times and it surprised the **** out of me. Apparently I would snap the safety off as I'm coming up to present and obviously finger was on the trigger a little too early. I thought I knew to snap the safety off and finger on trigger as presenting. It's funny what speed does to you but I think no better place to put yourself under some stress then at shooting sports. I will do more dry fire representations.

Sonic Ox, FWoo45, Uncle Bob and 4 others like this.
  17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Best is like deadguy just said,safety off soon as cleared holster.
    I ride the safety as well,just part of my grip.
    He also brings up a good point - grip!
    TONS of practice until you don't have to keep "altering" your grip after the draw.

18. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Thanks so then all I need is some better trigger discipline!

19. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Yes.
    I reference my trigger finger on the top of the slide stop button. Same boring spot every boring time...consistent repetition.
    For me it's a more sensitive spot than the pad of my finger.

20. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    @Kip thanks I'll try that!

Kip likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted