when is a gunsmith required?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by rfd, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rfd

rfd New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    there are lotsa you tube vids with amateurs tweaking triggers, hammers (in conjunction with beavertails), firing pins, etc. i was always under the impression that messing with the firing mechanism of any gun, including "just drop in replace" parts, was work for a competent gunsmith and no one less. that would make those kinda vids unsafe in every way. changing grips, recoil springs, sights, etc, not included.

your comments?

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    more than one options can be pick...

a) when you're too uncomfortable to do the mod/adjustment yourself.
    b) when you've gone pass your head in doing the mod/adjustment yourself.
    c) when the gun goes into 2-3 round burst.
    d) you've taken off way too much metal.
    e) the Dremel turned from friend to foe.

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    f) when the blood flow won't stop with a band aid

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    there are also "competent" gunsmiths that do trigger jobs on YouTube (via Nutnfancy) and the 1911 later goes auto, so go to a knowledgable smith.

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    When you want it done right, the first time. And you're willing to wait and pay the premium. :)

7. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    I am a self trained tinkerer. I don't call myself a smith while others do I reserve that title for craftsmen who really do things I can't even imagine trying. I have learned. A lot from the brownells and midway videos. Due to these videos I have done the triggers on my springers and have been told they are pretty good. I feel being able to modify and fix your own firearms is an important part of owning guns but only if you have the confidence and basic knowledge

8. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Plus One for above. Also good videos on Wilson Combat, just do a search on You Tube or Wilson's site. I like working on my own equipment of all types, guns also. We only have one gun smith in my area and he is a rectal orifice, so it's fix it yourself or ship it. If I'm going to do something on a 1911 that I'm not familiar with I research the topic by reading, videos and email/phone people that do know and don't mind sharing knowledge. I then do the repair/change and try the 1911 without ammo for function. If all feels well I move on to test firing and it doesn't always work the first time. I had a failure my first build ignition system when the pistol was erratic, not dependable. Probably a good thing as it forced me to go back to the bench see why it failed and to learn more about hammers, sears, disconnectors and the relationships. I then ordered a sear jig, stones and a hammer hook file. Then using the same parts made the needed repairs and back to the range. Ending result is no failures since with a trigger pull of 3.7. I am sending it to a smith at WC to have the barrel flush cut and counter bored. I have a deep respect for pistol smiths and wish I was younger and didn't have arthritis in my hands as I would like to learn more about the trade. In short if a gun doesn't feel right I'm not going to shoot it and am going to seek the services of a smith.
    Bill

9. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    This. I've learned all my guns from seeing how parts relate, and how they fit. Learning from several sources, and comparing notes before doing anything, has always been good for me. I've only swapped a trigger on my 1911, but I've done a lot of work to various .22's. I feel most comfortable with the 10/22, followed by the P22, 22A, and MKIII pistols. Those I'm confident with, I'm just now getting the courage and information to do 1911's. My next goal is to buy a beat up pawn shop 1911 and rebuild it, doing all the work myself. (I'm not screwing around with my current 1911 until I KNOW I can do it!)

10. QNman

QNman 1911 Lover Supporting Addict

Feb 28, 2012
    :rofl2:

I particularly like d). That's why I use a fine file, slowly, and measure frequently. No Dremel tools for me (at least not on the short work).

11. sheepman

sheepman New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    If you are not sure of what you are doing DON'T. The second rule is modify the cheapest part (you can't put mettle back easily). It is usually a better Idea to pay for professional work than have an unsafe or non repairable gun.

12. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Glad this thread came back up. Where is this video, Quack? I can't find it on the IdiotTube.

13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    besides, if ya don't keep em busy doin what they want to do, we'd just have to support their sorry arses on welfare! :nod:

Bob

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted