Where can I get a pin which is the same size as a thumb safety

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Feb 12, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I need a pin the same size as the thumb safety so I can hold the BTGS in place and blend it with the frame without interference from the thumb safety.
    Bill

2. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy Member

Aug 20, 2011
    A pin that size comes with the 10-8 Performance Armorers Block. Question, what BTGS are you fitting to the pistol? Both Wilson and Ed Brown offer jigs that hold the safety in place and provide a guide/template for removing the metal as well.

3. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    You can use an old thumb safety and just cut of the block portion flat. Or get a set of Gage pins, I think it's .155 or close to that.

4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Now why'd ya want to go and make things that simple! :biggrin1:

Bob

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    +1 on the gauge pin.

6. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Is there anything Amazon.com doesn't sell? Greg, I had already thought about using a thumb safety but was trying to avoid destroying a useable one. I'm calling a friend who might have a ts which will work and has already bit the dust.
    Bill

7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    MSC sells individual gage pins in about a million different sizes.

8. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I doubt it! :lol:

I have a Prime account and they are often cheaper than any local retailer, even if I spring for next day shipping (rarely do, as the free 2-day usually suits me fine).

Plus my prime account gets me unlimited free video downloads on my Kindle Fire as well as cheap and even free books (I read a lot).

9. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Bill,

Dude, seriously? Send me a PM with your addy and I'll mail you a pin at no cost. I have a piece of stock that is 4' long of the correct size if memory serves me correctly. How long of a piece do you want? Frame width I assume? All this info about sacrificing a thumb safety, ordering a pin from MSC, or Amazon, yada, yada, yada...sometimes all you have to do is ask...wish I'd seen this thread sooner and you would have had it already! LOL! It would surprise people the amount of "stuff" we smiths have laying around the shop.

Do you want the ends beveled or square? Or do you care? Just let me know man and it is on the way.

10. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Joe, I PM'd my address. I really appreciate your offer. Square will be fine.
    Once again thanks.
    Bill

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted