1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I HATE using that word to describe or talk about long guns, but I couldn’t think of a better term to use without a lot of extra words.

Anyway, I recall several years ago when the SAIGA 12 gauge shotguns were all the rage. Everyone had to have one. The custom houses were doing a brisk business for sure. I never did take a liking to them for some reason. Now I find it a bit different. I’d kinda like to put one on my list to get soon. Of course this is because of what might very well happen on January 5th in Georgia. It might be that if you ever thought about getting one, you’d better get one quick while the opportunity is there. Of course I’m praying that things don’t get that far.

Ok, now that that stuff is said...if you were going to get an AK, AR or some other VERY EVIL looking semi auto shotgun, which one would you choose and why?
It seems there are several different companies that have entries in this category. Sadly, I don’t know all of them. Quite a few of these kinds of shotguns are very expensive too. Those will NOT be on my list. I have other stuff I need to get first if it’s crunch time.

I like the AK styled shotguns. The only thing is that I don’t know that I’d like those VERY LONG magazines that many use to justify having one of these shotguns.
I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 21 inch VR barrel and a +4 extended tube to make it a 7+1. It’s an awesome performer but boy does it put a LICK on your shoulder....even with light target loads. I need to find a solution for that.

Anyway, which one would you pick if you had to pick one in the next 4 months or not be able to get one ever again? If you have the one you want now, how about some pics?

thanks all.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,142 Posts
My choice is a Mossberg 930SPX. Solid, easy to handle, fast, eats everything, and priced right.
20150517_134744.jpg

85360-media.jpg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well you have a Benelli? here goes with a few thoughts and Ideas.

FN FNP!

Browning A5 post 1963 with the fast load feature and a short barrel or a 24” buck special barrel very effective with some training and practice. Flys under the radar! Very effective at insane ranges for a shotgun with a standard led slug.

Stoeger M3000, with 18” barrel wood and Blued finish, under the radar.

Remington 870, 18-24” barrel. if you can put your hands on one flys under the radar
Browning BPS similar configuration as the Remington.
With all of them practice feeding rounds in them and shooting on the move and reloading are a practical talent that can be learned and accomplished with a decades proven design.
Reloading from the belt butt stock or the receiver shell holder can be done quickly
For non scary Shotguns =Tactical reloads not emergency reloads.

Most SGs above are obviously not tacticool but get the same results with out being obvious and Scarry looking unless your looking at it from the receiving end. From first hand experience the way Firearms sales have been honestly good luck on finding a wrist rocket sling shot in 4 months.

·
Registered
119 Posts
An instructor and retired SEAL (real deal) that I've trained under a few times offered that there were three viable tactical shotguns:

The Remington 870

The 870 pump shotgun from Remington

and the 870.

Thought this was a great list and pretty simple to follow. Learn how to run it and it will be your friend.

Jim

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,972 Posts
Forgot to mention the Remington 870 P

Reactions: Glock2740

·
Registered
Former RoofRat, mostly
456 Posts
I put my vote in for the Mossberg 930 and derivatives. Recoil is minimal on mine, as in I can roll through 100 rounds without being in pain the next day. Extended tubes and accessories can be found on EvilBay and I rarely hear of any FTE or FTF with these shotguns. Jerry Miculek even has a version made for 3 gun stuff.

The 930 like a Ruger 10/22 has a large aftermarket following. Add a 28-30" barrel and it instantly becomes a trap gun on the fairly cheap. They probably even have a rifled barrel for large game hunting.

Inexpensive and reliable for home defense and can be used in practice, hunting, competition, etc.

...Ron

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,972 Posts
I had a Moseburg back in the early '80's. Cheap and reliable.

I had a KSG 12g pump but sold it. I liked it. Solid and very reliable. But short stoking it stopped you dead in your tracks. Takes a while to clear up.

Then I decided that I needed a semi auto mag fed AR style shotgun. For some reason. It's fast as heck. You cannot outrun it. I've tried to. 5 rounds are gone in a blink of an eye. 10 round mags are a must have as I see it. They also have 25 rd mags and drums.
This gun with a good supply of loaded drums and the zombies have no chance.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I would have to say the Mossberg 930 SPX

Mossberg 590-A1 if you want a Tank with a 20 Heavy barrel, Dual Extractors and 8 plus 1 Cap.

As Old Cuz mentioned the Keltec KSG but you need to rack it with a lot of than say the average pump and reloads need to be practiced.

I had a newer 870 and just didn't care for it........Maybe an older model police but the Newer Tactical just felt cheap to me.

Karsten

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
C03A28D8-C60F-45C5-BAE4-F56F026EC556_1_201_a.jpeg

Saiga 12 , took it out yesterday, nothing beats 10 rounds of 10 pellet #00 buck in 3 seconds. Knocked all the paint off my steel plate. Shot my own home made 10 pellet #00 buck yesterday, moulded the lead into pellets, loaded them up on my Lee Load All II. Making buck shot loads for 9 cents a piece.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Give me an LTT Beretta 1301 and I’m good. That said if you want one for the novelty of it the KS-12T looks like a solid option.
I’ve heard from many that the 1301 is both lighter and softer shooting than the M4. This would definitely be my pick for a semi auto shotgun and the LTT variants comes with all of the best upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a 30 something year old Winchester Model 1300 turkey Gun that patterns number 1 and number 4 buckshot very well, and I have a folding stock and extended magazine tube/spring set for it. I also have a 12 gauge Mossberg Shock Wave that lives in my truck.

Either will more than get the job done.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I’ve heard from many that the 1301 is both lighter and softer shooting than the M4. This would definitely be my pick for a semi auto shotgun and the LTT variants comes with all of the best upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can confirm that as fact. My 1301 is the best shotgun I have ever handled. Mine is Gen 1.5 with all of the 922r compliance upgrades (same thing as an LTT Gen 2 minus the chokes).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I want a 1301. I have no need for it, but they are sweet shooting. If I did any 3 gun type shooting, I’d have one already.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Well you mentioned assault shotguns so I’m going to say the Vepr 12 or other AK based shotguns. I have a couple and they function great. I have a small hoard of 870’s for some reason. They’re super dependable but not the coolest guns.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,972 Posts
Simple but effective..

Reactions: taurn7
1 - 20 of 29 Posts