Which 1911 barrel?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Firedude, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Firedude

Firedude Active Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I'm building a 1911 for my son. Which barrel (full size, 5", 45 ACP) would you all recommend? I've been looking at the Wilson Combat Match Grade barrel or the Ed Brown drop in Match barrel. Out of those two, the Ed Brown costs less and will probably require less fitting than the WC. I have never fitted a barrel before, so hopefully its not that big of a deal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    If I was replacing a barrel I’d go with Kart hands down, it’s the one most of the premier smiths use for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
  4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I'll let someone jump in here, but fitting a barrel is a big deal- from what I understand probably the hardest part. At least if you do it correctly. In order to make it 'drop-in', you're going to have to accept a ton of loose tolerances.
    That said, I'd go with Kart. If that's not your flavor, BarSto would be a fall back.

5. dtelston

dtelston Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Bar-Sto or Kart are the golden ticket here.

echofiveniner and wcanterbury like this.
  6. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    The only barrels I use are Kart. Weigh that however you want.

7. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
  8. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    OP, when it comes to 1911's almost every decision is endlessly debated, caliber, manufacturer, MIM or Cast, etc - when it comes to 1911 barrels there is not much debate as you can see. Its Kart 90-95% of the time followed by Bar-sto, followed by the rest.

Mike Meints and wcanterbury like this.
  9. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Kart. Have a gunsmith fit it if you haven't done it a lot of times. Try @Joe C above.

10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    There is a Kart EZ Fit option available if this is your first barrel fit or don’t plan on doing more in the future and want to invest in more tools and knowledge.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  12. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Fresh shipment from Kart, NM spec. I love the smell of the oil these are shipped in.

90C5C3ED-0656-4920-94AD-2D05B1AA62A8.jpeg

Jcord and simonp like this.
  13. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    For stainless , Barsto is an excellent choice.

0D1D18FE-F45D-469F-8B06-25D15552C1DA.jpeg

14. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Used to use Kart, a friend at Brownells got me to try a Storm Lake for someone that wanted a less expensive (no fitting) option. I tried one and anytime this issue comes up, I go Storm Lake. I have one in my old 60s 1911A1 NM and am very happy with it. Not a BarSto, but works nicely. Not a match barrel.

Mike A and WHEELS like this.
  15. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I like Kart's, and usually defer to the preference of the smith building the gun. He has his preferences, and should be able to tell you WHY he likes a particular barrel.

Larry Vickers told me he likes Bar-Sto, as it'll shoot EVERYTHING well. Some may be more accurate with certain loads but the Bar-Sto, was the better all-round tube

echofiveniner and HOTCHKIS like this.
  16. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I would have to say Kart as well. I asked a question about a Bar-Sto .38 Super barrel on that other place and was Banned 15 minutes later.

Now in a shorter barrel I like the Conical Schumann

Karsten

17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    BANNED just for that??? LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

18. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Ya, well and someone posted .38 Super Dies and Brass and I jumped in the For Sale post within seconds.....Then I was Banned for asking 2 questions about the same topic in 2 Different Forum.

My Bar-Sto question was rather stupid....I asked if a .38 Super barrel could be made to work in a 9MM 1911.

Never got an answer other than You are Banned.

Karsten

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    If Irv Sr. was still making the barrels, I agree. Jr. is more into Glocks. I used to recommend BarSto, but after a few problems I stopped. I'd go Clark before BarSto these days.

20. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Kart
    Then..... crickets :p

Jcord and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted