Which 1911 to buy?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by trikerider, Dec 15, 2011.

1. trikerider

trikerider New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I am new here and to 1911's. I had a S&W4506 and currently have a Glock21SF (which I haven't even got to shoot yet because of weather). I would like a lower price 1911, due to budget constraints. After reading posts here, I am more confused than ever. Somewhere you can find that about every brand made is the best on the market. I see in magazines a lot of advertisments for the RO. I here a lot of good things about the RIA. People speak of the SA (Springfield Armory?) as being good. Are all models of SA good, or just the high end? My budget is max. of $600. What is the best bang for the buck with this budget? Usage will be mostly just target shooting for pleasure and minimal carry. I don't need a gun that will shoot 1 1/2 as I can't see that good or hold that steady anyway. Don't want to start a war, just want some good help. Thanks guys. Trikerider

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Look at RIA, Metro Arms, SA GI, and possibly Regent. I have had good luck and own all but the Regent. Bought 2 RIAs in the last 4 months. Google centerfire systems and all the RIAs will be there to look at.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    $600 budget will get one of these NIB guns on the list:

– STI Spartan 9mm or 45ACP
    – RIA Tactical 9mm or 45ACP
    – Citadel (same maker as RIA)
    – SA Mil-Spec or GI

4. DeadEye

DeadEye Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You might consider looking for a good, clean used 1911 from a reputable source. I believe you will get the most for your 600 this way. Personally, I think SA gives a vg value for the money. I have not shot or handled them all, so I can't comment on most brands. Keep an eye on the WTS (want to sell) area of the forum.... add a listing to the WTB (want to buy) section.... ask here when you find something you think is a decent deal. You will get lots of opinions! Good luck to you!

5. trikerider

trikerider New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I hear them talk about 70 or 80 series firing system. What is best? Also, I like SS, which the Ruger SR1911 has, and I think the 70 series firing system. Only thing is the price is elevated due to short supply and high demand. They sure look fine though and I hear high praise about them on Ruger forums, from owners. They worth looking at? Trikerider

6. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
  7. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Like a lot of folks have said, I'd be inclined to buy used at that budget.

8. trikerider

trikerider New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Being new to 1911's, I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one with used. Trikerider

9. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If you'd consider buying online (or even here), I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that would steer you in the right direction.

10. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    If you find something online, post up the link and we'll help you in reviewing the gun.

11. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    +1 There aren't many guns that somebody on this site doesn't own now or in the past. Just ask these guys will go out of the way to help.

12. trikerider

trikerider New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    OK guys, I am looking way over my current budget, but if one of these is worth the money I might break open my piggy bank. I have at my local dealer a SA loaded target, model P19132LP, SS, $920.
    Another is a S&W 1911 PST, SS, model 108282, $835
    Last one is a Colt Gov, numbers on it are 01091 CLT M1991A1, $900. Just the plain old Gov sites, which I don't like.
    Any of these worth the price I listed? I like the Ruger SR1911, but dealers that even have them are way high for what they probably will be when demand drops.

13. DeadEye

DeadEye Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hmmm.... maybe I just got lucky, but I only paid $650 for a good clean used SS SA loaded (not target), w/a decent holster. I'd suggest you check Guns America or Gun Broker as a price-sanity check - look and see what others are paying for the same gun. These two web sites will help you understand if the prices are reasonable. However, expect to pay more at a local store than an internet purchase. To me, a reasonable amount of increased cost is worth the guidance from resident experts, ability to see the gun before you buy, and after the sale service.... not everyone feels that way.

14. trikerider

trikerider New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Local dealer usually gives me a pretty good deal. He had (past tense) a new SA loaded target,SS, on hand. I will soon be leaving to go pick it up. They seemed to have good reports from a lot of people on a couple forums. Decided to give it a try. Trikerider

15. bdejong11129

bdejong11129 New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I cant say enough good about the RIA 45. I bought mine last year and have fed it a steady diet of various factory and reloads of my own and it always performs. I mean always. I know for a fact based on the number or primers and bullets that I have loaded that I have over 5000 rounds through mine and it has never failed me once. It shoots excellent groups and is hands down the most accurate gun I own. The while family loves it the most. I am going to get one in 9mm just to have an excuse to buy another one.

I bought mine, a two tone tactical for 425 new from the local gun shop. Again, there may be better but with this one you would have some left for bullets and some range time.

Brian

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted