1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Springfield Trophy Match vs Colt National Match Gold Cup?

• Springfield

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Colt

Votes: 25 67.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and looking to purchase my first 1911. Have many other carry guns and home defense guns, but know I really need a 1911! So I've found 2 solid options:
Springfield Armory Trophy Match

Colt National Match Gold Cup Model 70

Both of those seem fairly rare? Any input on which one to go with? I've always wanted a colt and couldn't find them for years. But many of my others are Springfield's and I always find them good and reliable, so partial to them for that reason. The prices are comparable so not a deciding factor. Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Personally, I cast my vote for the Colt. I have had better luck over the years with Colts than I have Springers, the Gold Cup is a beautiful gun and at least the 9mm GC I handled before purchasing seemed to be well fit. The current guns get some good reviews for fit and quality.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
I would buy the Colt only for the reason Colt may not be the Colt we remember soon after the buy out. So I would imagine the Hartford guns would bring more money down the road. I don’t see CZ keeping the Hartford plant going personally.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If it was between a series 80 colt and the SA. I would say SA, but since you specified series 70 Colt, I have to go with the Colt.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would buy the Colt only for the reason Colt may not be the Colt we remember soon after the buy out. So I would imagine the Hartford guns would bring more money down the road. I don’t see CZ keeping the Hartford plant going personally.
Interesting thoughts - and I agree on getting the Colt over the Springfield.

I will add a tasty thought nugget here.

CZ bought Dan Wesson and didn’t make sweeping changes to their processes or even a lot of their senior staff.

Here we are several years later and Dan Wesson is still held in very high regard. You definitely see some CZ design notes in some of the lineup but certainly not all of it.

I wonder if they will take that same approach to Colt - perhaps help Colt upgrade QA and get some much needed investment $ for modernizing infrastructure - maybe shift out some senior folks to implement improved processes - but try to leave Colt its essential self.

Not refuting what you are saying - just thinking out loud.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Interesting thoughts - and I agree on getting the Colt over the Springfield.

I will add a tasty thought nugget here.

CZ bought Dan Wesson and didn’t make sweeping changes to their processes or even a lot of their senior staff.

Here we are several years later and Dan Wesson is still held in very high regard. You definitely see some CZ design notes in some of the lineup but certainly not all of it.

I wonder if they will take that same approach to Colt - perhaps help Colt upgrade QA and get some much needed investment $ for modernizing infrastructure - maybe shift out some senior folks to implement improved processes - but try to leave Colt its essential self.

Not refuting what you are saying - just thinking out loud.
Well as of recently 2020 DW’s are no longer made in NY and all the old staff is gone besides Keith as far as I have heard anyway. I’m from CT and the cost of doing business in CT IMO will cause the closing of the Hartford plant..

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,766 Posts
There is one other staff member that stayed Jenny. What I don't understand is Keith and Jenny both still operate out of Norwich. I just found this out very recently.

On another note they've moved manufacturing to Kansas, but to my knowledge nothing to date has yet to come out of there. 2020 models appear to be a trickle at best now started out the year pretty strong, but of course when the Rona hit, everything halted. Have heard absolutely nothing if any new plans or developments with Dan Wesson at all. I agree that CZ may not immediately jump ship, but my bet is not long they'll merge out in Kansas with the other two..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 9mm GCNM from 2018, it's the loosest, rattliest gun I own. Accuracy not what one would expect from a Gold Cup National Match.

I don't own a Trophy Match, but I've handled a few. The ones I've seen were much nicer than my Colt.

Additionally with the Trophy Match you get front strap checkering and a beaver tail grip safety. Both not easily added later without also having to refinish the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to think that until I owned a Colt...

My experience with the GCNM aside, my Army Special from 1914 and my Cobra from 2016 are nice enough guns. Mostly disappointed in their semi-autos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had a Colt 1911, for many years now, without anything but a hiccup every once in a while.
I trust it, with my life, it isn’t a match pistol. But it shoots tight groups.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The springer has better and more versatile features in my opinion. Front strap checkering, fcs, extended thumb safety, skeletonized hammer, and extended beaver tail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts