1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about finally getting a 1911, but am clueless as to which companies should be avoided or sought after.

Will be using this with and without a SiCo 45Osprey suppressor and plan to put an RMR on it from the get go. Also thinking a 5" barrel as it's just going to be a range toy and not a carry piece.

So, what should I be looking at? Would love a turn key set-up if possible, but can source a threaded barrel separately if needed.

Willing to spend $2,000-2,500 all in with the RMR ($450-500) and 10x10rd mags ($200-225???), so $1,800ish max for the pistol with threaded barrel, pic rail, and RMR mount, but if there's a cheaper base model pistol I'm happy to put the extra scratch towards more reloading components.

Mag costs just based off a quick Google search of MEC-GAR single stack 10 rounders. Unsure if these are what I want/need, so welcome guidance on that front as well.

Also unsure if I want to stick with a single stack or go double. I have large hands so the grip size isn't an issue....but there is something sexy about a single stack 1911 and if this is going to be my only one (just let me have my illusions, haha) I'm thinking I should go somewhat traditional. So, welcome any DS options, but think SS will be what I eventually end up with.

Oh, and thanks for the forum. Been lurking awhile and decided to sign-up as all my reading has my head spinning.

894 Posts
The only one in that price range that comes to mind would be a Springfield TRP 10mm... You could find a Dan Wesson Suppressor ready Vigil but then you'll have to send it out to be milled for a RMR.

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have mentioned this once or twice, but I happen to really like my Sig Tac Ops as an Osprey host. I have a lot of .45 ACP silencer hosts, the nicest of which is probably an Ed Brown Executive Elite, but the Tac Ops is honestly the most comfortable, accurate, and consistent when suppressed.

As with any suppressed gun, the faster you shoot it, the more heat mirage you get. But the Sig points very naturally with the added silencer length and weight, and I have found I don't really need the sights at pin distance (10-15 yards) at speed. You aren't going to be a Delta Force Recon Seal Sniper with it, but you can be center of plate/pin at a fairly rapid pace, even when it is hot.

It is not without it's negatives. It is an external extractor gun, and though it has performed flawlessly, some folks find the very idea anathema. It's got that weird squared off Sig slide profile that I think looks cool enough, but makes it incompatible with all my other 1911 holsters. It's definitely a mass market gun with mass market build quality. It is far from my favorite gun, and by itself, I do not shoot it very often. But it is my go-to when I plan to shoot my Osprey. In fact, I used to run it suppressed in my local Bowling Pin league, but after three consecutive clean-sweep victories, it was determined to be an unfair competitive advantage, and I switched to a long-slide Nighthawk.

The Sig is also cheap, making it cheap for you to get it milled for an RMR. But if you want something more traditional, then the Dan Wesson that Chicken Dinner Arms mentioned is a step up in quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sig Tac Ops (w/ threaded barrel)
Looks like that would save a couple hundred off the front end compared to the DW and also has the rail should I want to put an IR light on it for doing some night time shenanigans with it.

Thanks for the info and a great looking set-up you've got there.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm in it for the winning info. I'm wanting the same 1911, except in 9mm.
For the OP, since you want .45acp, you might want to search for a (dare I mention) Kimber TLE Pro (TFS), no longer in production but some may be in dealer stock. I think you could buy low enough to spend money on milling the slide, it does come with tall suppressor sights.

I would love to find a suppressor ready Pro/Commander size 1911 in 9mm...still searching.
TLE & MK III Suppressed (2).jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kimber TLE Pro (TFS)
Thanks for the heads up, but I think I'm wanting the 5+" barrel for my first.

Realize the added recoil of the shorty would be mitigated by hanging a can off the end, but I go back to the appeal of the 5" barrel (well, 5.5" w/ a threaded one) and single stack mags of the OG 1911.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the above options, as well as others mentioned on other forums, I think I'm leaning towards the Sig TACOPS w/ Sig threaded barrel.

Have to be honest with myself and realize this'll primarily be a range toy, and the price difference between a DW and the Sig could buy a decent amount or .45 reloading components.

With that in mind, any recommendations for getting the slide milled for the RMR?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sig and get the slide milled
Or
EGW make dovetail plates that don't move.
One a 226 for over 60K never moved
another on 1911 never moved

1 - 15 of 15 Posts