1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Feed my Addiction!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m needing to refinish a Nighthawk that is currently Cerakoted. I am torn between Wilson Combat black Armor Tuff or Nighthawk Black nitride. These are the only 2 black finishes that I would consider. They both cost the same to refinish the whole pistol. I like both, have had both, and know the ups and downs of each finish yet can’t decide. The pistol will be a range toy only and will never be exposed to Kydex. Can anyone sway me one way or the other?

·
Feed my Addiction!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ All excellent points, which is steering me away from black nitride. I remember how much a PITA it was to remove brass kisses from a previous NH around the ejection port and I did not dare use any harsh solvents. DLC is a wonderful finish, for many reasons but alas, it is not truly black! I need a midnight black finish, not dark gray :p

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So I’m needing to refinish a Nighthawk that is currently Cerakoted. I am torn between Wilson Combat black Armor Tuff or Nighthawk Black nitride. These are the only 2 black finishes that I would consider. They both cost the same to refinish the whole pistol. I like both, have had both, and know the ups and downs of each finish yet can’t decide. The pistol will be a range toy only and will never be exposed to Kydex. Can anyone sway me one way or the other?
AT is the safer choice of those two options. Easier to remove and allows you to still make modifications in the future. The black nitride is stronger in wear resistance but that isn't necessary for what you describe.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I agree, stay away from nitride. My guns get deluged and scrubbed with Break Free, so nitride is out.

You might research Ionbond or DLC more generally -- I thought there were some variations in color in different applications by different vendors. Evolution Armory has some info on their website and they state they offer it in colors including black, and the examples on their website look pretty darn black.

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/ionbond

In terms of painted on finishes, the Armory Kote or whatever they call it on my Springfield Pro seems pretty durable.

·
Feed my Addiction!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, stay away from nitride. My guns get deluged and scrubbed with Break Free, so nitride is out.

You might research Ionbond or DLC more generally -- I thought there were some variations in color in different applications by different vendors. Evolution Armory has some info on their website and they state they offer it in colors including black, and the examples on their website look pretty darn black.

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/ionbond

In terms of painted on finishes, the Armory Kote or whatever they call it on my Springfield Pro seems pretty durable.
Armory Kote is decent but does Springfield still offer a la carte customizing? I thought they stopped taking in custom work? I don’t see anywhere on their website where you can send in guns for work.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
^^^ All excellent points, which is steering me away from black nitride. I remember how much a PITA it was to remove brass kisses from a previous NH around the ejection port and I did not dare use any harsh solvents. DLC is a wonderful finish, for many reasons but alas, it is not truly black! I need a midnight black finish, not dark gray :p
I don't know, these are both done in Ionbond DLC and they're black. I'm a poor photographer but you an ask @Raylan Givens, he's seen them in person. That was the reason I went with Ionbond DLC on the first one, I was looking for a polished black finish. The second one was already done when I got it.

·
7,829 Posts

·
Feed my Addiction!
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know, these are both done in Ionbond DLC and they're black. I'm a poor photographer but you an ask @Raylan Givens, he's seen them in person. That was the reason I went with Ionbond DLC on the first one, I was looking for a polished black finish. The second one was already done when I got it.

Dayum! Forget the finish, nice shooting sir!

·
Never Forget
9,819 Posts

I would do this if possible, OP. I suppose it depends on turn around time, overall cost, and your willingness to be separated from your pistol. Wilson AT is a good overall finish when applied properly but it isn't my favorite. It definitely didn't do as well on the aluminum framed guns I owned.

@Sneaky One had the slide refinished in AT on a gun I sold him. He could give an idea of if he would do it again.

Good luck

·
7,829 Posts
@WC145 if those pistols are truly black, please post where they were finished and I will reach out to them. If I can get DLC in true black, then that would be the finish for me.
Ionbond did them both. The polished one was handled through the manager of the gun finishing department at the time, the other was done through the Colt Custom Shop.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.