Wilson Combat Which company forked off of Wilson Combat?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by B81, Oct 26, 2018.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I was talking to the guys at my LGS, and they claimed that Guncrafter Industries was started by Bill Wilson's ex wife and former WC pistolsmiths.

I did a little Internet "research," and came across a similar story, but instead of Guncrafter, it was Nighthawk.

Is any of this true?

All of these companies put out a great product. I don't care what goes on in their private lives. I am curious to know if the guys at my LGS actually know what they are talking about, or if they're just a bunch of bullsh*tters.

2. JandLCustoms

JandLCustoms I have many leather bound books Supporting Addict

May 9, 2018
    As far as I understand Alex Zimmerman was a top gunsmith at wilson and left to pioneer the 50GI Caliber. Nighthawk is also in berryville not sure why though

boatdoc and 41 Charlie like this.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Former Wilson employees started Nighthawk is my understanding.
    Also heard RRA’s founder(s) were former Baer workers.

4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Alex was WC's head of engineering and an excellent (still is) smith. Broke off to form GCI.
    NHC was formed when Stone left and brought a bunch of the WC smiths with him.
    What you'll see is that a lot of those smiths come and go between NHC and WC. Some have swapped out more than a couple of times. From what I understand, there can be some butting heads at WC, so someone will get fed up, leave and go to NHC, then decide they want to come back after a bit. No different than any other niche industry. In med device, my industry, people come and go between the major playes (Medtronic, Stryker, J&J, etc...) all the time. Very incestuous.
    Obviously NHC's selling point is one smith/one gun, while WC specializes in one smith doing something particular. I see merits in both.
    Can't really comment on GCI's methodology. I've had 3 of their pistols and all have been stellar. So, whatever they are doing, they are doing it well.

Mini Me, ronin11, Sneaky One and 3 others like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Former employees of Wilson started Nighthawk and Guncrafter.

6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Ive heard the x-wife story before. I dont believe its true thou.

7. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Correct. This industry is extremely small in the grand scheme of things.

Hardball, Sneaky One and Babboonbobo like this.
  8. gunfighter45

gunfighter45 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 8, 2012
    The Baer/Rock River story is more or less correct as well.

9. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Those that know the real (true) story probably won’t talk about it, especially not on the internet. Ain’t none of my business and wouldn’t care to know in the first place...

Chris O, Busa Dave, ronin11 and 4 others like this.
  10. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    So in other words you're Bill's ex wife?

11. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    Lmao! :D
    Should have said the half-truth.

12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Well, being Bill's ex-wife would also explain your tagline, "Not your typical Wilson Fanboy..."

WHEELS, jmr986, Sneaky One and 5 others like this.
  13. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    That would explain it some, but this explains my tag line a little better...

85D8F398-699A-4906-BC73-FB9D21EF3E8B.jpeg

14. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    All I have to say is that Bill Wilson has to be a most humble person who holds no grudges. Former employees left him and started two different companies almost right down the street from him and I've never heard or read a bad word about it come outta his mouth.

15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    That’s the way it should be, people move on and have their own ideas. That’s how the free market works.
    I’m a journeyman tool and die maker and in a 100 mile radius you will run into everyone at some point at some job!

Kip likes this.
  16. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I also heard that Colt worked extensively with J.M. Browning in developing the 1911 pistol, not Ed Brown...

xerts1191 and gaijin like this.
  17. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I know the people at GCI get along very well with the WC folks. First hand knowledge.

Mike Meints likes this.
  18. DPVY

DPVY Previously DPCC

Dec 1, 2017
    I once had a guy at a LGS tell me that women can only own .38 revolvers.

Babboonbobo and Jollyroger1 like this.
  19. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Additionally, NHC has about half of their smiths in the American Pistolsmiths Guild. Wilson has no "active" Smiths that are in the Guild.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  20. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes there is a story but not for the internet lol. Would not be pretty with the "Fan Boys" :) from both camps. sometimes it is best to just keep your mouth shut and build the best products you can.

Jollyroger1 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted