1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the guys at my LGS, and they claimed that Guncrafter Industries was started by Bill Wilson's ex wife and former WC pistolsmiths.

I did a little Internet "research," and came across a similar story, but instead of Guncrafter, it was Nighthawk.

Is any of this true?

All of these companies put out a great product. I don't care what goes on in their private lives. I am curious to know if the guys at my LGS actually know what they are talking about, or if they're just a bunch of bullsh*tters.

·
I have many leather bound books
588 Posts
As far as I understand Alex Zimmerman was a top gunsmith at wilson and left to pioneer the 50GI Caliber. Nighthawk is also in berryville not sure why though

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
Former Wilson employees started Nighthawk is my understanding.
Also heard RRA’s founder(s) were former Baer workers.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,994 Posts
Alex was WC's head of engineering and an excellent (still is) smith. Broke off to form GCI.
NHC was formed when Stone left and brought a bunch of the WC smiths with him.
What you'll see is that a lot of those smiths come and go between NHC and WC. Some have swapped out more than a couple of times. From what I understand, there can be some butting heads at WC, so someone will get fed up, leave and go to NHC, then decide they want to come back after a bit. No different than any other niche industry. In med device, my industry, people come and go between the major playes (Medtronic, Stryker, J&J, etc...) all the time. Very incestuous.
Obviously NHC's selling point is one smith/one gun, while WC specializes in one smith doing something particular. I see merits in both.
Can't really comment on GCI's methodology. I've had 3 of their pistols and all have been stellar. So, whatever they are doing, they are doing it well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Baer/Rock River story is more or less correct as well.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Those that know the real (true) story probably won’t talk about it, especially not on the internet. Ain’t none of my business and wouldn’t care to know in the first place...

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lmao! :D
Should have said the half-truth.
Well, being Bill's ex-wife would also explain your tagline, "Not your typical Wilson Fanboy..."

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Well, being Bill's ex-wife would also explain your tagline, "Not your typical Wilson Fanboy..."
That would explain it some, but this explains my tag line a little better...

85D8F398-699A-4906-BC73-FB9D21EF3E8B.jpeg

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
All I have to say is that Bill Wilson has to be a most humble person who holds no grudges. Former employees left him and started two different companies almost right down the street from him and I've never heard or read a bad word about it come outta his mouth.
That’s the way it should be, people move on and have their own ideas. That’s how the free market works.
I’m a journeyman tool and die maker and in a 100 mile radius you will run into everyone at some point at some job!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Alex was WC's head of engineering and an excellent (still is) smith. Broke off to form GCI.
NHC was formed when Stone left and brought a bunch of the WC smiths with him.
What you'll see is that a lot of those smiths come and go between NHC and WC. Some have swapped out more than a couple of times. From what I understand, there can be some butting heads at WC, so someone will get fed up, leave and go to NHC, then decide they want to come back after a bit. No different than any other niche industry. In med device, my industry, people come and go between the major playes (Medtronic, Stryker, J&J, etc...) all the time. Very incestuous.
Obviously NHC's selling point is one smith/one gun, while WC specializes in one smith doing something particular. I see merits in both.
Can't really comment on GCI's methodology. I've had 3 of their pistols and all have been stellar. So, whatever they are doing, they are doing it well.
Additionally, NHC has about half of their smiths in the American Pistolsmiths Guild. Wilson has no "active" Smiths that are in the Guild.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Those that know the real (true) story probably won’t talk about it, especially not on the internet. Ain’t none of my business and wouldn’t care to know in the first place...
Yes there is a story but not for the internet lol. Would not be pretty with the "Fan Boys" :) from both camps. sometimes it is best to just keep your mouth shut and build the best products you can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts