Dan Wesson Which do you prefer? Another Question Added

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Integrity Arms, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    All right taking out of the equation that one of these pictures is a Nighthawk custom, and the other is a Dan Wesson Valor in Duty treat. Which of these two pistol Blends do you like better?

The area in question is directly behind the trigger as you can see on the Nighthawk there is no Crescent there but that area is Blended down into one smooth swoop around the magazine catch. On The Dan Wesson Valor you can see a definitive quarter moon Crescent as the line is pretty pronounced.

I have never really noticed this before but as of late I've been doing a lot of undercutting and blending under the trigger guards and the different shapes this area can take. I have noticed while trying to remove the definitive lines around the magazine catch that sometimes the only way this is accomplished is by nearly removing that Crescent. So, while I realize that either of these are acceptable which do you actually prefer? download.jpeg 9838-1-large.jpg

FWoo45 likes this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Here is a pic of the Nighthawk frame and the DW. The stainless shows the area in question a better.
    Understand you are asking about black models.

Personally, I like the Nighthawk better. It is a bit from traditional scallop reliefs, seems a bit more custom.

AC05315B-171D-44B7-AAAA-4E3DC2C8A21C.jpeg 70C0F81B-D9BA-4353-ABE5-48F2E0D639D7.png

FWoo45 likes this.

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Nighthawk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1911fanatic and Steve Owens like this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually stainless or black either one didn't really matter was just I prefer the Nighthawk as well I think it allows you to blend around the magazine catch more rounded and everything just seems to blend a lot better you can accomplish that by not taking the Crescent completely out but just merely making it a lot smaller but to me that kind of looks half done. Thinking that I want to start blending that area like the Nighthawk is Blended and make that line straight above the trigger guard as well. Thanks for the input hopefully a bunch of others will chime in with their thoughts.

Kip likes this.
  5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Nighthawks blend

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I don't have a preference they both look good to me.
    That said overall the nighthawk gun is more appealing to the eye.
    The particular area or part you are asking about I don't think really matters to me.

Steve Owens likes this.
  7. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Definitely the Nighthawk.
    If need be I'll take that Duty Valor and never release pictures...:D

Steve Owens and 1911fanatic like this.
  8. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Nighthawk 100%. I own a valor, it’s nice, but it isn’t nighthawk nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Owens and Kip like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The part that bothers me most about the crescent isn't necessarily the appearance of the crescent or the line it'self, It's that when you blend after undercutting the trigger guard and blending around the magazine catch, the line of the crescent leaves a line in the curve around the mag catch.. If that if the look around the mag catch of the Valor, you can see where the bottom line terminates into the mag catch. It makes it hard to blend around that mag catch evenly and keep a uniform radius.. Other than that don't mind the appearance of either. But, prefer the NH.

10. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    If it blends easier and you prefer it then you have your answer.
    Nighthawk !!!
    All the way !!!

Steve Owens likes this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    As far as production or semi Custom I think NH does it the best.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Nighthawk, I agree NH really is on their game, my kestrel is an amazing gun

8.jpg 9.jpg

1911fanatic, 1L26, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    A2 commander.jpg View attachment 153515
    I have really been wanting one of these Kestrels, shot Bobo's 9mm when he was over last weekend. One of these days. I just noticed one day while looking through some photos that these guns lack that moon shaped Crescent and I was just stricken with the fact of how it flowed together back there. a lot of times that I am blended that area that is the look I was striving for without even realizing that NHC already forged their frames like that lol... So I think on the A2 commander I am doing, I will be attempting to file out that line on the crescent and blend it like the night hawk frame.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Kip likes this.
  14. A45GUNNER

A45GUNNER Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I prefer the Nighthawk blend

15. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Never noticed it before. I don't have a preference appearance wise. I'm curious though in how they compare in feel.

FWoo45, WHEELS and Kip like this.
  16. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Same as I'm thinking on feel.
    That would depend on the individual,be nice to have a stable-full of each to test...

Badabing11 and WHEELS like this.
  17. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    NH.

Functionally I can't imagine it matters a whit. And the Valor is nice. But it seems like it has about 4 different CNC cuts around the trigger and mag catch, and the intersections form ridges and points. NH is definitely more refined looking.

[edited to add]
    If you're going to handcraft something, and you're looking to go all out, blending all those ridges and points into a smooth curve would be a nice piece of craftsmanship. Lots of folks might not notice, but some would.

Personally, I appreciate that kind of work more than the fancier and more obvious stuff like slide top embroidery and such. That's nice too, it's just that there is something a little classier about doing stuff people subconsciously appreciate even though they can't tell you what it is.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Kip and Steve Owens like this.
  18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    This was exactly what I was looking for here. Functionally it makes no difference whatever.. But Aesthetically, makes a ton of difference around that mag catch area.. When trying to blend that area those high points and ridges are a real troublesome area to make look good. Looking closely as you obviously did that lines, ridges and high points can be pretty pronounced. Now Nighthawk forges their frames that way to begin with. But, the DW's among others are more conventional. I'm not sure if any other maker copies that area and blends it like that out side of hand blending for a custom job or not.. But again. Kimbers and Colts are especially troublesome in those area's as well. It actually takes a lot of time and patience to try and work out those lines. I have successfully done it on about 3/4ths of the ones I have blended there but, the other 1/4th without taking that crescent clear out, it weren't happening. lol

Kip likes this.
  19. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have a Valor in 10mm that is my EDC but, I would love a Kestrel in 10mm....

Steve Owens likes this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I would like to have one as well, but the question for the thread was which aesthetic feature behind the trigger guard do you prefer. The night hawk has no 1/4 moon crescent and the Valor does.. Look just directly behind the trigger.

1L26 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted