Which Entry Level For USPSA?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by polizei1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok, so I think I'm finally getting my brother into shooting, and after shooting my EMP vs. the XD I have, I think he sees the differences and value of a 1911, besides I also shoot single stack. So, of course he sees the SA Range Officer and likes it, but he wants to shoot 9mm because I already reload. At this point he doesn't know anything about 1911's and very little about guns.

I recommended the Spartan and low and behold, I was super surprised to see one at a local gun show today! I'm thinking entry level, the cheaper the better, but it needs to be competition ready (no GI). I figured the Spartan would be the best choice at ~$600. Add a magwell, FO front, some grip tape and new grips. I know I can get these at Shooters Connection, but I can get dealer price on guns, so keep that in mind.

Is there a better option I'm missing?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    None that I'm aware of in that price range and quality for the dollar.

3. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Like this.

I am truly impressed with the build on this gun for the money. The slide has absolutely no vertical or horizontal play, Already has LPA adj rear and FO front sights. Barrel/bushing lock up is almost Baer like. Trigger is pretty decent as is. All in all, I am happy with my decision to get the Spartan over the 9mm loaded. I am running Chip McCormick shooting star 38 super mags and get 10+1 with them.

In fact... I had it out today. I took a few out to shoot up partial boxes of ammo in the safe. Was disappointed when I ran out of 9mm

[​IMG]

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Awesome, good to hear! Any reason why you're running .38S mags?

I was thinking Chip or Wilson mags.

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Really? No one else has an opinion about the Spartan? WTH, I thought this was an addicts forum!?

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    My first 1911 was a Spartan. I don't think you can get a better gum for the money.

7. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    They almost always seem cheaper and in stock when looking for mags, and they are 10+1

8. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Possibly picking one up Wednesday. :thumb:

9. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Were in the world are you getting one around here? Never seen an STI in a local shop.

10. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    you need to find a better shop :p

11. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Hell, I've never even seen one in Arkansas, and I go to a LOT of gunshows, and have been in several shops.

Bob

12. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm picking up a "used" one that has 50 rounds through it. There was one at the Goodman's gun show on Saturday in Sharonville, OH. If you really want one, your best bet is to buy one off Gunbroker. There's a guy selling them for $600 with free shipping.

13. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Good choice! Spartan's are a really well put together gun

14. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Ahhh I do see Kyles Gun Shop which is in the general area also has some Spartan 9s though I think he is a bit higher. I have just never seen an STI around here in a shop.

15. shatteringstar

shatteringstar Member

Feb 9, 2012
    One Shot in newtown has a used one for $650
    i like it but wouldnt pay that for a used one that i know nothing about (history or possibly aftermarket parts)

16. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
  17. E_Tackleberry

E_Tackleberry Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Second that. I've purchased from Phil at Bellshireguns before. It wasn't for an STI, but I was very pleased with the transaction. Everything was as described. Very quick and professional, too.

18. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    So it is Thursday. Did he/you get it?

My Trojan shows it will be at my FFL this evening along with my other new toy... but I can't drive out till Friday night.

19. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Yea he got it. Feels really good, I'm REALLY impressed with the quality for the money. I'm sure the Trojan is even better, that's what I would like to run but I can't afford one. The previous owner took up some of the pre-travel in the trigger and swapped the recoil/msh springs to a slightly lower weight, and changed the FO to green. The trigger feels great, very slight wear on the gun (only 50 rounds through it). Only complaint is the plastic MSH and the slide-frame fit was IMO, a bit loose, however for a $600 gun, the Spartan is incredible. Can't wait to shoot it!

Are you going to get into competitions this year?

20. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah I am going to try to make at least one a month, at least that is the plan.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted