Which Hammer Style Do You Prefer on a Full Size 1911??

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Nalajr, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I'd like to get some thought and opinions from you all.

I have a Full Sized Colt NRM in Blue that I've just allowed to sit in the safe unused. Well, I am going to start enjoying this pistol while I'm still relatively young. I also have been wanting to make a few changes to it to personalize it. Some of the things I want to do to it are to tighten the slide to frame fit, new ignition set from Harrison, new beavertail if needed, new grips, maybe some replacement sights and that's about all that's in my mind at this time.

One part that I am having trouble deciding on is what type of hammer to use. I LOVE the round Commander styled hammer, but I also like the wide spurred WWI style hammer. Of course the Harrison spur type hammer that's been ground down to enhance carrying is very nice too.

I don't think I'd have to have a new grip safety fitted if I went with the wide spur WWI or the Harrison concealment standard spur hammer similar to the one that comes stock on the NRM. If I went with the ROUND Commander hammer, I'd likely want to go with a concealment styled grip safety like the Wilson Concealment Beavertail, but I don't know if that model will work with that ROUND Commander hammer. SO if I went with this hammer, I'd likely be looking at spending more money to get a grip safety shaped and fit to the pistol.

Decisions, decisions. I need to make my mind up and then start saving up to get it done or at least do what I am able to do on my own and then send it to get the harder stuff done by a professional.

What hammer type do you prefer on your full sized 1911 pistols? If any of you have taken your stock 1911 full size and done some custom work on it, what hammer did you go with? If you have pics, I'd really like to see them. I think seeing various examples might help me make my mind up as to which one I would prefer.

Thank you everyone for your time and help.
    Have a terrific weekend.

Larry

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I like this new one from Extreme Engineering. Light, fast, and easy to cock even with the co-witness sights at the back of the slide.

IMG_0066.jpeg

Whiten, JNW, WHEELS and 1 other person like this.
  4. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I really dig the round Commander hammer, though the light weight Doug Koenig looks pretty good too.

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I like the early style wide spur hammers on a classic looking Colt. John Harrison fitted one to my King's '48 Commercial Gov't, I had him trim it just a bit to make sure it wouldn't bite.
    [​IMG]

I also like the Commander hammers. I had a Joe Bonar ORM 1991A1 Commander and he would countersink/bevel the hole in the hammer and I like that look a lot so I had the same thing done to a couple of Commanders I had built. It's a small detail but, to me, it makes a real difference in the look of the gun.

Bonar-
    [​IMG]

Dietrich-
    [​IMG]

Clevinger-
    [​IMG]

6. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Commander for me also....
    [​IMG]

45ACP_ray, 1911 dawg and WC145 like this.
  7. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I have always preferred the Original WWI 1911 hammer.
    It is just right for my 67 year old hand. I fit one to my
    1973 MKIV Series 70 1911 with no problems.
    It also looks cool IMHO. :)

rmac and wrmiller like this.
  8. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    2A053D57-5C83-4BC8-B912-A5E1EBFE2800.jpeg F5720175-64B6-4891-9B70-E3E6809A8D09.png

Not the only, but one of my favorites.

1911 dawg, wrmiller and WC145 like this.
  9. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    LORD Have Mercy.....what GORGEOUS pistols!!

Thank you all kindly for taking the time to add your thoughts and pics to this thread. Now I am thinking I need a couple more 1911's.

Larry

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    . You can get it at Thunder Mountain Custom. It is the Extreme Engineering Comet Hammer - Chamfered model.

Bully, wrmiller, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    WC,

I must say, the standard round hole commander hammer has been my LEAST favorite hammer style until I saw yours with the countersunk hole. That "small detail" really sets those apart.

Z

Geoff and WC145 like this.
  12. kwkid55

kwkid55 Member

Nov 14, 2018
    I REALLY like the wide spur hammer, safety and short beaver tail!

WC145 likes this.
  13. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    @WC145 I really like the Clevinger Hammer the best! That would look amazing in a “2-tone” finish! I’m gonna put the Beveled Commander Hammer in my build notes. Someday I will have a full custom build done.

WC145 likes this.
  14. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Another vote for the old WWI type hammer, but I can use all types.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted