1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious which light folks are running on their AR's these days? Latest and greatest or older Surfire's still? Elzetta? Malkoff? Thinking of maybe adding a light to a couple of my guns.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,000 Posts
Modlite

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, never heard of them, what do you like about them?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,000 Posts
Interesting, never heard of them, what do you like about them?
Rechargeable 18650 batteries are superior to anything else out there on the market
Ability to positively ID at over 150 yds. I'm not aware of anything with a throw like that
Rugged build and construction

What I don't like is the price, but the one I have has worked flawlessly and is a beast for lighting up targets.

Reactions: FWoo45 and simonp

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Streamlight Pro-Tac HL-X

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was involved in my agency’s flashlight comparison test and evaluations. In several different situations, numerous lights were tested. Each light was assigned a number, so the viewers could pick without bias. I ran the lights, so I knew which was on, but they were all new to me and I didn’t have a preference.

Unanimously, the Streamlight ProTac Rail Light 1 won, overall. It did not win every situation with every observer. We found that lights much brighter than 600 lumens was too bright for clearing houses (reflection of bright light on white walls). Less than 500 lumens lost too much beyond 200 yards. The beam was of particular importance. Too wide, just made indirect light everywhere-good for movement detection, but bad for seeing objects, such as if the person was holding a weapon or a phone. If the beam is too narrow, you lose peripheral vision as the light forces tunnel vision. The Streamlight ProTac RL1 had the best balance, out of the lights we tested. This was a lot of what set it ahead of the others. The TenTap is really cool, as well.

My light has been through some shooting classes and a week long SWAT course where it got banged around and hasn’t caused any issues. I am a believer in it enough it’s what I put on my personal rifles.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-1

ETA: I had the link for the brighter one. We got the RL1, not RL2’s.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was involved in my agency’s flashlight comparison test and evaluations. In several different situations, numerous lights were tested. Each light was assigned a number, so the viewers could pick without bias. I ran the lights, so I knew which was on, but they were all new to me and I didn’t have a preference.

Unanimously, the Streamlight ProTac Rail Light 2 won, overall. It did not win every situation with every observer. We found that lights much brighter than 600 lumens was too bright for clearing houses (reflection of bright light on white walls). Less than 500 lumens lost too much beyond 200 yards. The beam was of particular importance. Too wide, just made indirect light everywhere-good for movement detection, but bad for seeing objects, such as if the person was holding a weapon or a phone. If the beam is too narrow, you lose peripheral vision as the light forces tunnel vision. The Streamlight ProTac RL1 had the best balance, out of the lights we tested. This was a lot of what set it ahead of the others. The TenTap is really cool, as well.

My light has been through some shooting classes and a week long SWAT course where it got banged around and hasn’t caused any issues. I am a believer in it enough it’s what I put on my personal rifles.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-1
I can see where more than 600 lumens may be too much. I love my 1000 lumen Streamlight HL-X when I’m outside but I have blinded the **** of myself with it when inside.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I can see where more than 600 lumens may be too much. I love my 1000 lumen Streamlight HL-X when I’m outside but I have blinded the **** of myself with it when inside.
We are also issued ProTac HL 3’s, which come with the first on 1,100 lumen, second 35 lumen, third is strobe. I never found the strobe useful and often found myself clicking twice to get to low beam. Using the TenTap, I changed it to low, then high, no strobe. This has been much better and saves the batteries.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another one I’m not familiar with - what made you choose them / what do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
We are also issued ProTac HL 3’s, which come with the first on 1,100 lumen, second 35 lumen, third is strobe. I never found the strobe useful and often found myself clicking twice to get to low beam. Using the TenTap, I changed it to low, then high, no strobe. This has been much better and saves the batteries.
I have never found the strobe useful either. Supposedly it is disorienting to anyone you’re pointing it toward but I find it very distracting for the guy behind the gun too. I’ll have to check out the HL-3. Having a lower setting would be very useful.

Reactions: Dub and FWoo45

·
Dremel jockey
3,988 Posts
I want 1000 lumens plus for a 556.
With 9mm smg's, I'm happy with 400.

Reactions: simonp

·
We Are!
2,675 Posts
I still have a rather “old” (2009-era) VTAC mount and a SureFire. The light, G2-sized (I don’t remember the exact model - it may indeed be a version of the G2) is an LED model; I had an incandescent aboard for quite some time. Currently mounted to my “FrankenCAR,” a Bushy lower and an upper of unknown lineage set up to sort-of-mimic an XM177 / CAR-15 look.

63826489-AAA2-4380-A2D3-2F55298E7836.jpeg
796C83FF-E126-42DC-9EDD-F0BE18F54274.jpeg

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Surefire m600df, surefire X300, Streamlight TLR-1. Modlite. Inforce. All great options. Some gun guys hate on the brand but I haven't had any issues with my O-light brand light either. There are pretty affordable as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts