1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I have deep affection for my Nighthawk long slide 10mm, and I sold my Glock 40, which was a long slide 10mm. That said, were I to want one strictly for handgun hunting, I would have kept the Glock. Low maintenance, wouldn't care if it got scratched, dirty, or wet in the brush. One less thing to take up brain cycles that could be dedicated to the hunt.
I actually own a Glock 40 MOS with an RMR , a 7" KKM barrel and a Johnny Glock trigger. Just looking for something a little nicer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think the Kodiak or Bruin from Dan Wesson would be my choice. Not that the NHC's, GI's EB's, etc. aren't great, but the DW options seem to offer quite a bit for the money.
Other than what looks like the frame what are the differences between the Bruin and the Kodiak?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Kodiak is light bearing and the bruin does not. If you are shooting hogs, I would want a light on it. Same reason I have a railed RIA LS. A bright 1000 lumen light and 17 rounds of pig thumper before a mag change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Kodiak is light bearing and the bruin does not. If you are shooting hogs, I would want a light on it. Same reason I have a railed RIA LS. A bright 1000 lumen light and 17 rounds of pig thumper be for a mag change.
Ah I see, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The utility of the Kodiak is appealing, but to me the Bruin is a very attractive gun. We don't have hogs in southern Oregon and for that reason I would go with the Bruin just because it appeals more to my eye. The Bruin is one of the guns that I like enough to validate getting back into 10mm, but in all fairness it's pretty easy to talk myself into why I need or want a pistol, especially a 1911 and especially a DW.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,746 Posts
My first 1911 was a Kodiak. GI did a little work on it. Great gun.

But If I was to buy another LS 10mm it would definitely be a Nighthawk.
With your budget you can get a nicely loaded one from NH.

Good luck with your search!

Edit: BTW, a Bruin would be my second choice. I don't really like rails on a 1911.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My first 1911 was a Kodiak. GI did a little work on it. Great gun.
View attachment 748470

But If I was to buy another LS 10mm it would definitely be a Nighthawk.
With your budget you can get a nicely loaded one from NH.

Good luck with your search!

Edit: BTW, a Bruin would be my second choice. I don't really like rails on a 1911.
Thanks for the insight .
Very nice 10mm btw!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I suppose if it is that kind of party...

I agree with OldCuz. Given your budget, it would be hard to beat a Nighthawk tailored to your personal tastes.

I run the ever loving hell out of mine in Bowling Pin. No reliability issues, shoots flat and fast. Allows me to go to the limits of what I am capable of with ease and repetition, and still rack up a few wins every now and then against youthful enthusiasm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I suppose if it is that kind of party...

I agree with OldCuz. Given your budget, it would be hard to beat a Nighthawk tailored to your personal tastes.

I run the ever loving hell out of mine in Bowling Pin. No reliability issues, shoots flat and fast. Allows me to go to the limits of what I am capable of with ease and repetition, and still rack up a few wins every now and then against youthful enthusiasm.

Very nice LS

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Below is my Bruin in 10mm I bought several years ago.

However if I want to boony bang with 10mm I take one of my Ruger Blackhawks in 10mm. Here is my shorter barrel one with my Ruger SR1911-10.

I see the second 40 S&W cylinder of the Blackhawk getting milled out to 10mm Mag in many cases. Granted only a couple companies sell loaded 10mm Mag but Starline sells the brass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Below is my Bruin in 10mm I bought several years ago.

However if I want to boony bang with 10mm I take one of my Ruger Blackhawks in 10mm. Here is my shorter barrel one with my Ruger SR1911-10.

I see the second 40 S&W cylinder of the Blackhawk getting milled out to 10mm Mag in many cases. Granted only a couple companies sell loaded 10mm Mag but Starline sells the brass.
Fine looking shooters!

·
born in the wrong century
5,268 Posts
I actually own a Glock 40 MOS with an RMR , a 7" KKM barrel and a Johnny Glock trigger. Just looking for something a little nicer.

I've been sitting on a G40 MOS.

Factory trigger feels like...well, you already know what it feels like.

I ordered the JG trigger.......it arrived, but he didn't have the right shoe on it and is sending the right one this week.

The factory barrel fitment is a sloppy affair....lots of play.

Waiting on a BarSto....that's gonna be a while longer.

Grabbed some 10-8 high sights and a Holosun 509 with C&H plate.

Over time I've now sunk enough dinero into that G40 that I could've made a huge dent into the cost of a LBC 6" 10mm.....which, is the 6" 1911 that has my interest.

For the 5K you mentioned there is a pile of sweet gats in your reach.

2011's, too....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've been sitting on a G40 MOS.

Factory trigger feels like...well, you already know what it feels like.

I ordered the JG trigger.......it arrived, but he didn't have the right shoe on it and is sending the right one this week.

The factory barrel fitment is a sloppy affair....lots of play.

Waiting on a BarSto....that's gonna be a while longer.

Grabbed some 10-8 high sights and a Holosun 509 with C&H plate.

Over time I've now sunk enough dinero into that G40 that I could've made a huge dent into the cost of a LBC 6" 10mm.....which, is the 6" 1911 that has my interest.

For the 5K you mentioned there is a pile of sweet gats in your reach.

2011's, too....
I know what you r feeling. Now the the glock has its place, pretty bullet proof, shoots awesome with KKM barrel, not too worried about banging it around. ect.....
Just looking for something a little nicer at this point..

21 - 40 of 53 Posts