1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the choice between the following two 1911 45 ACP pistols to buy but want to know from those who know which one is best...let's say which one is "overall" better. Thankx.

S&W Performance Center 1911

-or-

Colt Gold Cup National Match

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,921 Posts
My choice would be the Colt.

I don't like external extractors (assuming the S&W has one like most do) and I do like Colts. That's my reason.

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
My choice would be the Colt.

I don't like external extractors (assuming the S&W has one like most do) and I do like Colts. That's my reason.
+1

I think that S&W might be the only company short of Pistol Dynamics that does external extractors that work,BUT,I simply don't trust the damn things.

DAT85

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd go over that colt with a fine toothed comb first... I've just seen way to many out of spec guns from them to buy one without a serious inspection.... then test fire session afterwards. I've got several in house... all decent guns. The newer stuff is better.. true.. but I've still seen some wild stuff.

Swith & wesson? I've got one in the shop.. good tolerances for a factory gun.. goes bang.. reasonably accurate... no immediate worries.

Colt is one of those makers that when they get it right in a gun, its awesome... but when they dont.... ug... its a headache. Smith & wesson is more center of the road...

If I was buying sight unseen... I'd take the smith.

·
~
246 Posts
I like Colts a lot and I do not like S&W 1911s at all; it is not very hard to figure out which one I would buy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1

I think that S&W might be the only company short of Pistol Dynamics that does external extractors that work,BUT,I simply don't trust the damn things.

DAT85
hey, lets not forget about Sig. i have a Sig1911 that shoots WONDERFULLY. i put 200 downrange just yesterday, bringing my rounf count up to approx 1350, and i havent had a SINGLE issue.

having said that, i'd probably go Gold Cup, because i dont likre the goofy fishscale thingies milled into the S&Ws, no other reason, just aesthetics

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
I would ask if this is "sight unseen" as well. Personally, I'm not overly fond of either BUT if that's what you have to choose from.. There's a lot of both of them out in the world running just fine.. Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys...YES those are the two I have to choose from. Not Sig, Not Ed Brown, not Les Baer just these two models.

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
Thanks guys...YES those are the two I have to choose from. Not Sig, Not Ed Brown, not Les Baer just these two models.
OK.. Can you handle them? I would probably lean toward the S&W.. BUT.. I could go either way depending on what I saw.. Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will be my first 45 ACP, but I do have & shoot large pistols. It will mainly be used to target practice not so much for CCW.

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
It will be my first 45 ACP, but I do have & shoot large pistols. It will mainly be used to target practice not so much for CCW.
I mean can you get them in your hands to compare? Colts are nice, but it's best to check them out first.. The S&W's seem to he good running pistols. Some are a-bit loose and a safety or two have been known to break.. But S&W will fix anything that breaks.. Ron

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
4,848 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This will be a target and overall fun range gun and NOT A CCW.
And what is the biggest difference & complaints between the Colt 70 model & 80 models?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts