1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was looking for alternatives to the Harrison Retro U-Notch rear sight I used on my Zoids build.

@Slapshot was kind enough to send me an MGW GI cut rear sight he had mounted on a Colt, but changed his mind on. When I got it, I found it was a tiny bit too wide (0.05") for the original dovetail in the slide I am working on. I was determined NOT to mill the slide, so I went and got the old tried and true Harrison Retro U-Notch.

When it came in, I found it to be 0.065" too wide. I was bummed, but my melancholy was short lived. The Harrison rear sight came with fitting instructions, so I thought, "Hey, why not?"

Truth be told, I didn't install the first Harrison into Zoid's One. I sent it with a brass bead to a smif to install for me. He had to cut a dovetail for the front sight anyway, so I had him install both. No idea what he needed to do to install that first one.

Anyway, armed with John Harrison's suggestions, I went to ahead and fitted both.

Now I cannot decide which rear sight to keep on this one. What say the Addicts? I apologise in advance for the crappy cell phone photos.

The first two photos are the MGW, the second two are the Harrison.

Brown Tan Gun accessory

Wood Hardwood Teal Turquoise Electric blue

Bicycle accessory Teal Turquoise Hardwood Electric blue

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Wood flooring

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang it, I forgot the voting buttons. Is it possible to add them?

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
2,120 Posts
Harrison by all means. I can see why slapshot changed his mind on the MGW. I know I'm up late, I slept in till 4:45 this morning and I can't sleep.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, those abrasions on the side of the slide were there when I got this one. The original sight was so loose, I pushed it out with my thumb.

The fitting I did was 100% focused on the sight.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,807 Posts
What is the width of your dovetail? I have a sight here...The U notch the overhang to me as far as it is, seems unsightly lol... But I have a fully adjustable that come off this milspec build I am working on.. Mine is .325 btw..

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
As much as I’d like to be a contributor to a Zoid build I’d have to go with the Harrison myself. Too much overhang on the MGW and the opposing angles don’t look right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely the Harrison. The MGW looks too big on that slide in my opinion. Would catch on clothing in concealed carry is one of you intended uses.

Reactions: ZoidMeister
1 - 14 of 14 Posts